Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 8 core board for XBMC? ODROID-XU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know this would be overkill for just XBMC, but would love to see it in action.

http://hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/produ...7510300620
As Samsung released it with a broken CCI-400, you might want to avoid anything based on the Exynos 5410 (as used by the ODROID-XU) unless you're happy running the SoC only in big.LITTLE "Cluster Migration" mode, which would negate the benefit of half of your available cores.
I am no expert and I did read the Anandtech article re the broken CCI-400 issue. The broken CCi-400 issue doesn't seem to affect performance of this board if you believe the benchmark numbers posted by hardkernel. Still a very powerful little machine.

http://com.odroid.com/sigong/blog/blog_list.php?bid=152
(2013-08-06, 05:41)fleeball Wrote: [ -> ]I am no expert and I did read the Anandtech article re the broken CCI-400 issue. The broken CCi-400 issue doesn't seem to affect performance of this board if you believe the benchmark numbers posted by hardkernel.

The benchmark won't be affected if the benchmark is only testing 4 virtual CPUs in Cluster Migration mode. No one can accurately say how much performance is lost by not being able to run the cores in the other big.LITTLE modes. So while I'm not saying I don't believe the benchmark, I will say it's not a particularly relevant test when discussing the impact of the defective CCI-400.

With a non-functional cache coherency interconnect, you'll never be able to run the 5410 in the more efficient CPU Migration mode, let alone the ultimate performance mode with all 8 cores online at once (big.LITTLE MP). With a broken CCI-400, the 5410 Octa-core will only ever be a very power inefficient vritual quad-core CPU.

In fact, since the ODROID-XU is a mains powered board, they may as well disable the Cortex-A7 cluster entirely and forget about any form of big.LITTLE cluster migration at all - it would make life a lot simpler, and avoid any migration performance penalty, by having only the Cortex-A15 cluster online as it's this cluster that will be used most of the time anyway.

(2013-08-06, 05:41)fleeball Wrote: [ -> ]Still a very powerful little machine.

Indeed it is, but nowhere near as powerful as it could (and should) have been. Hopefully the 5420 will correct that.
Sorry to be so dense, but after reading thread, I'm still a bit perplexed.

Is HW acceleration available in XBMC for this specific board (Odroid-XU)? And if so, for which formats?

After googling for some time, I've not been able to find anything definitive that talks about XBMC + PowerVR SGX544MP3 (or XBMC + PowerVR anything for that matter).