Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: how to exit full screen music view with a remote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
when listening to music some times I want to go back to the menus (to check the weather or add more music to the listening queue or because ...). But I can't figure out how to get out of the full screen view without hitting stop and stopping the music.

I've seen some suggestions that pertain to a keyboard but I'm using a remote.

Thanks.
The Back Button on your Remote (or Backspace on a Keyboard) are your best friends. 8)
(2013-09-19, 05:15)Powerhouse Wrote: [ -> ]The Back Button on your Remote (or Backspace on a Keyboard) are your best friends. 8)

My back button truly loves me but it doesn't clear the full screen music view. Perhaps it's cheating on me?

any other suggestions?
so I know there's a keyboard.xml & a remote.xml that controls which buttons do what and I currently have two separate installs of xbmc (one under ubuntu & one with OE). The "e" key clears the full screen view on my ubuntu install but not under OE. However, I can't find keyboard.xml nor remote.xml in the userdata folder of either configs. Has it been moved in Frodo?

Thanks again.
More on this - I double checked how my harmony remote is programmed and confirmed that the "exit" key is sending a "back" signal.

Any ideas on what else I can check? This limitation makes music almost unusable.

Alternatively would it be possible to add an "exit" button somewhere within this screen so I could get out of full screen with my remote? (I'm thinking like the button on the widget that enters full screen.)

Thanks.
I've noticed the same issue on my Openelec machine (unable to exit full screen). I don't have this issue on my Win 8 xbmc, running custom regiis.
(2013-09-22, 16:58)rcrh Wrote: [ -> ]More on this - I double checked how my harmony remote is programmed and confirmed that the "exit" key is sending a "back" signal.

Any ideas on what else I can check? This limitation makes music almost unusable.

Alternatively would it be possible to add an "exit" button somewhere within this screen so I could get out of full screen with my remote? (I'm thinking like the button on the widget that enters full screen.)

Thanks.

You need to map your exit button to 'full screen'

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keymap

(2013-09-22, 16:58)rcrh Wrote: [ -> ]More on this - I double checked how my harmony remote is programmed and confirmed that the "exit" key is sending a "back" signal.

Thanks.

You need to map your exit button to 'full screen'

(2013-09-23, 06:54)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]You need to map your exit button to 'full screen'

Is this wiki still accurate with Frodo 12.2? I've done a search of my entire hard drive (both my openelec install & my xbmcBuntu install) and I can't find a file called keyboard.xml. Both installs have a folder under .xbmc called KEYMAPS but the folder is empty.

(I also checked my OSX install and I can't find keyboard.xml there either).
You need to create your own userdata key map in the folder you mentioned above. You can copy one from the xbmc system directory and modify that or (as I prefer) make a blank keymap.XML and only have your changes I the key map file - its easier to keep track of changes in xbmc that way. From memory the system key maps are in /usr/local/share/xbmc/system - in Ubuntu you can just edit the system one (I guess in OE too with some screwing around) but it will be overwritten by updates - so best not too unless youre a masochist.
(2013-09-24, 04:35)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]You need to create your own userdata key map ...

Then I guess all three of my installs are working without the "default" mapping. Although that does beg the question as to why the Ubuntu & OE versions are behaving differently.

I'll create a keymap.xml for OE and only modify the exit key on my remote.

Thanks.
I doubt your installs would work with out a default system keymap file, they must be using one. You must be searching for files the wrong way. From a ubuntu install:

Code:
#locate keyboard.xml
/home/tw/.local/share/Steam/tenfoot/resource/layout/keyboard.xml
/home/tw/.mythtv/themes/MythMediaStream/keyboard/keyboard.xml
/home/tw/.mythtv/themes/MythMediaStream/keyboard/keyboard.xml.XBMC
/usr/share/liblangtag/common/bcp47/transform_keyboard.xml
/usr/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter-wide/keyboard/keyboard.xml
/usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/keyboard/keyboard.xml
/usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml
/usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/nyxboard/keyboard.xml

How do oe and xbmcbuntu behave diffrently?
(2013-09-24, 14:42)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt your installs would work...

...How do oe and xbmcbuntu behave diffrently?

Under ubuntu the 'exit' key on my remote takes me out of full screen view but under OE it doesn't. However the 'exit' key seems to work properly in all other parts of OE.

I did my searches a number of ways but all were under OE (which doesn't seem to have the "locate" command.
1) I navigated to .xbmc/userdata/keymaps and ran ls -a -l
2) I used an FTP client and searched for keyboard.xml from the root of the file system.
3) i used the SMB mount and FINDER on my mac.

I'm going to reboot my revo and switch back to ubuntu so I can use the LOCATE command.
update 1:
under ubuntu I can find a number of keyboard.xml files (just not where the wiki says they should be.
update 2:
- rebooted back to OE and found the same files.
- compare keyboard.xml from ubuntu & OE and found...
WAY too much stuff to try to find the differences!
- tried to FTP the ubuntu file into the OE install and FTP didn't work.
- tried ssh into OE and /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps is marked as read only even though i'm logged in as ROOT.
- back to FTP and copied the ubuntu keyboard.xml to userdata/keymaps
- rebooted OE and NOTHING CHANGED! I still can't get out of the full screen music view without stopping the music. GRRRRRR.
update 3:
- went back to ubuntu to make sure I wasn't on the crack pipe and confirmed that I can leave the full screen music with the remote.
- leaving full screen works when I hit the "E" key, not 'exit'.
- then checked my harmony programming and found
- "exit" sends "backspace"
- "OK" sends "OK"
- '"e" sends "enter"
- but I still don't know why the keyboard.xml didn't work.
What about Esc? Can't you program a button to send esc?
(2013-09-24, 23:09)host505 Wrote: [ -> ]What about Esc? Can't you program a button to send esc?

Nope. It's not one of the signals on the Harmony. But I could pull out my original MCE remote and see if it works differently.
(2013-09-24, 23:12)rcrh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-24, 23:09)host505 Wrote: [ -> ]What about Esc? Can't you program a button to send esc?

Nope. It's not one of the signals on the Harmony. But I could pull out my original MCE remote and see if it works differently.

Just pulled out the MCE remote and hit every key while in the full screen view and nothing worked. It should be nice if there was a "home" icon on the menu (like there is on the HYBRID skin). That would remove this entire keyboard mapping issue.
Pages: 1 2