Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Resolution change on launch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm running the latest pre-Eden builds on OSX Lion. I update the build every few days and I just notice that since perhaps the build from December 5th, that XBMC is changing the system resolution when it launched, or at least it is of me.

Macbook Pro connected to 1080P HDTV by mini display port to HDMI cable. System running in 1080P with overscan enabled to get a proper full screen display. Works fine, has done for ages.

Now when XBMC launches, it's switching to 1080i which seems to mess with the overscan amounts and pushes the screen past the edges (zoomed in effect). I can task switch to the dock and launch system pref's to switch back to 1080P and then the display is just fine again.

This is repeatable, and it does not go back to 1080p on exit either, it leaves the system running interlaced.

It's a new change, is it by design, can I turn it off, or is it a bug?
thanks.
My guess is you have 'adjust refresh rate enabled", osx just received the full ability to change the display settings"

As always, we ask for xbmc.log Smile
I suspected that setting and already checked it, it was off.

log file here http://pastebin.com/UXeR1Fs6
I'm also noticing that the display (in xbmc only) is darker than usual, like the gamma is down or something, incase that helps at all
mat____ Wrote:I suspected that setting and already checked it, it was off.

log file here http://pastebin.com/UXeR1Fs6
I'm also noticing that the display (in xbmc only) is darker than usual, like the gamma is down or something, incase that helps at all

XBMC found the following 3 1080p modes. The issue that it gets darker might be that it is switched to 60hz now, which it wasn't before? Could you switch through the resolutions in System->Video and see if your desired resolution will be set there? It might be a invalid entry in your guisettings.xml or so ... not sure if this is even possible though.

Code:
19.14:20:09 T:2901496512    INFO: Found possible resolution for display 0 with 1920 x 1080 @ 50.000000 Hz
20.14:20:09 T:2901496512    INFO: Found possible resolution for display 0 with 1920 x 1080 @ 24.000000 Hz
21.14:20:09 T:2901496512    INFO: Found possible resolution for display 0 with 1920 x 1080 @ 60.000000 Hz

Davilla - i definitly don't take interlaced resolutions into account - see condition here:

Code:
if( (bitsperpixel == 32)           &&
    (safeForHardware == YES)  &&          
    (stretched == NO)             &&          
    (interlaced == NO)               )

I have no clue how it should happen that it switches to such a mode ...
I'm seeing a similar behavior on my AppleTV1 since the 12/5 or 12/6 nightly. Now when I start it switches my TV from 1920x1080@60 to 1280x720@60, but the screen is completely black and I cannot see anything. I can control it and manage to Quit, but can't see anything.

I will do a fresh install tonight and see if that helps, if not, I'll post a log. I just wanted to note that this appears to affect AppleTV1 as well.
could you guys try if moving your guisettings.xml file away and let xbmc create it from scratch fixes it?
That was actually the first thing I tried, but it didn't seem to help. It did create a new guisettings file, but screen was still black / wrong resolution.
Same thing happening to me with AppleTV1, on XBMC launch screen goes black and crazy with Dec8 nightly
Black screen with Dec 9 nightly as well on ATV1.
try the next upcoming nightly please and give feedback again - thx...
xbmc.log from the ATV1 would be very interesting to see.
Hi Memphiz, sorry for the delayed reply. The system was running at 60Hz before launching XBMC and the display app in OSX does show the 24, 50 and 60 Hz settings as available. I've tried switching to each of them before launching XBMC with no benefit. Inside of XBMC various resolutions are available but no way to pick which refresh rate.
Glad to see others are experiencing a similar issue though, I was concerned that it was my hardware and not XBMC causing it! If there's any testing I can do, just ask.
Mat.

Memphiz Wrote:XBMC found the following 3 1080p modes. The issue that it gets darker might be that it is switched to 60hz now, which it wasn't before? Could you switch through the resolutions in System->Video and see if your desired resolution will be set there? It might be a invalid entry in your guisettings.xml or so ... not sure if this is even possible though.

Code:
19.14:20:09 T:2901496512    INFO: Found possible resolution for display 0 with 1920 x 1080 @ 50.000000 Hz
20.14:20:09 T:2901496512    INFO: Found possible resolution for display 0 with 1920 x 1080 @ 24.000000 Hz
21.14:20:09 T:2901496512    INFO: Found possible resolution for display 0 with 1920 x 1080 @ 60.000000 Hz

Davilla - i definitly don't take interlaced resolutions into account - see condition here:

Code:
if( (bitsperpixel == 32)           &&
    (safeForHardware == YES)  &&          
    (stretched == NO)             &&          
    (interlaced == NO)               )

I have no clue how it should happen that it switches to such a mode ...
mat____ Wrote:Hi Memphiz, sorry for the delayed reply. The system was running at 60Hz before launching XBMC and the display app in OSX does show the 24, 50 and 60 Hz settings as available. I've tried switching to each of them before launching XBMC with no benefit. Inside of XBMC various resolutions are available but no way to pick which refresh rate.
Glad to see others are experiencing a similar issue though, I was concerned that it was my hardware and not XBMC causing it! If there's any testing I can do, just ask.
Mat.

retry with current nightly please and see if you issue is fixed now...
Memphiz Wrote:retry with current nightly please and see if you issue is fixed now...
Boom. Fixed!

Many thanks, enjoy the rest of your weekend Smile
Still wonky picture for me on ATV1 with dec10 nightly
Pages: 1 2 3