Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can I get JUST the alien subtitles in Star Wars?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I was watching Star Wars with my wife and she noticed that there were no subtitles for the scenes where the aliens talk.. So I tried turning on subtitles and ALL english subs turned on. Is there a way to have the alien subtitles show up but not all the other subtitles? I feel like there has to be a way. I don't even care if the subs are hardcoded into the movie. Now that my wife pointed it out, it's bugging me. Thanks for any help!!
Yep, download the subtitle with just the alien subtitles in it.
Or edit out all the non-alien bits using a subtitle program such as jubler
Hi, whats the source of the subtitle?

IIRC the Star Wars DVD's used forced subtitles for the "alien speak". When I built my mkv's I included the subtitle files twice, the default being forced only, which gave the desired result with the option for full subs...

If you're using .srt files you could probably edit one to do the alien translation, other than that it gets a little tricky...

Definately need more info on the type of source you're playing...

Cheers,

Couch
I believe I use .sub files. Couch Potatoe, you mentioned the dvds use forced subs for the alien speak. How would I get the forced subs when ripping is it a setting in some programs? I use dvdfab for ripping. Thanks both of you for your help so far!
If you made a mkv out of your dvd you can always use MkvMerge to add your subtitle file.
I have a personal build of Eden which fixes forced subtitles if the movie/subtitles were ripped from a Blu-ray disc (see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128935). I can also take a go at trying to fix this for DVD subtitles (looks fairly straightforward), if you'd bear with me.
What a coincidence as I was re ripping my Star Wars blurays last night and thought about this. So this will be an issue with any movie that has forced subs? Shouldn't Makemkv include all subs along with forced?
This should solve the issue?

http://www.pavtube.com/guide/rip-avatar-...itles.html

I don't see any other app actually addressing forced subs.
(2012-04-15, 23:29)raiderxx Wrote: [ -> ]I believe I use .sub files. Couch Potatoe, you mentioned the dvds use forced subs for the alien speak. How would I get the forced subs when ripping is it a setting in some programs? I use dvdfab for ripping. Thanks both of you for your help so far!

Sorry, I'm not familiar with DVDFab, (I use Handbrake) however Googling "dvdfab forced subs" or "dvdfab forced subtitles" returns lots of hits that are probably helpful...

Couch
(2012-04-16, 13:40)andyd Wrote: [ -> ]What a coincidence as I was re ripping my Star Wars blurays last night and thought about this. So this will be an issue with any movie that has forced subs? Shouldn't Makemkv include all subs along with forced?

It does, but the problem is that on some discs regular subtitles and forced subtitles are mixed together in one subtitle stream (or file). So what happens is that when you enable subtitles, all subtitles are enabled, and when you disable, all including the alien talk are disabled. The subtitle stream does include information to indicate which subtitles are forced, and a player is expected to show the forced subtitle even if subs are disabled. Unfortunately, XBMC ignores this information right now.

Since this is such a prevalent problem with open source players, the (IMO hackish) solution, which tools like MakeMKV provide, is to split the subtitle stream/file into two separate streams, one with all subtitles and one with forced subtitles only. Though I think the better solution is to fix the player (which is why I made my own build).
Well, if it's true that the stream is labeled properly and you can address with your own build, then I can't imagine why this would be ignored. Question about your build - what is it based off of? The latest Eden beta?

And have you used Pavtube's app at all? It looks like it can separate out the forced sub so this is avoidable
I'm not quite sure exactly why it hasn't been addressed yet. It is in the roadmap under Future/Pending (see http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap). My guess is that it has to do with the fact that the subtitle decoder is part of the ffmpeg project, and the XBMC developers would prefer that ffmpeg complete their side of the implementation first so that we don't need to use patched ffmpeg sources. Or, perhaps it's because there are just bigger fish to fry. I don't know exactly.

My build is based off the source of the Eden release. It also includes a patch submitted by another user to add bitstreaming of DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD over HDMI, but other than that I'm trying to minimize the changes to keep it as stable as possible.

I haven't used Pavtube's app at all. I prefer to keep my collection in the original format as much as possible. I don't believe I should have to deal with remuxing or performing alterations to the data in any way just to deal with limitations of the player.
Ok I'll give your build a try, then!

Should I uninstall my current install or can I install over it?
I haven't built the installer, so included in the zip file is just the folder structure of what would be installed to "Program Files" (or wherever you install XBMC). As long as you have Eden release installed, you shouldn't have to uninstall. All you need to do is to extract the zip and replace the original exe and dlls, etc. Though, as long as all your plugins, skins, and settings, etc. are in your users directory (C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\XBMC) and not in the program files directory, you can also just extract this to a different folder and run it from there as well.
This seems to be working well for me!

I also realized that I didn't add subtitles to a lot of my bluray rips. Not looking forward to going through my blurays to get the subtitles.
Pages: 1 2