Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VAAPI, 24p, vsync, Ubuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Originally wanted to build a storage server, bought a E350 board (MSI) because of the SATA ports. It has an integrated HD 6300, so I figured that I should be able to get VAAPI running and maybe use the box as a all-in-one (and ditch my ION machine).

I'm pretty close, but run into a strange problem. Followed the instructions here to get things up and running, works great. Running the XBMC-PVR PPA to get a pre-compiled XBMC with VAAPI enabled. I did all of that on Ubuntu 10.10.

Everything works, but 24p mode, which my TV supports. As soon as 24p (XBMC setting adjust display to framerate) is enable AND wait for vsync is enabled, the image looses overscan settings and starts a really strange stuttering. Lke it's hopping back and forth within a few frames the whole time.

Tried DVI and HDMI, the TV is reported right in Xorg.0.log, without vsync I get tearing and basically no setting in the ATI settings applet makes any difference (except, of course the vsync settings you have there).

Has anyone gotten 24p, VAAPI working properly on Linux?
what driver version of catalyst do you have installed?
Qroach Wrote:what driver version of catalyst do you have installed?

The latest greatest I'm running, from the ATI website:

(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:8.84.5
(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: 8.841
(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Apr 5 2011 21:43:54

I'm thinking in the direction of driver-bug or my TV that is not recognized correctly when it comes to timing. But one strange thing is that the overscan settings (the slider in ATI control panel) are lost when switching to 24p mode. It's the original setting again AND the strange stuttering (not tearing, but stuttering I'd call it). 24p without vsync: tearing. 60p with vsync: works. Strange eh?

edit: I'm running 2.6.35-28-server Ubuntu 10.10. Not sure if the kernel has anything to do with anything, would be strange, right?

I guess I'll revert back to the plan where I have a seperate storage computer and keep using my Ion for HTPC tasks. :-)
Just wanted to tell that I have the same problem (but Ubuntu 11.04). As long as I don't have the 'adjust display to framerate' media is displayed fine (but 60hz if it's 24p material). If that setting is enabled, media has a constant flashing/jittering.

I can't remember if (when vsync is disabled) the refresh rate is correct, but then I have the regular tearing happening =(.

Next thing I want to try is doing stuff with the modelines in the .conf file, maybe that'll work, or if someone posts a suggestion here, I'll happily try that Smile

(PVR build running on Asus e35m1-deluxe E350)
Wohoo! I'm not alone! :-)

I was thinking the same with modlines, but the complete list of modes that I found in my xorg, together with the fact that my Ion based machine works fine makes me think that my Sony panel ID's itself quite OK and that the problem is not a missing mode...

Please post your progress in this thread so I can try some new ideas if you find something.
Well, since you said you connected it straight to your tv (sony here as well, but I've got it hooked through a receiver (hdmi)), I figured it wouldn't be the modelines either.

I tried compiling the git-master (vaapi enabled), and running that I still have the constant jerkiness/flashing with the 24p and 'adjust display to framerate' option enabled.

So that didn't help yet =), might try doing the modelines tomorrow or so, but inclined to think driver-bug as well. I'll see if I can downgrade to catalyst 11.3
Guys, I have exactly the same problem. Without XBMC setting "adjust display to framerate", 24p video plays OK, but with tearing. Enabling it, i see the same jumping-back-and-forth strange thing that you described. I'm using this xbmclive, 10.10 maverick, dharma 10.0 build, and 11.3 ati drivers, on a 55" samsung b650 LCD tv. Xorg log looks fine here as well, i see a bunch of modelines detected, and it works because my TV reports the changes between 24p, 50 and 60hz, when XBMC adjusts the refresh rate according to the actual movie. (Change to 24 fine as well.)

Afaik, under windows, it is possibe to set vsync in driver level and also in xbmc, and setting it in the driver (the control center) eliminates the need to set in in xbmc. I wonder if there is such a setting somewhere in linux driver?
Well, I think it's an XBMC problem. I have installed mplayer with vaapi acceleration, and after setting output to 24p and forced vsync in ati control center, mplayer plays all my files perfectly. So i think we should file a bug report about this. I've never done that yet, but shouldn't be to difficult. Wink
Ok, i have filed the bug, let's hope someone will have a look at it soon. Wink
Cool, progress. Slowly I started thinking too about XBMC, but didn't have the time to try any other player. Good news, fixes in XBMC go quicker than in the ATI drivers I guess. Hope something comes up soon, I'm available for testing and debugging of course!
I guess it could speed up a little if you cc Elupus and/or bobo1on1 in that ticket so team member notice the problem.
Robotica Wrote:I guess it could speed up a little if you cc Elupus and/or bobo1on1 in that ticket so team member notice the problem.

How can I do that?
same here Wink

Only if i have "change frequency" enabled! If i play the same movie with disabled change of framerate, it is smooth "o" shows me 23.967 fps but the stange thing is that i have an porder of around 5 pixels on the top which seem to be cut of from the bottom and placed on the top...

Any ideas?

hm no matter what i use as framerate (50 or 60) - if i leave ssync in system settinsg enabled, it plays with 24p smooth so far but with some strange errors on the top. If i turn on "change framerate" in video settings, it stutters completely.

Edit.

the line error on top is defintly away if i turn on "change framerate" which gives my the same result of information pressing "o" but totally stuttering. No Framedrops at all by the way.
I think you should check your xorg.conf. Are all resolutions and hz correct? If not try with modelines. Also a full debug log would help t identify what is happening.
i will.

thanks 4 this tip.

The question is why xbmc plays the movie in 24p when i set 60hz in system settings and vsync on.
Pages: 1 2 3 4