Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You are welcome :-)
(2014-05-07, 12:36)Spekkie Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone has any bright ideas?

Sounnds like some leftovers from xbmc xvba installation.
My tipp would be (as i did move from xvba 12.04 to saucy oss) carfully read the deprecated xvba howto and undo everything done there and not donne in this howto. Purge everypackage the xvbahowto wants to install but the oss howto does not want.

There were some differentstartup scripts scattered around thatthread, if I rember correct. Some with .xinit or .profile in your home. Souds like one of those old startup scripts is causing the errors.
If you ar not willing to do a fresh install make sure to do a full backup of your home and system partitions. Then get the sledghammer out Smile
(2014-05-07, 13:21)Jan0sh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-07, 12:36)Spekkie Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone has any bright ideas?

Sounnds like some leftovers from xbmc xvba installation.
My tipp would be (as i did move from xvba 12.04 to saucy oss) carfully read the deprecated xvba howto and undo everything done there and not donne in this howto. Purge everypackage the xvbahowto wants to install but the oss howto does not want.

There were some differentstartup scripts scattered around thatthread, if I rember correct. Some with .xinit or .profile in your home. Souds like one of those old startup scripts is causing the errors.
If you ar not willing to do a fresh install make sure to do a full backup of your home and system partitions. Then get the sledghammer out Smile

Thanks for the tip, yet it was indeed the xserver backing store fritsch mentioned that was causing the problem, and he was right as well about the lightdm.conf which is starting xbmc for me. So there's no xvba stuff causing any problems, at least not that I'm aware of since I don't have any problems anymore...

Though the transition from ubuntu 12.10 xvba to 13.10 OSS wasn't easy, I managed to get it all working properly back in the day.
The fixes in my 3.14.2 image are now in upstream, since today: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mai...y/current/
(2013-10-03, 10:52)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]What you get
- 110% speed as with the fglrx implementation

Curious, what does the "110%" speed refer to?
Nice, you are the first that asks.

It's concerning h264 decoding performance. On XVBA with an E350 1080p50 was not doable. With VDPAU it works.

Though I see some slowness with the trusty 10.1 packages (not! decoderwise). Let's see if upcoming 10.1.2 or 10.2-rc1 will improve that again. That's only realizable when doing temporal deinterlacing and when doing lanczos3 upscaling.
@ Fritsch - thanks a million for your efforts to have AMD acceleration fully supported in XBMC over the last several years. I've been building and using your code on an E350 APU for a very long time now, from VAAPI wrappers to XVBA and now to VDPAU. It's been a lot of fun.

Question for All - RE high-end audio & Radeon OSS: in the XVBA days, high def audio over HDMI (on E350) had a limitation; as I recall I could do up to 192/24 but only on two channels. To do multichannel (e.g. 5.1 96/24) the only way as SPIDF, so I had to revert to it because I have many HD recordings in 96/24 multichannel FLAC. I was wondering if with Radeon OSS that limitation has been lifted, or still remains. (In my setup I removed pulseaudio to ensure bit-perfect audio transfer in all cases)
HD-audio is working with radeon, but only on plain alsa.
I have a small suggestion for the guide. It's a line that's in xbmcbuntu advancedsettings.xml that is not in your advancedsettings. My videos (served by another computer) suddenly stopped playing at a random moment. After doing some research it appeared very small samba timeouts. Video caching did not solve this, but setting the samba timeout did. I think a lot of people using NAS-es can benefit from this.
Code:
<samba>
        <clienttimeout>30</clienttimeout>
</samba>

And maybe you can consider adding useddsfanart from the default installation as well.
Code:
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
Can do that, though the latter might not matter on today's hardware.
(2014-05-05, 13:15)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]You did not. You are running a full blown Ubuntu with pulseaudio installed.

Apologies fritsch I upgraded from 12.04 server via dist-upgrade. I had previously followed the old guide. Disabling the backing store as per the instructions you provided for Spekkie helped, but I'm still getting artifacts during playback.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters or is my best bet a clean install?

Many thanks for all your hard work, it's really appreciated.
Debug Log please (everything the first page states).

Artifacts are not a matter of backing store, but problems with decoding.
Hi everyone !

Hi fritsh !

I think vdpau is not correctly loaded

Code:
$ DISPLAY=:0 vdpauinfo

display: :0   screen: 0
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error creating VDPAU device: 1

Is this the correct lib ?
If not, how can i replace this one by the mesa one ?

Code:
:/usr/lib/vdpau$ ll

total 8252
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root    4096 avril 26 12:54 .
drwxr-xr-x 158 root root   36864 mai    9 11:02 ..
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      25 mars  26 16:12 libvdpau_nouveau.so -> libvdpau_nouveau.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      25 mars  26 16:12 libvdpau_nouveau.so.1 -> libvdpau_nouveau.so.1.0.0
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 3199704 mars  26 16:13 libvdpau_nouveau.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      22 mars  26 16:12 libvdpau_r600.so -> libvdpau_r600.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      22 mars  26 16:12 libvdpau_r600.so.1 -> libvdpau_r600.so.1.0.0
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 2964976 mars  26 16:13 libvdpau_r600.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      26 mars  26 16:12 libvdpau_radeonsi.so -> libvdpau_radeonsi.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      26 mars  26 16:12 libvdpau_radeonsi.so.1 -> libvdpau_radeonsi.so.1.0.0
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 2234728 mars  26 16:13 libvdpau_radeonsi.so.1.0.0

I deal with problems for days...
Thanks a lot !

Xubuntu 14.04
XBMC 13
AMD E-350
See the logfiles ... first page, I want those.
(2014-05-09, 11:53)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]See the logfiles ... first page, I want those.

Here there are Smile
Thanks

dmesg | pastebinit
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7420581/
cat ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | pastebinit
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7420584/
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7420585/
DISPLAY=:0 vdpauinfo | pastebinit
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error creating VDPAU device: 1
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7420588/
dpkg -l |grep mesa | pastebinit
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7420590/