Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu - Audio Mixer is blank, can't start Alsamixer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, I've lurked here long enough, now I need to ask for help.

I have XBMCbuntu installed to a 32G SSD. I have no menu sounds in XBMC (not a big deal) and no sound from anything that I try to play in the Chromium browser. I installed HuluDesktop, and it has the same problem, no sound. Audio from movies seems to work OK.

I thought the Audio Mixer add-on might solve my menu sound problem, but other than the title, the page is blank.

I logged into XBMCbuntu and tried to launch Alsamixer, but I get the error "Cannot open mixer:no such file or directory", yet the file exist at /usr/bin/alsamixer.

My goal is to get HuluDesktop working so I can use Advanced Launcher to start it from within XBMC. I'm operating under the assumption that the menu sound problem and the lack of sound outside XBMC may be related.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Has anyone else had a blank mixer?

Thanks

Tobor

Yes in my case i have the same problem no sound... Sad
and my mixer is also blank
(2012-04-12, 18:09)Tobor Wrote: [ -> ]OK, I've lurked here long enough, now I need to ask for help.

I have XBMCbuntu installed to a 32G SSD. I have no menu sounds in XBMC (not a big deal) and no sound from anything that I try to play in the Chromium browser. I installed HuluDesktop, and it has the same problem, no sound. Audio from movies seems to work OK.

I thought the Audio Mixer add-on might solve my menu sound problem, but other than the title, the page is blank.

I logged into XBMCbuntu and tried to launch Alsamixer, but I get the error "Cannot open mixer:no such file or directory", yet the file exist at /usr/bin/alsamixer.

My goal is to get HuluDesktop working so I can use Advanced Launcher to start it from within XBMC. I'm operating under the assumption that the menu sound problem and the lack of sound outside XBMC may be related.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Has anyone else had a blank mixer?

Thanks

Try to delete the .asoundrc

"ALSA lib conf.c:3467Sadsnd_config_hook_load) /home/palli/.asoundrc may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it"

Tobor

I tried renaming .asoundrc, to asoundrc_old but when I rebooted, a new .asoundrc was created, and I still couldn't open the mixer.

I'm not too concerned about the menu sounds, but I really hate to be thwarted! I have Huludesktop working on my Ubuntu laptop, so I may just install some version of Ubuntu (or Debian) on my HTPC and see how that goes.
Might be a dumb question, but did you run alsamixer using the sudo command?
I'm a noob and can't help any further than that as I have no menu sound either in Ubuntu.
Yeah, I tried sudo alsamixer, sudo /usr/bin/alsamixer, cd /usr/bin and then sudo alsamixer. I am puzzled by the fact that so many other users report normal operation.

Just to rub salt into the wound, the latest flash update broke Hulu desktop, which is how this whole thing started for me. I'll keep trying, and report back if I learn anything.

Tobor
FWIW, I got the mixer to open with "alsamixer --card=1". However, it didn't help with my problem. I post this so maybe it will help someone else, and this won't feel like such a waste!

Tobor