Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need help learning how to create a Video Addon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been using xbmc for a few years now. I would like to learn how to create a video addon based on a website I like to visit but the wiki didn't explain much.
Can anyone suggest the best way to begin learning how to do this?
i want to learning to
douggoodwin Wrote:I've been using xbmc for a few years now. I would like to learn how to create a video addon based on a website I like to visit but the wiki didn't explain much.
Can anyone suggest the best way to begin learning how to do this?

catlak Wrote:i want to learning to

i also noticed the wiki wasn't really helpfull Wink

Best to just start with some other video add-on (start with an simple one) on how that one is coded in combination with the wiki.
This pdf is also a great starting point
http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-gpodder-in...loads/list

Note:
There are some changes needed for Eden11.0
It took me ages to get started with the XBMC/Python thing (since I didn't know Python) but for sure the best way is to take an existing add on that does roughly what you want (and for video there are scores of examples)..and then go through it literally line by line to work it out. Well, that worked for me.

I have found that the best way to get good/quick answers it to ask specific but detailed questions. Not so much 'how do I'...requiring basically someone to implement the whole add on to answer it for you, but more 'Ok I have got to here and I am stuck on this thing'

also - check out parsedom as way of pulling URLs etc. from pages - it's sweet - very easy to use and you don't have to get your head around regular expressions which are almost a language in their own right.