Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Will xbmc mess up my iTunes library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I'm just getting into xbmc.

I have a MacMini running OSX 10.8.2, this is my main machine and all my media is attached to it via a USB external drive. I currenly keep all my media in an iTunes library and all is fine.

I now have a Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc, I plan on sharing my iTunes media library using NFS and pointing my RPi towards this.

When XBMC on the RPi scans my iTunes library, will it make any changes to the original files? I am concerned my iTunes library may become dis-organised or currupt preventing iTunes from using it properly.

Many thanks
Keith.
XBMC does not make any changes to files
That's good to know, thanks for the quick response.

Keith.
keithellis I have almost the same setup except i have an IMAC with the itunes library contained on it. Can you explain to me how to point my Raspberry Pi towards my music files? Thanks in advance
(2013-06-17, 11:56)Tckwilson Wrote: [ -> ]keithellis I have almost the same setup except i have an IMAC with the itunes library contained on it. Can you explain to me how to point my Raspberry Pi towards my music files? Thanks in advance

Hello,
Yes this is how I did it.
I'm on a Windows machine at the moment so all this is from memory, if you have any questions get back to me and I will confirm once I get home.

Both the Mac and the RPi must be on the same network. On the Mac open up settings and select "Sharing" in the list on the left hand side tick "file sharing", in the right hand pane add a new share and browse to your "iTunes Media" folder, there is an options button I think, click this and in the optins select "enable SMB sharing" Next add a new user with read only sharing rights. If your RPi is still in default settings the user name should be "pi" and the password should be "raspberry".

Your iTurnes folder should then be available for your RPi to view.

Back on the RPi go to Video and add a new library (I added two here, one pointing to the "TV" folder within "iTunes Media" and another one pointing to "Movies" folder within "iTunes Media" search for a SAMBA file share and you should see your iTunes Media library on the Mac.

You can do a similar thing in the Music section, add a new library and saech for a SAMBA share.

One thing to note, the RPi is unable to read any DRM enabled media, hopefully all your music is DRM free since Apple did away with this long ago, but any Movies or TV shows bought from Apple will have DRM enabled and you will not be able to view this content.

Hope this helps.