Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Switching from Media Browser Unwatched Overlay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, I was told to ask this in the skinning forum. I hope that I get more responses here.

I am thinking about switching from Media Browser to XBMC. One of the things I can not live without is the ability in poster view to see the unwatched overlay on the poster that shows me how many unwatched episodes or moves are below it in the folder.

Here is a perfect example: Image

I have tried XBMC a few times and have never found a way to do this. Does anyone in this community know how to get the unwatched part looking how I want it to look?

Also for a follow up question. I have a silicon dust hdhomerun for OTA television. Is there support for this in XBMC?

Thanks for all the help, bing281
Just out of interest are the numbers showing how many episodes are available. Edit I'm sleeping re-read your post "UnWatched Episodes"

Would be possible for a similar view, but requires a lot of work Smile
Mudislander Wrote:Just out of interest are the numbers showing how many episodes are available. Edit I'm sleeping re-read your post "UnWatched Episodes"

Would be possible for a similar view, but requires a lot of work Smile

The numbers are showing how many unwatched episodes are left in the folder.
The eye icon means it is unwatched.

Thanks, bing281
The episode count does interest me, but I can see problems with font sizes and real estate space - my eyesight is not the best Smile May play around with that idea, but I'm afraid the rest of the view doesn't match Convergence style
So there is no skins that currently show the unwatched count per folder? Thanks for the help.
It's possible to show unwatched count per season or per show, yes. I seem to recall MediaStream used to do this.

You have the watchedcount and unwatchedcount properties, as well as totalcount (or something similar to that!)
I use Aeon Nox, in series view it does show the number of unwatched episodes under the highlighted item. It's not an icon though, however you can toggle hide watched/unwatched easily. The same goes for movies. Have a look at it for yourself, it may be what you're looking for.

Make the leap from MediaBrowser, you won't be disappointed. I did over a year ago now, haven't looked back since. IMO better hands down, the only thing not fully implemented yet is HD audio (there are already workarounds) but that is simply a matter of time........Nod
Deano316 Wrote:I use Aeon Nox, in series view it does show the number of unwatched episodes under the highlighted item. It's not an icon though, however you can toggle hide watched/unwatched easily. The same goes for movies. Have a look at it for yourself, it may be what you're looking for.

Make the leap from MediaBrowser, you won't be disappointed. I did over a year ago now, haven't looked back since. IMO better hands down, the only thing not fully implemented yet is HD audio (there are already workarounds) but that is simply a matter of time........Nod

Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering how you handle OTA / CableCard television also? By HD Audio do you mean that it does not decode or that it will not pass thru DTS and DD HD?
There is a budding coder who is currently working on some pvr support for Nox, check the forum for more info. As far as HD audio goes its a bit of a minefield with regards to information. Here are a couple of links I found through a quick search:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=880031&postcount=1

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ight=audio

I think the first link is probably of more use to you. Nod
I have been looking around at skins and none seem to do what I want. I also find it hard to get to recently added / recently watch and so on. From installing Media Portal and Plex it seems that both of them do this pretty easily. I wonder why XBMC does not as it seems that Media Portal and Plex are forks from XBMC.
I would like to understand why someone should use unwatched if you have a watched flag? No flag = unwatched. There are a lot of skins showing watched and nonwatched, just not as a flag but as label.
butchabay Wrote:I would like to understand why someone should use unwatched if you have a watched flag? No flag = unwatched. There are a lot of skins showing watched and nonwatched, just not as a flag but as label.

I will try to explain.

First off this is the way I have been using my media for a long time with unwatched heads up display. So I am very used to it. I also get a recently added so I don't have to hunt around for what just got put in the library. This is very handy since I have 130 seasons of TV with just under 10,000 episodes and 550 movies. Now with that being said that I am used to this way I am not opposed to switching but I don't understand why XBMC seems to be the only one to neglect recently added and unwatched for some reason.

Now for an example.

I don't care about what I have already watched and I want to know how many I have to go (ie unwatched). So as the picture on my first post shows it shows me in numbers how many in the series are left to go. When I get a new daily show for example it has one and I go yes I can watch the daily show. It is a great way to see the entire collection while being able to see what is left unwatched especially if you like me watch multiple series while working out and switch around depending on the day.

Now for a metaphoric example:

Since I don't care about what I have already watched and only care about unwatched it is very similar to driving in the car and using GPS. I don't care how many miles I have driven I only care how many are left and I want to have that in a heads up display that is not ambiguous to get to.

end metaphoric example.

I find that XBMC seems to have to many button presses. If I click on TV shows I want to jump right into the list of all the shows with counts of unwatched in the HUD so I can choose and watch (media browser does this). Instead I need to click on TV shows then click on files then click left or up or whatever then click on don't show watched then choose. It is way too much for me, or I am just using XBMC incorrectly which is entirely possible as I only try it on my laptop and get frustrated with the amount of clicking around to do simple tasks.

Also there does not seem to be any skins that show recently added or recently watched and so on. Media Browser has this on the main screen and it is such a timesaver.

It seems like the XBMC database has all the necessary information to make the type of display that I am looking for but I am not sure. I have not looked into the current code issues with skinning. However I see that the trend of the XBMC skinners is not to go this route. There seems to be a culture here not to display this type of information and I do not know why.

I hope that helps to explain my thoughts coming from using my media in a different way. If all else fails remember only care about the miles or shows left to go (unwatched) not the ones in the past (watched).

In no way am I an XBMC expert and I do not hope to offend anyone in any of my opinions.

bing281
I think recently added is displayed on the main screen for movies/music/tv shows in Nox and MQ3 at least. I think there is a limit of around 10 recently added items for each. XBMC may not do everything you want but with a little research I think you'll find it comes pretty close. It's just a new tool to master, it takes a little time. Wink
I switched to XBMC over a year ago. Several reasons... Media Browser would not let me "hide" watched TV. I have over a hundred current TV shows in my collection. I didn't want to scroll through all of them to find something new to watch! I like to display only the shows with unwatched episodes!
Also, the ability to turn on/off sub-titles while watching a movie is great. Plus, XBMC streams my Video Podcasts (Tekzilla, TWiT... etc)

Thought I'd chime in.
Thanks for the information. I only really have a few problems. I need to figure out how to do OTA television and cablecard television, then I need to import my watched list if possible.
Pages: 1 2