Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: xxx
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
xxx
I hate to rain on your parade but that MB is probably the last one I would have chosen to use. Here is what the unraid hardware guide says about nforce 4 series chipsets/SATA controllers ...

Quote:nVidia nForce series 5 or above (nForce4 or below NOT recommended, except Asus A8N-SLI)

I don't have one and I didn't search the unraid forums for feedback from users who do but that comment alone would be enough to make me stay away from this MB. You may not encounter any problems but I would have invested a few extra bucks to get an AMD chipset.

Also I would have just kicked in the extra few bucks for 4GB of RAM since you are planning on running SAB/SB/CP. It may not make a huge difference but again why not just upgrade now for a few extra $ and save yourself any future headaches?

There are just my thoughts on what I would do if it were my server. Others may disagree but I would hate to spend $300 building a new server only to find out that because I tried to save an extra $10-20 I now have some performance (RAM) or stability (MB) issue.
xxx
2GB is okay for SB/CP/SAbnzbd... Been running for months and months with 2GB Smile
If you're planning on running a vm, definitely go with 4GB

I am running a single xp(512MB ram) machine and virtualbox is using a total of a little over 1GB ram
xxx
I'd be very interested in how setting up SAB/SB goes. I too am running unRAId and have SAB/SB running on my desktop as well as an SQL server for my XBMC machines. I'd LOVE to get SAB/SB moved elsewhere so your experience setting this up will be of keen interest to me. Likewise I'd like to move the SQL server, I have two unRAID so maybe a split between the two would be smart :-) I don't think I have more than 2gig in either machine but if I do this I might upgrade. There's plenty of add-ons for unRAID these days and with no swap it doesn't hurt to pile on the memory - especially at the prices it goes for these days!

Will you be posting your experiences as you go along setting this up?
xxx
One thing to keep in mind is that if you are going to run SAB/SB/CP then you will want to install those apps onto a HDD that is not part of the array. It is possible to install them onto a data drive that is part of the array but you'll be stressing the array for no good reason. A lot of people install them onto a cache drive but that requires a paid license. Another method is to have a non-array drive in the server just for these apps. This can be done with the free version. I have a 2.5" drive in my server that I use as a non-array drive and I've loaded SAB/SB onto it. The drive will stay spun up as long as the apps are running which is why I'm using a laptop HDD. There are unmenu packages that pretty much automate the installation for 4.7 and plug-ins for 5.0 and beyond which do the same. It is very simple to get things up and running. If you search the unraid forums you'll find lots of guides stepping you through it.
I like running it on the cache... I have nothing else on the cache, so next time I have a HD failure I can just reassign the cache drive to the dead disk's place and rebuild it right away...
xxx
xxx
(2012-03-10, 19:00)BLKMGK Wrote: [ -> ]I'd be very interested in how setting up SAB/SB goes. I too am running unRAId and have SAB/SB running on my desktop as well as an SQL server for my XBMC machines. I'd LOVE to get SAB/SB moved elsewhere so your experience setting this up will be of keen interest to me. Likewise I'd like to move the SQL server, I have two unRAID so maybe a split between the two would be smart :-) I don't think I have more than 2gig in either machine but if I do this I might upgrade. There's plenty of add-ons for unRAID these days and with no swap it doesn't hurt to pile on the memory - especially at the prices it goes for these days!

Will you be posting your experiences as you go along setting this up?

I'm running Unraid 5.0 beta 14 on my HP Microserver with SAB, Sickbeard and MySQL with only 1 gig of RAM and haven't had any issues, it's has been pretty much rock solid. All these extra applications are available as plugins for latest Unraid beta versions and installing is very simple.

I too have a drive that is not part of Unraid array, all the temporary downloads go to it and also the SQL databases. I have to switch from the noisy 3.5" HD to 2.5" drive since it has to be spun up most of the time.
xxx
we like'em tight don't we!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6