Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: new AFPClient for iOS/OSX <--SOLUTION FOR LION USERS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Thanks to the hard work of Memphiz and others, XBMC for Mac and iOS/ATV2 now has an internal AFPClient. So now there are many choices of how to access video content from servers.

ZeroConfig should work and for a fallback you can enter the afp url directly, the format is
Code:
afp://[[user[:password@]]server[/share[/path[/file]]]] .

Needless to say, there might be issues and that's what this thread is all about. We want GOOD feedback regarding the new AFPClient. If you have issues and do not include xbmc.log and detailed info about your setup... you will get ignored Smile

Known issues:
1) The first connect might fail (spinning wheel is spinning for more then 30 secs). In that case abort the connect by pressing "Menu" on the remote and try again. It works after a couple of trys. If its connected once - everything else should work.
2) On a Mac, you need to enable AFP sharing in System Preferences > File Sharing > Options.
3) AFP paths are case sensitive. If you're editing sources.xml directly (not browsing for the path) make sure to pay attention to case. SMB paths are not case sensitive. E.g. afp://192.168.1.7/MyVideos/ and afp://192.168.1.7/MYVIDEOS/ are two different paths under AFP.
4. AFP is generally stable but may crash in a few situations. Unfortunately the upstream developer of the AFP library is no longer around so it's orphaned for now, i.e. no one to do bug fixes... for now. If it crashes for you, probably best to try WebDAV or FTP.

BEWARE

Just wanted to point to this:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AFP

When using MacOSX and trying to share via AFP only HFS+ formatted drives are shared. There is no warning / nor an error message - it simply doesn't show up that shares then. This is the issue some users already have seen when trying to share FAT32 drives on lion via AFP.
Next nightly build will have this in about 6 and a half hours (from this post time)
Saw this in the commits and was overjoyed....thank you, thank you!!! Will try it out tomorrow first thing and report back.
canadave Wrote:Saw this in the commits and was overjoyed....thank you, thank you!!! Will try it out tomorrow first thing and report back.

And just after we got the NFS wiki all sorted out..... Rolleyes
Cranial Wrote:And just after we got the NFS wiki all sorted out..... Rolleyes

hahaha....I didn't want to say it, but.....yeah.... Tongue I guess that means we'd better start planning the AFP wiki! Nod
oh, and davilla, what's a user assword? Wink Rofl
canadave Wrote:oh, and davilla, what's a user assword? Wink Rofl

hrhr, damm wiki, fixed now.
davilla Wrote:hrhr, damm wiki, fixed now.

It's okay, we know there's some pretty complex code required there, you'll get the hang of it Wink
YAY!!! Of coarse, I'm using NFS at the moment, but it's still nice to know I have more options. Great job Team-XBMC! You guys are effin AWESOME!
And first i have to add one known issue.

The first connect might fail (spinning wheel is spinning for more then 30 secs). In that case abort the connect by pressing "Menu" on the remote and try again. It works after a couple of trys. If its connected once - everything else should work.

Needless to say that NFS is much more cleaner in all behalves Big Grin (libnfs is cooler, code is cooler, protocol is cooler, upstream dev is cooler - and even accessable).

hf
Memphiz Wrote:And first i have to add one known issue.

The first connect might fail (spinning wheel is spinning for more then 30 secs). In that case abort the connect by pressing "Menu" on the remote and try again. It works after a couple of trys. If its connected once - everything else should work.

Needless to say that NFS is much more cleaner in all behalves Big Grin (libnfs is cooler, code is cooler, protocol is cooler, upstream dev is cooler - and even accessable).

hf
This behavior is on "Lion compatible" sharing (OS Lion, recently upgraded NAS) only or with every kind of share ?
Guys, thanks a lot.
First look, running it from multiple usb external volumes of an IMac, part wireless part LAN. Atv2 connected briskly through zeroconfig. Played 24gig mkv with dts ma, no probs. Great start, thanks Smile
OK, it sort of works for me. It's something on my side, with my NAS, that's not working; it works fine on my Mac Pro and my laptop.

http://pastebin.com/a5pKAPKh

It looks to me like it's trying to connect to port 548 on my NAS...not sure if my Synology is listening on port 548 for AFP?

I'll do some more investigating.

*** EDIT ***: the Synology DOES use port 548 for AFP. And it is enabled (have been using it for my own computer LAN connections to the NAS for some time now). But not working in this case with the ATV2. That's strange....hmmmm.........

*** EDIT 2 ***: Duhhrrr...let me try davilla's manual connect and see if that's the issue. I bet it is.

*** EDIT 3 ***: Yep, it works when I manually type in the username : password@IP/sharedfolder to access the share rather than browsing. It's too bad it doesn't "just work", but, oh well Smile It works, bottom line! I'm playing TRON:Legacy 1080p .mkv file from my NAS to the ATV2 via wireless LAN, working great, no buffering/stuttering.
@canadave : are you sharing something without necessary login/password on your NAS ?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17