Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Apple Remote Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Using a Mac Mini (late 2012) with latest O/S and Frodo 12.2.

Up until a couple of days ago, when playing a video the Apple Remote Up/Down controlled the volume. Then XBMC crashed and I ended up cleaning it out and re-installing.

Now the Up/Down on the remote does a 10 minute Jump forwards or backwards.

I installed Candelair as recommended in another post but to no avail.

Cant find a solution in past posts, but I am thinking I am doing something wrong. Can anyone give me a solution??

TIA Steve
Still on frodo 12.2? (before and after the crash?)
Resolved - I completed a full reinstall of OS/X and then Frodo 12.2 and now things are back to how they should be. No idea what the cause was, but I am happy to have it running how it used to.
I have the same problem but intermittently after waking from sleep it will revert back to controlling the 'operating system', i.e. up and down changes volume rather than navigating XBMC menu.....

Any ideas?
Same problem here mates,any solutionHuhPlease help.
thanks in advance
Same problem here. I usually put my mini to sleep every night and wake it up an hour before I start to watch things so SickBeard can catch up. This way, once every week or two weeks the remote would fail and start controlling the OS. (Can be seen when pressing the down arrow, volume thingy pops up).

After the most recent OSX update, this is happening way more: about one in two times when I pull the mini out of sleep. If I exit XBMC then, sometimes the play button restarts it and everything is fine, other times it won't.

I'm guessing there's something to do with the XBMC helper app which listens for the remote, but I'm no developer so I don't know for sure.
Same problem here. I had OS X Lion 10.7.5 and XBMC 12.2 Frodo. Yesterday i installed OS X Maverick and XBMC Gotham and have the same problem. Only its a little bit worst now. Now the apple remote is not working at all. Sad Any ideas anyone?
Seems the App Nap feature in Mavericks is causing issues for various 3rd party apps that try to use the Apple Remote. A temp work around would be to disable App Nap, but you'll probably want to leave it on for laptops that are running on battery power.
Has there been any resolution to this? I still have this exact issue on my mac mini with mavericks.
Same issue here. Worked flawlessly on my Mac Mini 2013 without Mavericks and with no additional drivers for apple remote. Using HDMI audio out in my case . At least the erroneous sys vol change is ignored. Will try disabling app nap for xbmc (use get info) ..

Update:

1) AppNap makes no difference for me

2) I can replicate the problem - Immediately after my mac boots, my Apple Remote doesn't work at all in XBMC (except to send vol up/down to system) however this is fixed by quitting and re-launching XBMC. Same in problem is seen in 12.3 test release and latest nightly

Debug log from 12.3 test release for Mavericks: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=93584

The log shows the period from XBMC starting, waiting a few seconds, trying the remote (which did not work except sys vol), then turning off debug and sending the log. I think it is between line 353 and 354 when I am hitting the remote - nothing shows in the debug log!

3) There is another minor problem - subsequently, after some time/trigger Apple Remote presses in XBMC continue to work and also lead to system vol up/down - this is annoying but not that bad in my case due to HDMI fixed system vol (at max)
Here is the solution/work-around. which works for me.

I used a boot / user login applescript to start XBMC after a 2 second delay.

Code:
delay 2
tell application "XBMC"
    activate
    reopen
end tell
tell application "System Events" to set frontmost of process "XBMC" to true

Maybe there is some sort of race condition - perhaps rcd starts slower in Mavericks or the load of XBMC is earlier in the process. I use a 1TB fusion drive which is very fast (however the issue was not seen on Mountain Lion).

Selecting "Universal" as the remote as per this post did not work for me.

The delay starting XBMC also prevents an error I was seeing each time (once only) after XBMC starts "Could not download information. Unable to connect to remote ..."
Potential solution/Work-around/fix to apple remote XBMC issue

Apple Remote issues I have:

1) Apple Remote fails completely if XBMC starts at user login at boot time
2) Intermittent XBMC vol up/down affects system vol up/down

I have found that the following fixes both my Apple Remote issues ..

