Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No wake with remote control after suspend - latest XBMCBuntu - custom HTPC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

first of all I want to say, that by writing this thread I have to admit, that I am out of ideas. I have found many different threads, but as I realized later, all of them somehow point to software issues. I am not sure if my issue still has to do only with XBMCBuntu and software.

Long story short:

I can't wake my PC up after sending it to suspend with my cheapo remote control (bought from ebay). By pressing buttons on the remote, i see the red light blinking, no matter what usb port I choose. It gets power on all if my usb ports.
I CAN wake it everytime with a set of wireless keyboard and mouse. The wake on usb from S3 is definitely working fine.
Later I bought a Pinnacle e52 usb dvb dongle, which has its own IR receiver in it and a mini remote. After setting /proc/acpi/wakeup and /sys/bus/usb/... that dongle could wake up the PC too, by press of any of the remote keys. It just works. But it has another disadvantages, thus I am not using it..

So I was curious, if the mce IR dongle has the wake up capability at all. So I took a HP notebook, put XBMCBuntu on it. And guess what, it works there (after setting the apropriate echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb8/power/wakeup). Right after I tried with a OpenElec on same notebook and it worked right after installation, without any need of "enable"..
So proven, this remote with that IR dongle CAN wake from suspend. More than expected, It only wakes by the press the power button on the remote.

So, back to my PC, I booted the same usb stick with OpenElec and suspended. No wake.
I also tried with a usb installed xbmcbuntu on that PC, but no wake too, same as the HDD installed version.

I know how to use all those "echo enabled" commands, /etc/rc.locals, I also know about registered /proc/acpi/wakeup devices. I also tried and played with UDEV rules, that also were enabling all the /sys/bus/usbs.., but none of those methods made what I need, they are setting correctly, but IR not waking.
By going mad I enabled ALL of the ../power/wakeups I only could find Undecided... nothing.
I used the tweak and edited /etc/default/grub with usbcore.autosuspend=-1, with update-grub after it. Had no effect. Btw I found only references to nVidia mobos chipsets, that are affected by the autosuspend command. I have a MSI board and a nVidia discrete graphics. Does it still apply?

I realized, that by pulling out different usb devices while in suspend, the PC wakes.. But it WONT wake by pulling out or inserting the IR dongle - kind of special, hmm..

BIOS is set up correctly. Otherwise other USBs would not wake it up i guess. Just to be sure, I tried several BIOS versions I could find.
Logically thinking, it does not have to do with any "Kernel bugs" as it works on another system with same XBMC/OpenElec.
I checked the long discussed hid_aureal kernel module, it is already pre patched into xbmcbuntu and working fine, all buttons working correctly when in XBMC.

So what I am thingking about is:
- the led on IR dongle blinks, there is some activity, but PC wont wake. On other Notebook, it takes only the "power button" to wake. Is this power button code some kind of different, that it can send the wake up signal? Could it be, that my PC (mobo) dost not understand this special signal?
- I read somewhere, that mce remotes are presented as keyboards to the system that is causing problems, when pressing "special buttons". Can this be set up somewhere?
- my cat /proc/acpi/wakeup shows
Code:
root@xbmc-desktop:~# cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Device    S-state      Status   Sysfs node
SBAZ      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:14.2
P0P9      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:14.4
AC97      S4    *disabled  
MC97      S4    *disabled  
USB1      S4    *enabled   pci:0000:00:13.0
USB2      S4    *enabled   pci:0000:00:13.1
EUSB      S4    *enabled   pci:0000:00:13.2
PCE2      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:02.0
PCE3      S4    *disabled  
PCE4      S4    *disabled  
PCE5      S4    *disabled  
PCE6      S4    *disabled  
PCE7      S4    *disabled  
PWRB      S3    *enabled
is there anything else besides the USB1, 2 and EUSB that needs to be enabled? I don't get the meaning of other shortcuts, maybe someone can explain? I managed to enable all but PCEs, but still nogo.
- some reported, that their PCs could wake, if HDMI is unplugged. It is not my case. But is there any logic behind? Shall I take out my graca and leave the system only with onboard graphics and try then?
- any other HW tweaks that I could try?

XBMCBuntu is latest with 12.10 kernel and 12.1 Frodo XBMC.
PC: MS7173 mobo, nVidia ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP)

What I did not try by now is to suspend and wake from WinXP, which is dual boot on that PC.

