Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: networking issue???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey guys got a small issue in setting up my new setup. where i live the only way i am able to use the internet is by using my phone as a wireless hotspot, sprint allows me to use up to ten devices and my issue is how can i set up a network so that my htpc can connect to the internet and my media server? is it possible to use two wireless adapters, one for the net and one for the server? thanks
Maybe I am not understanding the issue fully, but my thoughts are that if you had a router that can NAT your traffic, that should solve your problem. I am not sure of your setup entirely, and which country you are in. Are you subscribing to dial-up or dsl for Internet?
i am in the us, and neither i connect to the internet through my cell phones wifi, its called sprint hotspot, it allows me to use my phone as a modem
I doubt your phone will be able to route network traffic between your HTPC and server. What is your server, and how much storage do you use for media? Maybe you can put a bigger hard drive in your HTPC, or connect a external HDD to it?
i know that lol im talking about using a router to network the computers but still being able to connect to my phone for internet

plus i really need access to my server i have over 10tbs of data
Forget about using the phone as a router (that's what I understand from your description). That's not only not going to work, it's also going to be painfully slow and unreliable. Buy (invest in) a $30 home router and set up a proper network.
i am planning on using a normal router, but what im trying to say is i am i do not have neither cable nor dsl the only way i can access the internet on my computer is through my phone.
(2012-05-31, 09:01)signallancer Wrote: [ -> ]i am planning on using a normal router, but what im trying to say is i am i do not have neither cable nor dsl the only way i can access the internet on my computer is through my phone.

Then unfortunately I do not see how you can connect (upstream) your router to the phone so it's used as the internet feed. Sad
If you want your HTPC and media server to connect to each other (for watching movies, etc) and you want both to have internet access via your hotspot, then you will need to do the following:

Get a switch or router to connect your HTPC and media server via ethernet cables.

Then you will need 2 wireless cards or USB dongles and install those on your HTPC and media server.

With this setup your HTPC will stream media over ethernet and internet traffic will be routed through the wifi dongles.
It'll depend on how your phone can be set up as a modem and if the router can connect to the phone wirelessly and NAT/route all traffic through it. Before you buy a router you should do some google research to see if there's anyone with the same phone/wireless provider that has been able to make this work reliably.