Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Release] Movie Library Comparison Tool
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I created this program this afternoon to quickly and easily compare two movie libraries to determine which titles are missing from each. I may add some more basic features if there is interest. Please be sure to read the included README.txt file before asking questions.

Quote:Movie Library Comparison Tool by hogfan

version 0.0.1

Purpose:

Movie Library Comparison Tool was created in an afternoon and was not designed to have extensive features (although a few things may be added eventually). The tool was designed to provide a fast way of comparing two movie Libraries to determine which movies are missing from each.

Requirements & Caveats:

Currently the application only looks for movies with .mkv extensions. This requires your movies to be .mkv, but easily filters out any thumbnail, trailer, and fanart that may be in the same folder as the movies.

currently the application does not recursively scan your movies library, so movies in subdirectories will not be found.

How To Use:

Download and unzip the executable on any Windows machine that is able to access the Local/Remote movie Library.

On the Windows machine at the location of the Local Library, run Movie Comparsion Tool.exe.

Click "Load Local Movie Library" and then Browse to the folder where your movies are located. Click "OK" and your local movie Library will be populated into the listbox.

Now go to a machine at the Remote location and load the movie Library. This time click on "Export Movie List".

Copy the Exported movie list to a flash drive and take it to the location of the Local Library (or just email it to yourself).

Now back at the Location of the local Library, Click on "Import Movie List & Compare Libraries"

You will now see the movies needed at each location to make both Movie Libraries match and we be able to export each list to a text file.

Download Here:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzhIn-G...U0MDUzYmYy
Wow, no interest at all? Anyway I will be adding support for .mp4, .m4v, .avi, .iso, & .mts file extensions, as well as implementing a feature to exclude movie trailers.

I will also add recursive directory searching to search for movie in subfolders. Any other suggestions will be considered as well.

I only made this because I was unable to find any other application out there that allowed you to easily compare two libraries.

So is there just no interest in the tool, or are the current features lacking?

-hogfan
Well that´s something that will come in handy for me next week.
Will report back if i´m having any trouble.
Sounds interesting, but definitely needs to support all possible extensions. Most people have individual folders for each movie too (not me though!), so the recursive option you're adding will help.
Also, maybe some feature to .."equalize" the two libraries, i.e, copy the .nfo, thumbs, etc between them or even the actual movie files should a user so desire.
hogfan Wrote:Wow, no interest at all? Anyway I will be adding support for .mp4, .m4v, .avi, .iso, & .mts file extensions, as well as implementing a feature to exclude movie trailers.

I will also add recursive directory searching to search for movie in subfolders. Any other suggestions will be considered as well.

I finally had some time for my little side project and to be honest due to the lack
of the features above I couldn´t use your tool.
Since I wanted to compare the movies of two NAS-server with a lot of different shares I ended up comparing my two xbmc databases through:
SQLite Compare
bit messy but very effective.
SOunds like an interesting tool.

So does it compare two SQL db's? OR...can it also compare a SQL db Vs all the movies on a NAS? This 2nd item is the one that would be of interest to me - the ability to compare library mode and file mode.
New version with Lots more features coming shortly.

-hogfan
Any update on when the next version is coming? Without the ability to scan recursively I can't get too much use. Perhaps you may even want to publish your work on an open source project in google code so others could help advance the features.
Any update to this tool? Maybe a chance for a linux version?

Works awesome tho on Windows