Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: H.265 codec standard, the successor of H.264
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Very awesome.
boring Smile
This is exactly why I upgraded the CPU in my 'big' HTPC to a A8-3870K, so that it could decode h.265/HEVC on the CPU.

Now everybody start nagging the devs for h.265/HEVC support!
Meh, I'll wait for H.266
h.265... I wonder how long it took them to decide on that name!
DJ Izumi, how does that A8 handle 1080p 10-bit encodes? I'm thinking about picking up an Arctic m101 with an A8 in it. Am I in the clear or should I go for the core i3? Do you think it will be able to handle h.265 as well?
(2013-05-10, 01:34)KingJoffeJoffer Wrote: [ -> ]DJ Izumi, how does that A8 handle 1080p 10-bit encodes? I'm thinking about picking up an Arctic m101 with an A8 in it. Am I in the clear or should I go for the core i3? Do you think it will be able to handle h.265 as well?

Currently stock XBMC builds do not support multithreading, the A8-3870k has enough power in a single core to do 10bit 1080p 99% of the time. Dropped frames are seen in scenes that are exceptionally noisy, like with a lot fake static on the video or something like that. In a nightly with multithreaded software decoding even the most insane 10bit 1080p encodes play smooth as silk. While useless to most, those nighties also decode LOSSLESS h.264 smoothly as well, but uses around 50% the entire CPU.

I have high hopes that this CPU will do 1080p h.265 on CPU as well. ...4K is likely to be an issue. Tongue
Divx has just release a convert and player for H.265 HEVC, So far the converting takes ages and only there player supports it, (for now), very good compress without loss, but more tests need to be done.
I have been using my A8 3850 APU for close to a year and have not run into any issues. I will see about downloading the new Divx converter and try this out also.

*edit - I have the new DIVX 10 with the HEVC profile and I did use the checkbox to install the HEVC plugin on install. I can not get the converter to work yet. Once I start to encode, it crashes every time. I also can not get the converter to encode to .mp4/.mkv any longer with just Divx HD either. The only file containing it will give me at the end is .divx. It is starting to tick me off a little as it was working fine in version 9.
Trying to use the divx forums is futile from the looks.
wasn't sure which h265 thread to throw this in but ffmpeg now has support in the master branch:

https://launchpad.net/ffmpeg/+announcement/12062
Will this push make it into Gotham? If I remember correctly XBMC incorporated ffmpeg 1.2 recently.
Would be interessting to know what power a CPU must have to decode a top notch 1080p video (at least L4 / High Tier) - rumor say 50% of 2.9 GHz quadcore - for 4k (L5 / High Tier) they are talking about a 90% of a 3.2 GHz hexa-core.
no
(2013-10-27, 21:53)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]no

Don't be shy and say "yes" Angel .. just kidding.
(2013-10-16, 18:33)furii Wrote: [ -> ]wasn't sure which h265 thread to throw this in but ffmpeg now has support in the master branch:

https://launchpad.net/ffmpeg/+announcement/12062

Well, it'll be about another day before the Anime encoding community attempts to entirely switch to this and two days before XBMC users start going 'Why can't XBMC play this!?'.

:/
Pages: 1 2