Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: change default player in context menu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Using Cirrus Extended v2 skin
When I bring up the context menu for a movie and select play using, there are 2 choices available (DVD player which is the default and Windows Media Center).
I would like to have the Windows Media Center as the default choice, where is the setting to do this? I have been unable to find it.
I don't want to change this to the default player for all movies, as I have playercorefactory.xml set up to use WMC for my DRM files. I just want to have it default to WMC when I select a DRM file without having to bring up the context menu and select WMC to play the file. Thanks.
You'll need to do some stuff with the <rules> section of the playercorefactory.xml file (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...playback):

Code:
<rules action="prepend">
<rule video="true" player="wmplayer">
   <rule dvd="true" player="dvdplayer"/>
   <rule filetypes="mkv" player="VLC">
     <rule filename=".*720.*|.*1080.*" player="MPC-HC"/>
   </rule>
</rule>
</rules>

The above example is copied from the wiki but you should be able to do something with the filename rule. e.g. add *.DVR-MS files or whatever your extension is to get it to work for you.
changing the default player in advancedsettings.xml is much more simple:
<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename>C:\python26\python.exe</filename>
<args>c:\mplayerc.py</args>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

btw: if you search this forum you can find lotst of info like this...
Yes, but doesn't that change the default player for everything?

As I understand it, he just wants to change the default player for the DRM files.
Like I said in my post, I don't want to change the default player, I just use WMP to play a few files that will not play in XBMC by default. I have the playercorefactory set up to play them (which works fine), I just want the context menu to show WMP as the default rather than DVD player as it is now, so that I can just select the movie and it will automatically play without bringing up the context menu and select play using... and then select WMP. I hope I am explaining this clearly. I have not found any info on how to do this.
Thanks.
gcdlz,

If I understand it, you want the DRM files to play in Windows Media Centre, and everything else to play as normal.

If this is the case, then the suggestion in my post should work - you'll just need to play with the rules to match your files.
OK I changed the file names to include _DRM at the end and used filename=*_DRM* in playercorefactory and that resulted in not having to use the context menu to play the files.
Thanks for the help.
This is not a skin related feature, try to post your question in the xbmc support thread.