Any advise appreciated Smile I am ready to paste system outputs, if needed. Just didn't want to spam it here right in the beginning.
Ok, testing done..
XP booted, suspended, no wakeup, no matter what i try. Just red led blinking.

I took an older notebook (2005) with win7 on it, put the mce ir dongle in, set all things up in device manager and power settings. Suspend > no wake. Hmm..
Tried with OpenElec, boot from usb, suspend > no wake.

Ok, maybe somebody can answer some of my previous questions Smile

I am thinking of the following. As this remote has the special ability, to wake up the system only by "Power button", it must somehow be understood by BIOS, right? Other buttons just let the red led on the IR dongle blink, but send no wake signal. I assume, that the power button is not understood, or incorrectly translated and no wake signal is sent at all. So the dongle or BIOS is waiting for some right signal forever. The only system that responded well was my business HP notebook (2010).

I have seen some Windows XBMC threads, where people were re-mapping keys in the registry to have the power functionality on a different key, and these things. But I am not a real fan of Windoze. Is there any setting in linux/xbmcbuntu, that says, which keys are accepted to wake up? Where resides the logic of button actions? Is it in the pc or the dongle and its microchip? If the mapping is in OS, i won't stop searching...
If it is the dongle, I promise I won't bother again Smile At least I solved another problem with newer BIOS, that was running my fans fast. Now they can't be heard.

Cheers!
Hi, as this problem does not really have to do with XBMC I am continuing the thread on MSI Forums page http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=167990.0
Sorry for opening here, but may still be helpful for somebody. Thanks.
SOLVED!

For anybody who has problems waking their PC with the IRF Media W-01RN, despite having all settings right, just try to hook the little usb IR receiver onto a USB hub instead of directly connecting to a USB port on PC.

I don't know why, but it solved the problem. Now the wake-up signal successfully wakes my comp... Hurray!
Cheers.
Is that a powered hub?
Hi nickr, nope, it is currently hooked up only on a USB cable. There is a DC power plug as well, but i do not feed it with extra power. It's all powered from PC USB port only.
As I mentioned earlier, I don't suspect a power issue. I am rather convinced that the usb receiver is confusing BIOS when connected solo. That HUB seems to "normalize" commands and wake signals..
I just installed a cheap non powered hub, and it solved my wake up issue. Thanks!
Sorry for hijacking the post, but I have had a similar problem for weeks, and cannot find any article to help.

I have my XBMCBUNTU installed in a Dell PC, with a RC6 MCE remote which works, will put the PC to sleep, but cannot wake the PC.

The receiver will not blink either. If I change the receiver USB port to another one (while the computer is sleeping), then the receiver will blink again, but will not wake the PC either.
If I put the PC to sleep again, then that port will stop working and if I change it back to another one, it will work, but not wake the PC.

I tried a USB hub, and some other options out there... but no luck.

Can anyone help please?
karikian same boat as you. I just moved from Windows (where remote was working successful) however once I put the system to sleep in xbmcubuntu the power will not comeback on. I do not see the see the red light shine on the receiver. Besides that the MCE (RC6) remote is working great. irw commands are working

The only problem is I can not wake up PC with remote. BTW I have a P8H77-M PRO motherboard.
Hi karikian and powerplyer,

from what you describe, to me it seems that you should once again check your XBMCBuntu settings. If your system is powering down the one USB port, where your receiver is on, then it either hasn't been told to keep it up or it's the same issue as with my receiver, where my system intentionally turned it off, maybe because it did not understand the reiceivers wakeup capability. That was the reason of putting another usb hub in between.

