Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: GBox Midnight MX2 worked for one hour then stopped!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My GBox Midnight MX2 arrived today and I was excited to see it in action. I powered it on and configured it. I soon got frustrated trying to maneuver the Android interface with a remote control, so I turned it off. I went to CompUSA and got a wireless keyboard with built in touchpad and a 32GB Micro SDHC card. When I switched the TVs input to HDMI1 which the box was on but there was no signal but the box's power was on. So I turned it off and then back on. It showed the Matricom screen, then the green android dude, then the word Android popped up and it stuck there. I let it sit for 30 minutes and it wouldn't move past it. I unplugged it and let it sit for a few minutes then tried it again but it continues to get stuck at the Android word screen. I have rebooted it about a dozen times but it won't get past that screen.

Does anyone know what happened and how I can fix it? I literally only got to use it for about 15 minutes total before this crap happened. I am highly disappointed with it so far! Please help!

Segundus
Could be a bad unit. Might try reflashing the firmware from the gbox website.
Segundus you should check on their forums at androidtvbox.us as that definitely seems like you need to re-flash your firmware or you simply have a bad hardware unit (had this nightmare with the m3) and need to return it. They have a good warranty cycle and the return system is pretty quick. I got my MX2 in 2 days ago and I have to say I am loving it so far. I don't understand how to turn on the BT though for some reason its missing overall (options), asked via email and they said it will be in an update. XBMC seems to be working pretty good and plays anything I throw at it, this is not an XBMC issue and you need to go to their website for support.
You need to do the "toothpick reset" procedure described on the G-Box forum for the Midnight series. The audio input hole has a reset button that you access by sticking a sturdy toothpick in the audio plugin hole with the power off. Stick in the toothpick and hold down the hidden reset button while plugging in the power. The hidden reset button has a "click" when you push it indicating you are engaging the button. Hold the button on with the toothpick until the the Android Recovery screen appears. Then reboot the device using the "Reboot" option 1 in the Recover menu by clicking "OK" with the remote. The MX2 should then reboot successfully. Happened to me last night
hello I have the g box mx2 but im buying anew mele box that's allwinner a31 quad core with the sgx 544 graphics 2gb ram I wanted to know best full ver of xbmc to use for full internal hd decoding im buying this like the hardware decoding on the xbmc build of the g box mx2 no external player needed here is a link to box and video of box hope I can use it the way I want to http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/...17092.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...yAKyteBptc
what does that have to do with the topic william? thanks for the toothpick reset method jyams, no issue here but glad to know its the same as the Midnight G-box 1 from Matricom.
Got mine friday and was a little worried after seeing this post but havent had any issues with it mine. The company is very good to help so if you cant get it back running im pretty sure they'll fix it right away for ya. Anybody know of a way to speed up closing xbmc? Sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds just to close xbmc. Other than that loving it.
what version of xbmc have you tried? it is using external player or dvdplayer version?
Its a "special edition" that is made for the MX2. Doesnt use external player or dvdplayer since it's built for the amlogic chip. All add-ons appear to be working perfectly so far. Wifi on this thing is amazing compared to the old midnight. Ethernet too, streams very good so no complaints there. xbmc closes down fast most of the time, just sometimes takes a little longer. Somewhere in the forums they were talking about it caching data before exit. I guess I can live with it.
FYI, it's not actually a "special edition". It's just the AMLogic/AMLplayer build.
Ive tried every amlogic based build I could get my hands on so far and the only one that works perfectly in sync is the version that comes with it. "special edition" or not its the only one that seems to work.
Not too sure what its deemed, don't care for that - I love XBMC overall and this is it not amatter of what its deemed. Not some crap external player imitation with countless limitations (although thank you XAF for my rk3066 build!!). I have been using countless devices on all types of platforms, android being the most annoying trying to find that perfect replacement (cheap but very extensive.....gotta love XBMC android for this). The MX2 truly is making a mark in this genre with a nice out of the box experience where I didn't have to turn into tinker tailer soldier spy to get it to work.

On the other hand, I am noticing some heat towards GPL - this is never a good thing as the grounds of XBMC was made upon the collaboration of the community. I am happy as a personal customer but as a dedicated avid user I am upset that I spent my money here knowing the intentions behind the company. I requested countless times and when I finally got a link, it was nothing there dead link. I responded to the actions from them and still no answer so this all makes me wonder. They could be the same as we all know like Geniatech\Tronsmart\MyGica that now gets no love from us and deserves a ban really, along with Matricom. While I purchased without knowing the details until reading the sites....I felt a little ashamed to mention but more happy XBMC has a donate button so I can at least contribute the best way I can. Just remember this people, give credit and support to where its do and that is XBMC!!
I've been watching closely and honestly cant figure out exactly where the GPL heat started which is what got me digging into this in the first place. I see in the g-box forums where davilla asked for the source and someone representing g-box asked for his information so they could supply the source code. After that it's been plastered all over the net about g-box violating gpl. That's when I went ahead and emailed them asking for the source and it was promptly given. You mentioned a link that's not working. Is this the same like they gave you?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/141620034/XBMC...load-Files

The links is working for me. I had a friend of mine from across the country email and ask for the source and he had this within minutes and it looks good on my side. I've been trying to catch these guys slipping up but they're providing their source code. I really don't understand what the problem is after everything I've read so far and that's why I had to finally say something about it and defend these guys. I simply cant find any wrong-doing and I can assure you that ive been trying, if only to convince myself that they're in the wrong somehow before blasting out about it. Everybody can see that I've been on this forum for a while now hardly ever talk out about anything. I'm not here to cause trouble. I just want to see a fair playing field out there.

By the way @mockingbirdblue - sorry to get off topic. I agree that the Mx2 is a great device. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with their product in fact it's my favorite box right for the time being. And I love what the foundation has done with XBMC and the work everybody has put into it that can even let a device like this work. XBMC definitely deserves this credit. Hats off to an excellent media center and hats off to g-box for making a sturdy android device to support it.
Does it include complete linux kernel and uboot source? what's that? it doesn't?
That wasn't the link I was provided with at all, my only request was to see if they were or were not being open as many claimed. I didn't request the kernel and uboot but seeing this I am sure they won't have a problem with it. They didn't have a problem with delivering everything on the first unit (Gbox Midnight 1) - and they went far beyond the kernel and uboot sources providing the entire android source. I will download it and see whats going on, but it looks like they are trying to go in the right direction. I emailed the one from the forums and was at least given a response, you should ask them Ned. Will update the post on these files after downloading as soon as I get home from work - did you check pcsirk?
Pages: 1 2 3