Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to know when there is a new PPA?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As title, how do we know when a new ppa is available?

Thanks
Hi.
What do you mean by a new PPA? New PPAs are created all the time.

If you mean new releases on a given PPA are available, that's easy. If you have a full desktop, the system will tell you there are available updates.

Command line version:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

h.udo
I meant for xbmc-pvr,

I.e from here http://packages.pulse-eight.net/ubuntu/install-xbmc.sh
The script installs an apt source into the sources list. From this moment this source is updated with new software versions automatically. If you want to update, run the update manager of the GUI or just use the command line (like hudo said)

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get update looks for new software releases on the source
sudo apt-get upgrade will update your installed programms and libs

Also you can run the script again. Should do the same.
to check what's new after apt-get update:

aptitude search ~U
Polyamid Wrote:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get update looks for new software releases on the source
sudo apt-get upgrade will update your installed programms and libs

Also you can run the script again. Should do the same.

Be careful of "sudo apt-get upgrade" you could break your system! Better to just run "sudo apt-get install xbmc" again.
... as I think most of us have learned the hard way. Updates to X will break your startup process, for example, and kernel updates can kill off any TV tuners you have until you re-install/re-compile.

Nothing disastrous if you're knowledgeable and/or prepared to give it a go, I've never yet met a problem that I couldn't fix. Indeed, it's arguable that you shouldn't be using development PPAs if you don't think you can fix the breakages - but break something will, sooner or later.

But we all know that and upgrade regardless, don't we? Rolleyes