Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: RetroPlayer branch of Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
If you came here for support, do this one thing.
POST A DEBUG LOG

RetroPlayer is a new player core for Kodi Entertainment Center. It is similar to the video player and audio visualizer, but it plays games instead of movies and music.

Design and Components

• RetroPlayer: Code name of a new Kodi component that can play emulators, standalone games, and NVidia GameStream.
  • Controller support: Remote-friendly way to reconfigure controllers.

Future Components

• Game provider add-ons: Stream tens of thousands of games directly from the Internet Archive Software Collection
  • Media readers: Cartridge adapters, like the Retrode, that give Kodi access to game
  • Game save manager: Manage savestates and SRAM saves. This enables "gameplay persistence" - the game restarts right where you left off.
  • Game library: What else other than the full Kodi experience? Box art, game trailers, gameplay videos, system intros, save states, and more.
  • Network play: I fully completed a netplay add-on. It was slow and buggy and basically needs to be rewritten from scratch.
  • Shaders: Let's start brainstorming what we want and how this could work. A CRT shader would be cool.

Update (2017-04-07)

After over four years of development, RetroPlayer was merged into Kodi v18 "Leia".

It's recommended that you change Kodi to identify some extensions as games using http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml :

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videoextensions>
        <remove>.bin|.img|.iso|.zip</remove>
    </videoextensions>
    <musicextensions>
        <remove>.cue|.zip</remove>
    </musicextensions>
    <pictureextensions>
        <remove>.zip</remove>
    </pictureextensions>
</advancedsettings>
I updated the scope of the project. What do you guys think?
I might suggest also listing shaders for future components. Making shaders mostly platform agnostic is probably quite a ways off, but I think the ability to emulate the look of a CRT screen might ultimately be a big positive for a lot of people.
Added shaders to the list
Very nice, garbear. Wish I could be of some use Smile
This kind of shader would be awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLNfzZ-KMdI
Hey garbear, i love reading your posts and I follow your work with great anticipation - I'm really looking forward to seeing this merged. I've asked this question about a year ago so I hope you don't mind me asking again - what do you think the chances are of this being included in the next release of kodi? Smile
I don't see it in the next release, simply because we aimed for much shorter release cycles - let's see how this works out. Also next release must not introduce skin changes IIRC
(2015-01-21, 11:19)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see it in the next release, simply because we aimed for much shorter release cycles - let's see how this works out. Also next release must not introduce skin changes IIRC

How much shorter are the release cycles anyway?...every 6-8 months? When can we expect the next release to be?
your efforts are the single most exciting development for me
hopefully we see the fruits of your labor soon, heck, i'd say release a kodi version just with this amazing feature
support for high resolution texture packs in addition to shaders would be awesome as well.
@Lorax texture packs for what? roms?
Yes, like what's shown in this article for Zelda.

http://lifehacker.com/bring-your-retro-g...1516605379
(2015-01-30, 16:17)Lorax Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, like what's shown in this article for Zelda.

http://lifehacker.com/bring-your-retro-g...1516605379

Well that's pretty cool. Definitely seems like a v3 thing though.
Pls let #garbear concentrate on finish this thing.
Can't wait to give it a try on Kodi or 14+1. We do not want to wait until 14+2 Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14