Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Anyone have FreeNFS working?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've spent a few evenings trying to figure out FreeNFS... their Sourceforge site has less-than-skeleton documentation, and I've seen no actual how-to's, just references to "you can use FreeNFS." I tried without success, and don't know where to start on debugging... a success story would be encouragement to keep trying. I'd really like to avoid paying 19EUR for yet another software package (haneWIN), especially for software that seems anything but polished, and when I'm not positive I'll get substantially better performance vs. SMB.

Has anyone actually gotten FreeNFS working with XBMC remote clients? I have a Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc 12.2, currently running shared metadata (MySQL) and SMB shares. Hardline 100Mbps Cat5 connection, but I'm still seeing buffering on 1080p streams, so I'm fearful I'll hit a wall when I get LiveTV setup, looking for any real performance gains I can get.

Thanks!
I haven't had much luck myself... although this thread looked promising:
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=53066

I tried the XBMC Gui or by SSH from the terminal... from the terminal an "mount -v" to the share always reports some "access denied" error messages. I don't know if this is some sort of user/password issues (none were asked) or some restrictions on the windows host (firewall, admin setup ).
What seemed to help /a bit/ was nfsvers=3 in the mount option... altough I remained unsuccessfull in mounting a FreeNFS export from XBMCubuntu via SSH. On Windows I've startet the FreeNFS.exe with admin rights... but nothing changes. I've tried different Codepages and explicitly naming allowed hosts by IP.

I've tried a lot of mount options but it always comes down to this:
Code:
sudo mount -v -t nfs -o 'nfsvers=3,vers=3,port=2048,resvport,tcp'  192.168.2.175:/ ./nfs
mount.nfs: timeout set for Sat Jun 15 09:00:24 2013
mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'nfsvers=3,vers=3,port=2048,resvport,tcp,addr=192.168.2.175'
mount.nfs: prog 100005, trying vers=3, prot=6
mount.nfs: trying 192.168.2.175 prog 100005 vers 3 prot TCP port 635
mount.nfs: mount(2): Permission denied
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.2.175:/
or
Code:
sudo mount -v -t nfs -o 'nfsvers=3,vers=3,port=2048,resvport'  192.168.2.175:/ ./nfs
mount.nfs: timeout set for Sat Jun 15 08:52:39 2013
mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'nfsvers=3,vers=3,port=2048,resvport,addr=192.168.2.175'
mount.nfs: prog 100003, trying vers=3, prot=6
mount.nfs: portmap query retrying: RPC: Program not registered
mount.nfs: prog 100003, trying vers=3, prot=17
mount.nfs: portmap query failed: RPC: Program not registered
mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not supported
You probably moved on already, but I managed to mount a FreeNFS share on my Ubuntu box with the following command:
Code:
sudo mount -v -t nfs -o nfsvers=3,sec=none 192.168.0.11:/ ./nfs/

I also experimenting with the proto=tcp option, it looks like it's better than udp...
Hanewin may not be 'polished' from a GUI perspective but it's rock solid from a NFS serving perspective. The license lets you try it for ?at least a year if IIRC. I have used it for ?maybe 7 years now.

I have used it with Pi, Mac, Windows and OE clients, with a 25TB+ library of media including everything from 40GB blurays to music files with all sorts of weird characters in their names and it never skips a beat.
I was having this problem also in Win Server 2008 R2, eventually after reading about it I decided to try NFS Services for Windows feature and I managed to connect without any problem