Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Installing Plex Media Server on top of XBMCbuntu (Live)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone,
I've been happily using XBMCbuntu/Live for the past few years on my Revo 3610 connected to my living room TV via HDMI. I've been toying with the idea of ditching XBMC and installing Plex Media Server for the sole purpose of streaming to my brand new Roku which I have in the other room. It suddenly occurred to me that it may be possible to have XBMC and Plex Media Server installed on the same machine. Has anyone done this?? Or is there some sort of plugin for XBMC to stream to a Plex client?
You don't need PMS in order to stream to a Plex client. Just add sources to the client as you would XBMC. What PMS does is allow clients to automagically see it and have most/all of the setup on the server side. You can certainly install PMS on your XBMCbuntu box. It should coexist happily, but it's not really needed.

BTW, XBMC can "stream" to Plex, but that's just via UPnP. XBMC is not a streaming server, it's a media client.
Hi soopafly, did you have any luck doing this? I was thinking of doing the same thing since XBMC's upnp server really only seems to work with other XBMC's.
(2013-01-16, 09:16)blacknanna Wrote: [ -> ]Hi soopafly, did you have any luck doing this? I was thinking of doing the same thing since XBMC's upnp server really only seems to work with other XBMC's.

I've been running XBMC and PMS on the same server for quite some time with no problems... neither interferes with the other and there was nothing special I need to do to install both of them.
(2013-01-16, 21:00)bac522 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-16, 09:16)blacknanna Wrote: [ -> ]Hi soopafly, did you have any luck doing this? I was thinking of doing the same thing since XBMC's upnp server really only seems to work with other XBMC's.

I've been running XBMC and PMS on the same server for quite some time with no problems... neither interferes with the other and there was nothing special I need to do to install both of them.

Thanks bac522!! Can I ask you what hardware you're running? I'm running an Acer AspireRevo AR3610 , which runs XBMC great, but don't know if running Plex will bring it to it's knees Confused

blacknanna, no I haven't tried this yet unfortunately
If you want plex for it's transcoding, then the revo is likely to be underpowered (atom=weak).

Put plex on your powerful server Smile
Thanks bac522, just what I needed to hear. Iv'e got it all running now with no drama's at all. soopafly, I'm running all this on an older core2quad with a few gig of ram. It seems to cope with it all pretty well. Not sure how the atom will go although I was serving all my movies through samba from my Clark Connect server, that has a dual core atom and that managed it with no problems. The only reason I went this way was because I have approx 5tB of movies etc and didn't want to leave all the hard drives running all the time.
I know this thread is a bit old but I am interested in installing plex on my acer 3610 too. Although I have been an xbmc user for as long as I can remember I have recently started to play with plex and have found that the watch sync across devices is a nice feature. I watch some content on mobile devices using plex and when I get home I have to manually fast forward the show/movie in xbmc to get to the same spot. I would really like to install plex within the xbmcbuntu install and map a remote button to change between. On another forum I found install directions for plex from a shell window. I think that is pretty straight forward but is there a good method for switching between applications? Overall I much prefer the feel of xbmc so I would want the ability to switch back and forth without having to reboot the machine. Anyone done this?

Thanks
XBMC has a plex addon if you really want to use it.

XBMC already has watched sync across devices.

Also take a look at mediabrowser3.