Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please don't flame me if this has already been answered, 205 pages is a lot to get through Smile

I've followed the howto on page one months ago and have had a happily working XBMC install ever since but I was wondering if a later version of XBMC is available? Would that be option "1b." of the current howto notes on page 1?

sudo apt-get update & upgrade report errors (404 Not Found) so I can't seem to update anything.

Thanks in advance.
Most likely you are running an outdated Ubuntu Version. Canonical stopped supporting 13.04 and 13.10 - provide the logfiles from the first post and we can see.
(2014-08-07, 08:33)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Most likely you are running an outdated Ubuntu Version. Canonical stopped supporting 13.04 and 13.10 - provide the logfiles from the first post and we can see.

Yes, its an outdated version of Ubuntu (13.04) I have tried to upgrade it in the past but it fails (error below) I suspect the issue is that the kernel version is different to what the upgrade util expects when comparing it to the OS version.

An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade.

This can be caused by:
* Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
* Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
* Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

Log files, do you mean the XBMC log files? I'm not experiencing any XBMC issues, I'd just like to upgrade it to the latest release but without breaking anything i.e. HD playback.
sorry, but specific help on how to release-upgrade ubuntu is out of scope of this thread.
(2014-08-07, 10:30)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]sorry, but specific help on how to release-upgrade ubuntu is out of scope of this thread.
No problem but in my defence I wasn't asking for help with that Smile
The drm_kms_helper workaround will work correctly starting with kernel 3.17 - thanks for the user that took the time to file the bugreport for me.

Alex (agd5f) has sent the relevant patch for 3.17 inclusion.
Quote:The drm_kms_helper workaround will work correctly starting with kernel 3.17 - thanks for the user that took the time to file the bugreport for me.
Alex (agd5f) has sent the relevant patch for 3.17 inclusion.

I thought i read most parts here, but I don't know what this one does and what is getting fixed. Are you willing to give a hint ?
Those patches allow you to boot your htpc with the AVR and the TV off. After you switch them on - you can use them like you had booted your PC with them powered on.
Thanks for your explanation, nice feature Smile
Hi everyone,

have just followed the steps to get VDPAU support working but looks like I missed something.

Before installing I removed the proprietary AMD driver I had installed and rebooted.

Now after following the instructions I only have a max 800x600 resolution and around 15fps.

Hope you can help me... here the logs and outputs:

dmesg
DISPLAY=:0 vdpauinfo
dpkg -l |grep mesa
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
cat ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

Sorry if it's something obvious but I'm still quite new to all this...

Thanks!
You did not follow the howto. You are running fglrx
Quote:[ 39.471768] fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. © 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
[ 39.471783] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
[ 39.490300] fglrx: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[ 39.514451] <6>[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 1506 MBytes.
[ 39.514842] <6>[fglrx] vendor: 1002 device: 9804 count: 1
[ 39.518367] <6>[fglrx] ioport: bar 1, base 0xf000, size: 0x100
[ 39.520786] <6>[fglrx] Kernel PAT support is enabled

No vdpau support with the blob.
Thanks for the very quick reply!

I thought removing the AMD proprietary driver would be enough... obviously not...

Now, I don't seem to be able to remove fglrx. I've tried several step-by-step guides which all pretty much say to do this:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-dev
sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
sudo rm -rf /etc/ati

But after reboot the dmesg output still has the same lines in it. See here: pastebin

Again sorry for being such a novice Big Grin
Most likely a custom fglrx installation ... by running the ati-installer from AMD. Just with the howto from scratch - that will help :-)
Oh, I see... Confused

Guess I'll go back to the AMD proprietary driver for now and then think about going back to Windows... sadly...

Trotzdem vielen Dank!
Yeah - the windows way, do whatever makes you happy.