Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Overseas?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have any members used XBMC outside the US, or know of anyone who has? I'm seriously considering leaving the country and moving to Belize in the near future, and I wonder what kind of experiences they've had using XBMC anywhere else. The internet connections around the major districts are comparable to what the US has, so I'm curious about whether this could be the answer to access to US markets down there.
uhm xbmc got its first us dev about 4 years into its lifetime......
(2013-03-29, 17:44)spiff Wrote: [ -> ]uhm xbmc got its first us dev about 4 years into its lifetime......

I'm gonna have to challenge that statement Laugh

Not because I have evidence suggesting otherwise, but because it is simply inconceivable

To answer the op's question, it depends. XBMC is a platform. You can supply your local media, and the experience will be the same anywhere.

For online streams though, some providers have geo-restrictions that international users have to circumvent through proxies, or vpn and such (not just the US ones, but some European providers only allow connections through Europe as well)
(2013-03-29, 22:04)aptalca Wrote: [ -> ]To answer the op's question, it depends. XBMC is a platform. You can supply your local media, and the experience will be the same anywhere.

For online streams though, some providers have geo-restrictions that international users have to circumvent through proxies, or vpn and such (not just the US ones, but some European providers only allow connections through Europe as well)

Thanks aptalca! That's exactly what I was getting at. I probably should have included that in the first place. The local media is a no-brainer, but I'm wondering about streaming. Some limited US broadcasts are available down there at about $150/mo. so XBMC would me a better alternative.
Things like Netflix, Hulu etc are much better in the US due to licencing agreements.
there a lot of users including myself that use xbmc perfectly fine outside us I am in Australia and for the most part I use my normal adsl2+ internet connection to download artwork or stream trailers for movies I don't do a lot of streaming as I get most of my stuff from usenet however if I did want to stream something from like Netflix or hulu or something I have a VPN account which makes me appear I am in USA

the same would apply if I was to watch something from the UK

so with a good VPN account that will remove any issues you might have as it can make you appear in any country you need

I have never had any restriction issues and I am in Australia one of the most isolated places in the world so I don't think belize will be an issue
(2013-03-30, 10:40)protocol77 Wrote: [ -> ]I have never had any restriction issues and I am in Australia one of the most isolated places in the world so I don't think belize will be an issue

Good to know, thanks! Australia is my favorite "other" country I've visited...
Doesn't the whole concept of "overseas" depend on where you're sitting? In my experience, XBMC works brilliantly for domestic use, but I can't comment on how it works in foreign countries like the US... :-)
(2013-03-31, 11:20)Prof Yaffle Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't the whole concept of "overseas" depend on where you're sitting? In my experience, XBMC works brilliantly for domestic use, but I can't comment on how it works in foreign countries like the US... :-)

Good point...
(2013-03-31, 18:25)Stacman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-31, 11:20)Prof Yaffle Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't the whole concept of "overseas" depend on where you're sitting? In my experience, XBMC works brilliantly for domestic use, but I can't comment on how it works in foreign countries like the US... :-)

Good point...

That's why a lot of jokes are made based on americans thinking they're the only country in the world Tongue

On the other side, I use XBMC perfectly well in Chile, Southamerica. All streaming plugins work well. The only issue is sites like Netflix restricting the movie catalogue depending on where you are. The catalogue for Chile is definitely smaller and more restricted than the one in the US.
Using XBMC in South Africa without any problems...
(2013-03-29, 22:04)aptalca Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-29, 17:44)spiff Wrote: [ -> ]uhm xbmc got its first us dev about 4 years into its lifetime......

I'm gonna have to challenge that statement Laugh

Not because I have evidence suggesting otherwise, but because it is simply inconceivable
I can't believe anyone could be that profoundly ignorant, so I'll assume you were joking.
(2013-06-25, 07:23)McGuywer Wrote: [ -> ]Using XBMC in South Africa without any problems...

Make that two of us - there are PLENTY more.

It is my main source of viewing content.
In the UK and use XBMC with the following Addon's

IPlayers (BBC, ITV Player, 4OD, 5 on Demand)
TV Catchup - (For Live television with the EPG)
Documentary Addon to browse docs

Then the obvious TV Shows & Movies locally
last months stats from the download mirrors:

22% USA
12% UK
10% Canada
5 % China
5 % Germany
4 % Netherlands
3% Spain
2 % Portugal
2 % Brazil
2 % Australia
2 % France
and 222 other locations, each 1 % or less.

So, 22% USA, 78% "overseas"

Edit: I understand the question you wanted to ask was "How is the experience with XBMC for an American traveling abroad when using addons that provide access to American services?" but I thought this was interesting nonetheless.
Pages: 1 2