Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Slow performance with video thumbs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Guys

Is it just me or did all views with video thumbs got little slower as of lately?

I have resonably small thums in grid view and they look like scaled full thumbs not like cached ones. Needless to say scrolling is a bit jerky on my mac mini (2009).

Performance with music thumbs (almost all 600x600 embed ones) are waay better.

I have no advanced settings, everything is on defaults on Beta 2.

So, is this my imagination, is it platform related or is it a known issue?
Friendly ping Smile

I'm pretty sure something is out of order as both Music and Photos are way quicker than movie thumbs in grid/icon/thumbnail/wall view.

For instance, I have no problem holding down and scrolling through 800 photos (all are at least 4Mpx) but it gets jerky with Movies.

Reproducible in Confluence, as well.

EDIT:

And let me add - Eden RC2, OS X 10.7.3. It also happens on ATV2.
Check your debug log - the thumb loader may be busy working away still.
There's no fanart in my grid view? Ok, will check some more, looks like it is ok with local stored media and problem is with those on NAS.
OK so I opened up grid view, waited a bit to make sure all processes are finished (like extracting codec info from files) and afterwards I was holding UP and DOWN in order to scroll.

Thumb loader seems to kick in as soon as I start to scroll, making scrolling jerky. http://pastebin.com/Rm41b85H This is with 170 Movies in library.

I have no such issue with 424 Albums in Music library http://pastebin.com/vNJiFbR0 or even more (4Mpx) items in Pictures. In this cases it seems that XBMC "prepares thumbnails upfront" as opposed to Movies where it's done "on demand".

MBP 2.66 Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, NVidia 9400M

Pre-load items? Background loading?
You mean do I use them?

I have same issues with Confluence and here, again, Pictures and Music are fine.

I have another thing that might be related and is as well reproducible in Confluence - in list views, when holding up/down and fast scrolling, Thumb and Reflection gets out of sync. Everything is fine with normal speed scrolling.

I suppose nobody else have this issues so I don't know if all this is OS X related or my setup related.

Can you make a video so that we can see the relative difference?
(2012-03-23, 14:04)Balinus Wrote: [ -> ]Can you make a video so that we can see the relative difference?

Well, I can try. Never did this before Smile
(2012-03-23, 19:08)pecinko Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-23, 14:04)Balinus Wrote: [ -> ]Can you make a video so that we can see the relative difference?

Well, I can try. Never did this before Smile

it's easier that skinning. Wink
Does disabling fanart make a difference? If so, enable DDS fanart.
(2012-03-24, 09:29)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Does disabling fanart make a difference? If so, enable DDS fanart.

No, this does not help.

However, don't know why but, deleting video.db and re-scanning all video content did the trick.
I noticed the same problem with the video.db many times... sometimes everything gets very sluggish, window open/close lags etc... after deleting and rescanning everything works again.
Which one should I delete? I have MyVideos34, MyVideos44, MyVideos48, MyVideos54, MyVideos57, MyVideos58, MyVideos60?
Pages: 1 2