Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Testing help needed for Myth 0.25 support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I'm looking to add support for Myth 0.25 over the coming days into libcmyth within XBMC.

Once that work is done that means that the PVR Addon for MythTV could be used with a 0.25 backend. Hooray!

However, I don't have a 0.25 environment to test with.

Does anyone have a box with Myth 0.25 installed and could look to compile and test a branch of XBMC from my github repo?

UPDATE: All the necessary changes for testing with a Myth 0.25 backend have been committed to the myth-0.25 branch of my github repository

https://github.com/dteirney/xbmc/tree/myth-0.25

After cloning this repo, be sure to change to the myth-0.25 branch by using:

Code:
git checkout myth-0.25

Note that these patches are applied to plain ole XBMC, not one of the branches with PVR support. Once the changes have been tested as being suitably stable the changes will be committed to XBMC master and will then get updated in the downstream PVR related branches.

For information about running plain ole XBMC with MythTV please refer to http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=MythTV

I think I can do some testing on that. I did a fresh install just few days ago on my htpc that now runs Myth 0.25, and I have been waiting to get it working with xbmc again. Can you point me to the right git branch that you would like me to test and I can take a look at it later today?
I'd like to test that too. I have already upgraded to myth 0.25 and I'm running tsp's xbmc-pvr branch currently. Let me know where to find your code.

Thanks
I've only just started doing the protocol updates. I've done updates to support changes for protocol versions 65 and 66 tonight. Myth 0.25 shipped with protocol version 72 so there are a few more protocol updates to code for before it will actually work with Myth 0.25. Protocol 67 was a big change to one of the objects that gets transferred. Most of the other protocol changes seem minor at this stage.

The source code that you can test is at the following location. It is a branch of master as of today.

Does anyone know if mythtv will run in a virtual machine? It would makethe testing easier
(2012-04-16, 17:56)tsp42 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know if mythtv will run in a virtual machine? It would makethe testing easier

mythtv itself should run fine I guess. The problem are the Tuner cards. If you have a USB tuner I guess its possible to make it work. Otherwise you could try to backup an existing database and just import that one in the vbox. Tuner cards will fail but at least querying/scheduling existing recordings/epg should work.

(2012-04-16, 13:37)dteirney Wrote: [ -> ]I've only just started doing the protocol updates. I've done updates to support changes for protocol versions 65 and 66 tonight. Myth 0.25 shipped with protocol version 72 so there are a few more protocol updates to code for before it will actually work with Myth 0.25. Protocol 67 was a big change to one of the objects that gets transferred. Most of the other protocol changes seem minor at this stage.

The source code that you can test is at the following location. It is a branch of master as of today.

Allright, I'll check that out. Thanks. Let me know if there are specific areas you need help with. My system runs on a 7 years old database and should be able to provide testdata in all areas.
Have already completed upgrade to Myth 0.25 and would **love** to integrate with XMBC, so I am in. I'll wait for the protocol 72 updates to be incorporated and give it a go.
I've committed all the changes that I believe will be necessary for Myth 0.25 to now work. The most significant changes were in transmission of 64 bit numbers across the protocol and changes to the proginfo data structure. I've double checked everything and in theory it should all just work.

If seeking doesn't seem to be working then something's probably not quite right with the 64 bit number handling.

If the data showing up for programs or deleting programs doesn't seem to be right then there's probably something wrong with the data transmission code.

@tsp42. There are now new season and episode fields available off proginfo for Myth 0.25. I'm not entirely sure how they get populated though. I know that in the myth:// area I've been parsing the season and episode numbers out of the seriesid / programid if it was filled in. That's a bit hit and miss though.
Just a note to anyone doing some testing. I highly recommend doing a database backup first. Areas to be tested:

General listing of recordings.
Confirm that the recording information appears to be accurate.
File length is reported as expected (or at least not worse than it can sometimes be).
Playback works correctly.
Seeking works correctly.
Deleting recordings still works.
LiveTV works (or at least not worse than it can sometimes be)

Whatever else you have time to have a look at.

If you do find any problems please pastebin a full XBMC debug log and check the mythbackend.log file for any obviously related errors. I might need more advanced logging turned on later but a full debug log might be enough for an initial look at where the problem might be. I guess posting details in this thread about any problems found will be OK.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
I don't have a build environment for XBMC on Windows but if you do provide some level of binary I can test this on my box. I have a MythTV backend using 0.25 (+fixes now) and will be able to validate the things required.

Also if you have a win32 compiled libcmyth.dll I could also test that since that is the hangups I had protocol wise personally with addons and getting myth to work.
Will give this a try this evening under Gentoo.. I have 3 x mythtv frontends which toggle XBMC for the slingbox support. Having xbmc work with Myth 0.25 would be great.
(2012-04-17, 11:42)dteirney Wrote: [ -> ]@tsp42. There are now new season and episode fields available off proginfo for Myth 0.25. I'm not entirely sure how they get populated though. I know that in the myth:// area I've been parsing the season and episode numbers out of the seriesid / programid if it was filled in. That's a bit hit and miss though.
Yes I saw that. I wonder how that corresponds to the program table in the database. The XBMC PVR API doesn't have a season and episode field for the recordings only for the EPG. Will you add
Code:
extern int/*or char*?*/ cmyth_proginfo_episode(cmyth_proginfo_t prog);
extern int/*or char*?*/ cmyth_proginfo_season(cmyth_proginfo_t prog);
to the cmyth api?
Another new thing in 0.25 is that it is the backend and not the MythVideo plugin that fetch the metadata. I hope that means better metadata for the recordings.
First of all! Thanks a lot. It works!

> General listing of recordings.
List works. All recordings present.No obvious errors like charset problems etc.

> Confirm that the recording information appears to be accurate.
The information in the lists is correct. There's no info-dialog to show more. While playing recordings, the name has a "(x)" at the end. Not sure what that is.

> File length is reported as expected (or at least not worse than it can sometimes be).
No issues detected with that.

> Playback works correctly.
Even fast starting/stopping playback in multiple times in a row did not make it hang (which is known to cause hangs every once in a while even with mythfrontend)

> Seeking works correctly.
Tried jumping 30 seconds backwards and forwards and fast forward. Both work well and stable. (could react a bit faster though but I guess not related to the 0.25 port)

> Deleting recordings still works.
Hmm... I miss the delete entry in the context menu. Should that be there?

> LiveTV works (or at least not worse than it can sometimes be)
LiveTV works, including pausing. However, seeking seems not to work.It just doesn't do anything when trying to skip +30 secs after having paused LiveTV for about a minute. Should that work or is it disabled?

> Whatever else you have time to have a look at.
Seems to work quite well. Not sure if the guide should be able to start live TV. That doesn't work. Here's the log: http://pastebin.com/xyCEkL6r

So that's it for the first round. I'll keep on using it and report any issues I see. Just let me know if there's something else you want me to test.

Thanks again.

I recently build a Myth 0.25 backend server and am anxious to try this. I have pulled the source and checked out the myth-0.25 branch and successfully compiled and installed it. But I have no PVR or Live TV options in the settings. I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Any ideas? Thanks.
cspack: The source only includes the plain xbmc code, not the PVR branch.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8