Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC and media data(posters/backdrops)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have setup my librarys with a mediamanager(Media Center Master) so all movies got the following files in there folders:

backdrop.jpg
backdrop1.jpb
backdrop....jpb
backdrop17.jpb
fanrt.jpg
folder.jpg
movie.nfo
mymovies.xml

This is how the scraper is setup on XBMC for this share :

Share settings
Run automated scan YES
Scan recursively YES
Exchange path from library updates NO
Use Folder names for Lookup YES (this hade to be set, else XBMC fetched all media from internet)

Scraper settings
Enable Fanart YES
Enable Trailer YES
Prefer Trailer from HD... NO
Preferred language en
Get ratings from IMDB NO

With this settings the correct thumbs/posters is used but the resulotion of the posters is vary small!! The thumbnails is blurry and even worse when opening the information panel for a move.

The folder.jpg one a specific movie in my share got the resolution : 800x1200 but even then the thumbnail in XBMC becomse blurry?
Im updating this issue with some images :

This is how my Aeon NOX Movie wall looks like :

You can see that some of the thumbs is blurry, if we hit "i" (extra information) we can see that the thumb/poster have vary low resultion :

The folder.jpg for this specific movie is 800x1200 on 381 KB so XBMC is obviously not using the one from my chare?

We can also find some duplicates that MCM do not show :

One is blurry and one is.

I know that this photo is not good but the poster is blurry irl.

My share holds a poster for this movie that is 1000x1500 and is named folder.jpg. XBMC is obviously not using this thumb eather?

The duplicated movie does however use a much better poster(probably the one from my share) :

I have now invested about 2 weeks of hard work to get this working well but XBMC will simply not cooperate? What am I doing wrong?
You know there's a printscreen function in XBMC right?
It saves the screenshots to a specified folder.

You can set Aeon Nox to always user poster.jpg if you want.
I don't think Aeon Nox even uses folder.jpg anymore except for music albums.

the backdropxx.jpg should go in an 'extrafanart' folder inside you movie folder

mymovies.xml isn't used by XBMC

and i hope you mean fanart.jpg instead of fanrt.jpg
Martijn Wrote:You know there's a printscreen function in XBMC right?
It saves the screenshots to a specified folder.

You can set Aeon Nox to always user poster.jpg if you want.
I don't think Aeon Nox even uses folder.jpg anymore except for music albums.

the backdropxx.jpg should go in an 'extrafanart' folder inside you movie folder

mymovies.xml isn't used by XBMC

and i hope you mean fanart.jpg instead of fanrt.jpg

Okay, that does not sound good Sad

I have used Media Center Master and according to them it should be complatible with XBMC, it does even have a special settings tab for XBMC.

But it will save the following files in the folder and its not possible to change as far as I know :

backdrop.jpg
backdrop1.jpg
backdrop15.jpg
movie.nfo (the file that MCM crates for XBMC)
movie.tbn
mymovies.xml (file used by MCM)
fanart.jpg
folder.jpg

Now subfolders is created.

I supose that MCM suport is not good after all, is there another working Media Manager that works with XBMC?
Ember Media Manager
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116941

Is was an old project that now has been picked up again.
I notice that : If Im on my XBMC just visit my shared folder (not using the library folder in XBMC) all the thumbs/posters is loaded coreccly from the share and if I hit i I can see that its the correct poster.

So I sopose that MCM is not complatible with XBMC, it do simple not generate the correct layout and files.

I am now looking at the Ember Media Manager to see if this can fix my problem. It is able to save backdrops to a specific folder (extrafanart) this is what it will generate :

extrathumbs [folder]
-thumb1.jpg
fanart.jpg
movie.nfo
movie.tbn
[filename-fanart].jpg
[filename].tbn
[filename].nfo (same as movie.nfo)

How do I set Ember Media Manager to save just what XBMC needs?
You should be able to chose what you need. Haven't tried the 'fixed' version yet but there should be some check boxes

This is all you need:
extrathumbs [folder]
-thumb1.jpg
extrafanart [folder]
fanart.jpg
movie.nfo
movie.tbn (or movie.jpg)
Martijn Wrote:You should be able to chose what you need. Haven't tried the 'fixed' version yet but there should be some check boxes

This is all you need:
extrathumbs [folder]
-thumb1.jpg
extrafanart [folder]
fanart.jpg
movie.nfo
movie.tbn (or movie.jpg)

Thanks!

extrahumbs [folder]
-thumb1.jpg
-thumb2.jpg
-thumb3.jpg

These thumbs is really fanart/backdrops and not thumbs? Is it supose to be that way?

extrafanart cant be saved in a extra folder? The only folder that is possible to create in Ember is backdrop folder(extrahumbs ) and the files that is placed in this folder is the thumb images stated above?
snowjim Wrote:Thanks!

extrahumbs [folder]
-thumb1.jpg
-thumb2.jpg
-thumb3.jpg

These thumbs is really fanart/backdrops and not thumbs? Is it supose to be that way?

extrafanart cant be saved in a extra folder? The only folder that is possible to create in Ember is backdrop folder(extrahumbs ) and the files that is placed in this folder is the thumb images stated above?

Depends on what you want. My add-on downloads fanart as extrthumb because i haven't found a goof way to extract these as an add-on.

If you use 'extract during scraping' it will use actual movie images.
I would advise 4 because no skin does use more by default unless you want to start modding it.

I thought it was possible to download extrafanart. Better ask in the Ember thread then
For example after scraping the movie Date Night with Ember Media Manager, here is what I get in the movie's folder:

.actors folder
extrathumbs folder
Date Night - 2010.mkv
Date Night - 2010.nfo
Date Night - 2010.tbn
Date Night - 2010-fanart.jpg
Date Night - 2010-trailer.mp4
folder.jpg

All of the above items work perfectly in all views and all skins for xbmc. I know that there are other naming conventions for the various files in the folder that work as well but the above does work and is also easy to keep track of.

hope something helps
You should really use Ember.
I scraped nearly 800 Movies yesterday.
Sorted into folders and renamed everything.
Just watch a movie while scraping because sometimes you have to chose between titles.
Okay

I have now used Ember on my entire library and this is how the settings looks like:

And this is the genereated files :

folder.jpg
fanart.jpg
movie.info

Sometimes a extrathumbs folder is created. I can see in Ember that all movies got poster and backdrop.

When adding this share to XBMC I use the following settings :

Share settings
Run automated scan YES
Scan recursively YES
Exchange path from library updates NO
Use Folder names for Lookup YES

Scraper settings
Enable Fanart YES
Enable Trailer YES
Prefer Trailer from HD... NO
Preferred language en
Get ratings from IMDB NO

Then XBMC updates the share I can see that it make downloads and again the tumbs is not the once from my share!?

If I switch Use Folder names for Lookup to No then it will take some of the thumbs from my shares (higher resulotion) but alot of movies do not get any thumb at all even when I can see in ember that all movies have poster and backdrop!?

I have checked XBMC WIKI go suport the formation of files (folder.jpg, fanart.jpg and movie.info) so what is the problem?

Pleas note that every movie is contained in a folder with the same name as the movie and in most cases the content of the folder is rar archives.

Edit1: When running with Use Folder names for Lookup set to NO it takes alot longer for XBMC to refresh the database, maby it is downloading thumbs even in this mode but in that case bigger thumbs.

If I enter my share when not in library mode all thumbs is loaded fast from my share and it looks like it should but as soon as I let XBMC update its database and switch to library view there is problems?