Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC keeps resetting my display
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recently I've been having issues with XBMC resetting my display (HDTV connected via HDMI). The screen blanks (loses connection) and then comes back a few seconds later, but XBMC is confused as to the resolution and is either too big or too small. Windows itself seems to have coped with the loss/regain of signal OK as far as resolution goes but the other applications experience the same confusion (they think they're maximized even though they don't take up the full screen).

This happens both when playing video, and also even when browsing through the interface. I don't seem to have the problem when not using XBMC.

I'm running Dharma 10.1 stable. I just upgraded the driver for my video card (Radeon 6310) to the latest (8.93). The debug log is here, which contains my system details etc. If there's anything else I should provide please let me know.

Thanks.
OK, looks like it wasn't XBMC. It's a really strange "bug" with my Philips LCD TV where if I repeatedly press buttons on my Microsoft MCE remote (like I do when navigating the XBMC interface) then my TV will reset, regardless of XBMC being open or not.
How weird.
I know its not a XBMC issue, but did you ever figure this out? Im having the same issue with my HD6450, Windows 7, and Sanyo TV.
No, I just had to resort to using a Harmony remote instead and it happens much less frequently now.
It's too bad because I really liked the Microsoft remote.
My tv resets too, but only when i play a video using DXVA, at start and stop. If I don't use DXVA works fine. Is that normal ? My setup: Pentium Dual-Core E5200, Nvidia GT440 with the latest drivers, Win7 32 bit, 32' Phillips LCD TV as second monitor connected with a hdmi-hdmi cable. The resetting occurs even if tv is set as the only output. Any ideas ?
Here is the log. First time I played the video with dxva, then I disabled the dxva and played the video again. When starts to play the video with dxva enabled, the screen resets like when changing from hdmi 1 to hdmi 2.
I did some more testing: I changed the hdmi-hdmi cable with a dvi-hdmi one, the same result. Even if I use a full screen or fake full screen, the same problem. However, if I use a windowed xbmc, problem does not occur. Does anyone has any idea ? I want to use dxva even though the CPU can handle HD material because of the PureVideo. Thanks in advance.
Google EDID override
thesuffering Wrote:I know its not a XBMC issue, but did you ever figure this out? Im having the same issue with my HD6450, Windows 7, and Sanyo TV.

I made some progress on this issue. I think it's the light sensor on my TV (Philips 40PFL5505D/F7). If I have the TV in PC mode, where it doesn't alter the picture at all, I get the reset issue. However, if I put it in HDTV mode (where it does some picture enhancements and frame interpolation) and turn the light sensor off (the light sensor is "active control", whatever that means), I no longer have the problem. So the issue isn't really fixed, but I found a work-around.
I realized it wasn't just the MCE remote when it happened with my Harmony remote also once in a while. I'm not sure why the MCE remote caused it to happen much more frequently though.
(2012-02-28, 09:48)DDDamian Wrote: [ -> ]Google EDID override

Thanks, I did some researching, but it doesn't seems to be what I'm looking for. Anyway, after some testing I found out a solution: in Nvidia Control Panel - Adjust Desktop Color Settings at Content Type Reported to the Display I changed from Auto-select to Full-Screen Video. That solved my display resetting problem. I hope it will help others with the same issue.
(2012-05-04, 13:58)Galefury Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-28, 09:48)DDDamian Wrote: [ -> ]Google EDID override

Thanks, I did some researching, but it doesn't seems to be what I'm looking for. Anyway, after some testing I found out a solution: in Nvidia Control Panel - Adjust Desktop Color Settings at Content Type Reported to the Display I changed from Auto-select to Full-Screen Video. That solved my display resetting problem. I hope it will help others with the same issue.

Thanks, that solved that issue for me when dxva is enabled. My screen went black ,projector and it took eternities for it to find signal.