Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Samsung SmartTV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,
Sorry if this issue was addressed before but I could not find any information relative to it:

I am new to using XBMC (or any similar software actually). I just bought a Samsung TV and I would like to stream movies from my Macbook pro to the TV. I have installed the latest version of Eden without problems and I can browse through my movies on the TV (without XBMC interface unfortunately), but when I try to play a movie (AVI) I get an error message saying the file type is unknown... Is there any solution to this?
XBMC is for computers/devices connected directly to your tv via a video cable. I is not for streaming to smart TVs.
Or you can install Plex server on a Mac, Windows or Linux PC and use your Samsung TV as a Plex client.
Thanks for your replies :-)

So it seems I got it wrong... I will try to buy an external harddrive and connect it to the TV. Would it be possible to get some advice on the type of setup I should use? As I said I am new to this and I have no clue about where to start. I have had a look at the wiki but there are so many sections that it's difficult for me to get an idea. For example are there any specific hardware that would be recommanded for the storage place? What should it be formated with? Would I be able to send movie files from my laptop to the external HD (I guess this depends on the HD...)

In the mean time I'm gonna take a look at Plex, thanks for the hint.
You can connect your MacbookPro with an HDMI cable to your TV or AV amplifier and it also sends sound including DD and DTS
This is a higher quality option than streaming
I do not think so as the Plex server does not transcode the stream. Also DTS and DD is possible with HDMi ARC or optical output. Another benefit is that 3D media is automatically recognised. A downside is no cinema smooth, at lest not with the firmwares I tried last autumn.

An external disk is not very practical, as it has to be reconnected each time new media is added.
Ok... thanks again for the help. I guess the only straight otion is HDMI (whichI knew about) but I still need to find a way to have a media manager working with my mac and TV...
Run XBMC on the Mac and mirror the output to the TV via HDMI?
Torroa Wrote:I do not think so as the Plex server does not transcode the stream. Also DTS and DD is possible with HDMi ARC or optical output. Another benefit is that 3D media is automatically recognised. A downside is no cinema smooth, at lest not with the firmwares I tried last autumn.

An external disk is not very practical, as it has to be reconnected each time new media is added.

One, this is xbmc.org, not plexapp.com

Two, Plex Media Server does transcode.
Use serviio if you want to play your media over upnp, as xbmc's upnp server doesn't support samsung tvs. Serviio can also transcode, but its not needed as samsung TVs can play most formats, avi, mkv, mp4 etc.