Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Solved][50€ to XBMC] Help me fix my audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. 50€ to xmbc if the issue is fixed.
Ive had this issue for quite some time, and it got worse in Xbmc Eden.
Heres a short clip where i force my issue to come:
http://youtu.be/w0_LL62wfXs

Issue:
When i stream movies/audio , local via smb or from youtube et c, the sound quality suddenly drops when i resume / start.
As you can here in the video i tried to record, the sound becomes indistinguishable (i think is the correct word for it)
Note, the video is recorded in Dharma. Since in Eden this problem is to big, 1-2 resumes and the audio is bad.
I have Asus AT5IONT-I mobo, and it doesnt matter if i use xbmclive, xbmcbuntu (new), ubuntu, openelec...
Right now, when the audio quality becomes bad, i have 2 choices to make it right: reboot or disconnect hdmi / reconnect.

Log output on the secounds the issue apears:
Quote:16:23:02 T:3021776704 M:2812039168 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: PlaybackResumed from xbmc
16:23:02 T:2673867632 M:2812039168 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity - was:10192769.396061, should be:10209690.510700, error:16921.114639
16:23:02 T:3021776704 M:2812010496 DEBUG: LIRC: Update - NEW at 64329250:77 0 KEY_PAUSE_UP devinput (KEY_PAUSE_UP)

Please, if anyone knows anything about this, please do tell me or point me. i had this issue for about 1 year on this system and its killing me!
I can't watch the youtube video, it says the video is private.
Yeah, same here with the YouTube video - private.

It also sounds abit like a driver issue more than an XBMC issue. What would be interesting to know is if you can reproduce the issue using VLC?
To what device is the HDMI cable connected?
Does the sound quality drop occur in other applications?
What distro are you using at the moment?
Does your setup contain a custom ALSA config file (/etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc on Ubuntu distros)?
Post your settings from Settings > System > Audio Output in XBMC.
Post the output of:
Code:
$ aplay -l
and
$ aplay -L
The second one is a bit verbose, so use pastebin.

Also, make that video public.
Hello, thank you for the replies.
The video can now be displayed. http://youtu.be/w0_LL62wfXs
Currently, i have openelec installed, since there is where i have had least issues with this.
My XBMC audio settings is

asound.conf
Quote:pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
}
}
modprobe.d/sound.conf
Code:
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

aplay -l
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC887 Analog [ALC887 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC887 Digital [ALC887 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

aplay -L
Code:
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC887 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
I dont think this has much to do with xbmc settings, and i think i can get these issues in vlc, et c, but i need to test in xbmcbuntu again before i can proceed.
i cannot reproduce this issue in xbmcbuntus ubuntu, only in xbmcbuntu xbmc, follow me? :-)
Tried in VLC and youtube in chrome but the sound works great... but in xbmc i get this issue after 1-2 pauses / resume / timeskip.
Rename /etc/asound.conf to /etc/asound.conf.bak. It appears to be incorrect based on the "aplay -l" output. After doing so, reboot into XBMC and check that your audio is still working with a local file. Then try the stream again.

Is the HDMI from the PC connected directly to the TV or to a receiver?
(2012-04-22, 18:44)Plaguester Wrote: [ -> ]Rename /etc/asound.conf to /etc/asound.conf.bak. It appears to be incorrect based on the "aplay -l" output. After doing so, reboot into XBMC and check that your audio is still working with a local file. Then try the stream again.

Is the HDMI from the PC connected directly to the TV or to a receiver?

thank you, i did what you said and i still have sound in openelec. I think the xbmcbuntu asound conf is fine as it is.
How ever, this issue seems not only to be with streaming videos. i can reproduce this problem with a local .mkv file...
The htpc is connect with hdmi to TV.
Doesnt matter whether i connect to reciver or tv, the issue is the same.
After 10L of tears of blood, after 30h pulling hair and psychotic screams, after several nightmares, after +5 different forum threads i think i might have solved it....

The solution you ask? Well... Seems as my 2€ HDMI cable is better then my 30€ HDMI cable. Yes, you read right... It was the HDMI cable.
I cannot reproduce the problem anymore. Openelec, xbmcbuntu, youtube, mkv, et c. works fine. If i switch back to the old HDMI (The expensive one) I get the issue right away.