Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Exit XBMC button/shortcut
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
is there a button/key shortcut to immediately exit XBMC always?
With 'always' I mean that with the current CTRL+END keyboard shortcut XBMC only immediately exits when you are in the home screen. This shortcut does not work when in eg. movies, settings etc. etc.
Press "s" and then Enter on keyboard. The first keystroke brings up the shutdown menu; the second selects the default "Exit" option.
Shouldn't ALT+F4 be a more reasonable exit shortcut for Windows? It's been the exit shortcut since Windows 3.11 practically.
XBMC doesn't just run on Windows.
ALT+F4 works on windows as well.
Here is another option;

You can setup whatever key you want to do the function. Copy the keyboard.xml file from the default location to the user location:

Assuming windows 7 for example:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\keymaps
copy it to:
  • %appdata%\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\keymaps
Then edit the file. I thought I didn't need two screenshot keys. Print-screen being the standard screenshot for everything, that was plenty. Control+S for shutdown XBMC seemed just fine... Or could do X or whatever you want... As long as it doesn't conflict with something else. Carefully go through the file. Taking over something else is the safest way as in this case...

So here, with the latest Frodo build, line 68 of the file is this line:

<s mod="ctrl">Screenshot</s>

change it to this line:

<s mod="ctrl">XBMC.Quit()</s>

Then Control+S will instantly shutdown XBMC on your command any time. I also setup the shutdown button to do the same thing as the 'shutdown' function didn't make any use to me in my particular setup so it's a one-click exit. Simple to do also.

To do that, with the default skin; would be:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\720p
the home.xml file. The onclick line 1067. Change it to the XBMC.Quit() above. However, this one (not the others) will get over-written with updates so keep it handy.

I would put it here but that's a lot of lines of code. Dunno if they have some sort of limit to all that. I could upload it to my private servers zipped if you're nervous of doing the updates in the files yourself. No issue. Just be sure to keep backups of the originals ALWAYS!!! You make a mistake, Get out, kill it, fix it.

Good luck! Enjoy! Hope I was of some help or interest.

Developers seemed to make it easy to make the program do much of exactly what you're after. Just takes a bit of know-how.

Edit; fixed typo... Fat fingers...
@IamSGC awesome post man, thanks!