Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Choppy playback on a Geforce 8200 - any ideas?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there folks!

Parge here. I usually reside over at the Bit Tech forums, but I was hoping you guys might be able to help me with a specific XBMC problem I’m having for a PC mod project I'm doing entitled Blue Caldera

My setup
A Zotac 8200-C-E ITX motherboard with an onboard Geforce 8200
AM2 4600+ CPU underclocked to 1.6Ghz (so I can run it passively)
1.5GB of DDR2 RAM
XBMC 11.0 ‘Eden’ installed on a 4GB CF drive
Media on network connected via 200mbps homeplugs

My main problem is: choppy performance in HD content

I have enabled VDPAU in the settings (was auto enabled in fact), and set the iGPU frame buffer to 512MB, leaving 1GB of RAM for the rest of the system to use. However, in 720p content with my resolution set to 1920*1080 I get 20-25 fps. If I lower the resolution to 1366*768 I get around 34fps which is better, but 1080p content is still unwatchable. CPU usage is very low, around 13%.

My second problem is: I can’t get it to output at anything higher than 640*480 over VGA (to a projector capable of 1280*720)

Can anyone help me with either of the above?
A 8200 is really low end for running vdpau. It has only half the CUDA cores of a 9300m which is comparable to ION1. My old 9300 finally hit 1080p50 after I installed a second DIMM in order to have dual channel. DDR2 is slow for graphics memory. There is a good chance that your system is just exhausted.
(2012-04-10, 18:10)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]A 8200 is really low end for running vdpau. It has only half the CUDA cores of a 9300m which is comparable to ION1. My old 9300 finally hit 1080p50 after I installed a second DIMM in order to have dual channel. DDR2 is slow for graphics memory. There is a good chance that your system is just exhausted.

So do you think I'd see better performance running it in software mode with the load on the CPU?
You will possibly find that underclocking isn't helping things if its reducing the memory speed too.

(2012-04-11, 10:24)prae5 Wrote: [ -> ]You will possibly find that underclocking isn't helping things if its reducing the memory speed too.

I don't think it does, I'll have to confirm.

I haven't installed any Geforce drivers yet, any ideas if you have to do that for XBMCBuntu?
No need, they should have been installed.
Hi guys!

I am trying to get NVIDIA 9600GT (512MB DDR3) working smoothly with XBMC. However I observe annoying stuff when playing TV-recording (720x576) - horizontal movements are choppy. Best it could be seen on left-to-right "running line". Vertical movements look fine. Beside XBMC I tried to play that with other players: mplayer/mplayer2/xine - with exactly the same result. Windows is playing that just fine.

I am running Slackware 13.37_x64 Linux with fresh NVIDIA driver (V295.33). Exactly the same is happening with V280.13

P.S. I tried to play same movie with KNOPPIX 6.7.1 (32bits) and got better result with kaffeine (libxine). The only problem, kaffeine is a "monster" itself so could hardly be integrated with XBMC.
set V-sync to always on, sounds like video tearing.