I don't know how experienced you are with linux, ubuntu, .. but could you just post outputs from

Code:
lsusb
for determinig bus and device number of mce receiver
Code:
cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Code:
for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/wakeup; do echo $i && cat $i; done
praet0ri4n,

thanks for the reply. I am A NEWBIE with Linux, and although I was able to type the commands in and see the devices and ports, I am not sure what to do with the 3rd one you listed. Can you give me a hand? Here are the results:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0471:0815 Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver

for the cat, I imagine the USB are the values we are looking for right? Here are the results:

USB1 s3 *disabled
the same all the way to USB7
and I also have PWRB s4 *enabled

The device is in USB 1-1.1.1

Thank you!
Hi,

ok, the first one shows bus and id. Those numbers are important for the later commands.
As you mentioned, your MCE USB IR is Bus 001 and Device 006.
The
Code:
cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
lists all capable devices, that can wake your system from given state (Sleep, Hibernate, etc.)
By default, they are usually "disabled". On newer systems you can set up specific options in your BIOS like "wake on USB device" or similar and after that, some of the devices in /proc/acpi/wakeup get "enabled" and the BIOS settings get effective. But there are older systems, where there is no such option in BIOS. You can still enable it by issuing the command
Code:
echo XXX > /proc/acpi/wakeup
Note that the "XXX" part has to be changed. So in your case you could do something like
Code:
sudo sh -c "echo USB1 > /proc/acpi/wakeup"
and the same for USB2, USB3, etc. You better start with enabling all of the USB's and find out if wakeup is working.

The last and longest command returns a list of usb devices and their corresponding "wakeup" setting. You just copy paste it into your command line and hit enter. In the output you will see something like
Code:
/sys/bus/usb/devices/3-1/power/wakeup
enabled
/sys/bus/usb/devices/3-2/power/wakeup
disabled
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/power/wakeup
disabled
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2/power/wakeup
disabled
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3/power/wakeup
disabled
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb4/power/wakeup
disabled
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb5/power/wakeup
disabled
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb6/power/wakeup
disabled
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb7/power/wakeup
disabled
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb8/power/wakeup
disabled
Those numbers usb1,2,3,... and 1-2, 3-1,3-2,.... are the ones you need to observe. If for example your MCE is Bus 001 ID 006, then in your output you definitely have to see something like
Code:
AND
Code:
/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-6/power/wakeup
In case they are "disabled" you have to change it to "enabled" before suspending your pc by
Code:
sudo sh -c "echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-6/power/wakeup"
sudo sh -c "echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb6/power/wakeup"
Once you have all the needed usbs "enabled" everywhere, resuming should work.
If it works, you could put all those commands into a script, that gets executed right before suspend and sets all needed "enabled" settings for you.
On this you can google many topics, it is covered very well and I would not like to rewrite it here.
Hope it will help you somehow.
(2014-04-26, 21:54)praet0ri4n Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

ok, the first one shows bus and id. Those numbers are important for the later commands.
As you mentioned, your MCE USB IR is Bus 001 and Device 006.
The
Code:
cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
lists all capable devices, that can wake your system from given state (Sleep, Hibernate, etc.)
By default, they are usually "disabled". On newer systems you can set up specific options in your BIOS like "wake on USB device" or similar and after that, some of the devices in /proc/acpi/wakeup get "enabled" and the BIOS settings get effective. But there are older systems, where there is no such option in BIOS. You can still enable it by issuing the command
Code:
echo XXX > /proc/acpi/wakeup
Note that the "XXX" part has to be changed. So in your case you could do something like
Code:
sudo sh -c "echo USB1 > /proc/acpi/wakeup"
and the same for USB2, USB3, etc. You better start with enabling all of the USB's and find out if wakeup is working.

The last and longest command returns a list of usb devices and their corresponding "wakeup" setting. You just copy paste it into your command line and hit enter. In the output you will see something like
Code:
enabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
Those numbers usb1,2,3,... and 1-2, 3-1,3-2,.... are the ones you need to observe. If for example your MCE is Bus 001 ID 006, then in your output you definitely have to see something like
Code:
AND
Code:
/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-6/power/wakeup
In case they are "disabled" you have to change it to "enabled" before suspending your pc by
Code:
sudo sh -c "echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-6/power/wakeup"
sudo sh -c "echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb6/power/wakeup"
Once you have all the needed usbs "enabled" everywhere, resuming should work.
If it works, you could put all those commands into a script, that gets executed right before suspend and sets all needed "enabled" settings for you.
On this you can google many topics, it is covered very well and I would not like to rewrite it here.
Hope it will help you somehow.

Appreciate all the writting, but I could not follow it. Tried anyway, but it does not work as you wrote...

Code:
enabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled

could never get that... I guess I just can't do this. I will give up. I am either extremely stupid, or linux just does not make sense to the normal guy.
How can i do this in windows?