Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dune style configurations - dune_folder.txt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm an owner of a Dune Smart B1. What I love about this unit is the ease and flexibility of adding custom backgrounds and icons.

On Dune, If you have dune_folder.txt in your folder and the corresponding images, when you navigate to that folder on dune, you can see the icons of the subfolders and/or a background. No need for a separate jukebox app or database generation. So it's very simple and they are mobile within my folders.

Is this possible with XBMC? I want to simply put two images in a folder (one for icon that the parents sees and one for background), then be able to configure how each folder is shown (with or without background).
Sure. If you're using the file mode, just add folder.jpg and fanart.jpg to the movie subfolder and it'll display in XBMC.

Having said that, you're missing out on a lot that XBMC has to offer when using the database. Also, there's no need to use 3rd-party programs unless you want absolute control over what is added. XBMC's built-in scrapers are all you really need.
folder.jpg works for thumbnails yes but fanart.jpg doesn't. I just put a fanart.jpg and when I go inside the folder, the background is not changed.
Zodler Wrote:folder.jpg works for thumbnails yes but fanart.jpg doesn't. I just put a fanart.jpg and when I go inside the folder, the background is not changed.

Ah, well damn. I thought that would have worked. Sorry mate.
Zodler Wrote:folder.jpg works for thumbnails yes but fanart.jpg doesn't. I just put a fanart.jpg and when I go inside the folder, the background is not changed.

They'll show once you have scanned your library. Then they'll show in file mode too.
That's the whole point. I don't want to scan my library. When I go into a folder, I want to see the background changed if the file exists. That's the power of Dune. I was quite surprised by it's simplicity. You stay in file mode but with complete control over the look of the icons, backgrounds and lists.

You can configure each folder the way you want and it's quite easy, fast and portable. For example you can make a background for a series and show the list of files inside it in a specific place on screen. Or configure that when you are inside a movie folder, you just see the background (which could be the movie information) and no file list, clicking would start the movie.
Ok fanart.jpg actually works but not the way I thought. It doesn't work when you go inside the folder. It works when you are in the parent folder and select the item/folder, then the background of the parent changes.