1) Disable "Allow start of XBMC using the remote" in Settings/Input Devices
2) Delete /Users/<your_user_name>/Library/LaunchAgents/org.xbmc.helper.plist
3) Reboot

I have been able to replicate the problem by enabling "Allow start of XBMC using the remote" and rebooting once or twice (Important: problem does not recur until reboot). Likewise I have repeated the fix 10 or 20 times. [The fix has worked every time however occassionally it is a little harder to replicate the problem - takes a few reboots or need to make XBMC earliest startup item]

Spent about 5 hours on this today!

I tested on both Mavericks and Mountain Lion with exactly the same results:

Mountain Lion:

12.3 test build (xbmc-20131204-5a51fa8-Frodo-x86_64.dmg)
Latest nightly (xbmc-20131220-fa344b7-master-x86_64.dmg)
Also tried Candleair - made no difference - did not help

Mavericks - Latest nightly (xbmc-20131220-fa344b7-master-x86_64.dmg)

Also tried
iTunesplaybuttonpatch
Killing ituneshelper, Renaming ituneshelper and rebooting
Ensuring itunes did not start

Hardware is MacMini 2013 (Mavericks with all patches as well as Mountain Lion) with Silver Apple Remote.

The debug log is here - it was collected on (Mavericks with latest nightly when problem present).

Steps to I used create debug log:

1) Enable "Allow start of XBMC using the remote"
2) Enable debug (disable update library on startup)
3) Reboot
4) Wait for Mac to boot and XBMC to start
5) Press left arrow
6) Press the four arrows on remote one after the other (Nothing happens - except down arrow sensd sys vol down!)
7) Press right arrow
8) Disable debug (using keyboard)

I am just an XBMC noob so please have patience with me - suspect the apple remote commands (that do no nothing) occurred after line 369 in the debug log. There is nothing there! You can see the left and right arrow then about 8 seconds of nothing while I did he apple remote key presses, then I used the keyboard again to disable debug and send the log ..

Appreciate anyone who has either problem trying this and reporting back.
UPDATE:

It was fine for a while (I use Gotham nightlies and update every few days) and I posted as such that it was "fixed" however the problem is back with a vengeance.

Basically if XBMC is launched at boot time the Apple Remote does not work at all! I have had to go back to using the Applescript to delay 2 secs then launch it.

See above; I have tried everything from the FAQ including Candleair.

Does anyone have any ideas or an approach to diagnose ?
I'm not having these issues, thankfully. Since my 2010 mini lacks the hardware dependencies for some new ML/MVX features, I haven't felt the need to upgrade to Mavericks.

However...
I had very similar issues with Plex volume control and a persistent dock before I came back to XBMC. (Plex's solution to the dock issue was to override the system setting and auto-hide it).
I don't remember exactly what the golden combination was, but it involved Remote Buddy (for the system stealing volume control, I think). The weird thing that came up along the way was that turning off menu clicks alleviated volume control issues when resuming from sleep. FWIW.

The other thought I had, for those of you delaying the start of XBMC, was checking to see if enabling/disabling XBMC "fast start" option has any effect on your situation.

Good luck!
(2014-03-23, 03:04)Ainuke Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not having these issues, thankfully. Since my 2010 mini lacks the hardware dependencies for some new ML/MVX features, I haven't felt the need to upgrade to Mavericks.

However...
I had very similar issues with Plex volume control and a persistent dock before I came back to XBMC. (Plex's solution to the dock issue was to override the system setting and auto-hide it).
I don't remember exactly what the golden combination was, but it involved Remote Buddy (for the system stealing volume control, I think). The weird thing that came up along the way was that turning off menu clicks alleviated volume control issues when resuming from sleep. FWIW.

The other thought I had, for those of you delaying the start of XBMC, was checking to see if enabling/disabling XBMC "fast start" option has any effect on your situation.

Good luck!

Will try "no clicks" - nothing is too far fetched at this point.

Where is "XBMC fast start" in settings ?
Pages: 1 2