Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Many thanks to Fritsch. My E350 finally dumps the flaw fgrlx. Big Grin

With the 3.11.4 kernel I still need to use xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set audio auto to enable HDMI audio. It is pretty annoying.
@BaGRoS:
ATI/AMD does not readout ELD names, e.g. you won't find your AVR to be selected.

and also please follow the howto, your kernel misses the patches I linked - so the audio stuttering is a known issue. Also that you only get 2 channel Audio is a known issue.

Either use the kernel I linked or build it yourself with all the patches.
(2013-10-15, 07:10)waveletboy Wrote: [ -> ]Many thanks to Fritsch. My E350 finally dumps the flaw fgrlx. Big Grin

With the 3.11.4 kernel I still need to use xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set audio auto to enable HDMI audio. It is pretty annoying.

There is something wrong, as this code should not be in 3.11.4 at all. Please provide the logfiles, btw. you can easily script that xrandr command to automatically run after startup.
@Jan0sh:
I am currently not planning to do so. As I see no point in using 12.04 and afterwards upgrading complete X server / mesa / driver / kernel stack.

I will switch to 13.10 when I find time - which is currently really limited.
(2013-10-15, 01:15)Jan0sh Wrote: [ -> ]I know it may have been asked before but I was unable to find it.
Will it ever be possible to get this working for current 12.04 LTS?

Maybe if it gets less bleeding-edge? Thanks in advance

its already possible if you compile all the needed stuff yourself, which I wouldn't recommend for the sake of your sanity.
Other then that: might take a while or might never happen
And another note for this beautiful day: mpeg-2 decoding support of SD content will miss over the day and return tomorrow :-) - it is in between done on the CPU.

We are sorry for the inconvinience in this bleeding edge ppa :-)
(2013-10-15, 02:48)BaGRoS Wrote: [ -> ]If I turn these options:

Adjust to match RefreshRate video: On
Sync Playback to Display: On
Sync Method: Video Clock (Drop/Dupe)

sound is interrupted.

I have a similar device (no switch mode 2.1 / 5.1) :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-to-HDMI-SPD...35cd1331b0
xbmc does not recognize my audio device correctly, Denon AVR-1705.
Can I force the recognition? To the sound was transmitted correctly for my device?

Thank you! I have been trying to get my audio working for a while... changing kernel params, xbmc audio settings, etc... and turning off "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" got my sound back. Those other 2 settings I was able to keep on.
(2013-10-15, 08:19)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]And another note for this beautiful day: mpeg-2 decoding support of SD content will miss over the day and return tomorrow :-) - it is in between done on the CPU.

We are sorry for the inconvinience in this bleeding edge ppa :-)

FIrst of all, thanks to you fritsch and wsnipex for your ongoing support and development, I guess we all wouldn't benefit as much as we do now by your effort and advices.

As I would have loved to setup my system on the last weekend, I waited for a working mesa package in ppa to show up. Since that has happened now, wouldn't it be possible to setup a "stable" xbmc version? That would allow users to choose if they want to use OSS with VDPU without being on the bleeding edge of mesa and xbmc.
@MTroi
We already parked mesa in wsnipex mesa ppa. That will be there, so that makes it "stable" there. Fabio has in the meantime also rebuild his packages, so - development continues.

For xbmc it is quite easy. Don't upgrade before the End of a month, which is the end of the merge window.

@morbid:
It makes absolutely no sense to disable Adjust Refreshrate to match video and at the same time enable Sync Playback to Display. How should a 24p Video sync to the DisplayClock of 50hz or 60hz?
(2013-10-15, 08:05)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]@BaGRoS:
ATI/AMD does not readout ELD names, e.g. you won't find your AVR to be selected.

and also please follow the howto, your kernel misses the patches I linked - so the audio stuttering is a known issue. Also that you only get 2 channel Audio is a known issue.

Either use the kernel I linked or build it yourself with all the patches.

There is no kernel for 386, and I do not know how to add patches.
So - then: no bitstream audio for you.

Edit: To make one point clear. This howto uses a 64 bit mini iso as basis. Every use case, self chosen package, installation of other distris are offtopic. I am always happy to help, but I cannot clean up your systems or support every custom made pain all over the world, please understand this.
Great work! Many thanks to all involved.

My boot time with xvba/lightdim was ~70 seconds, now it's ~12 :-). I think it's actually a little too fast, getting mysql and pvr errors on startup. I added some sleep time to the xbmc.conf before starting xbmc, guessing that the network setup needed more time, and the errors went away.

Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks for any thoughts.
You can change the upstart script and make it also wait on networking.
Thanks for the hint. After reading up on upstart, this seems to be a more proper fix, change 'start on' line in the xbmc.conf file.

From -
Code:
start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger)

To -
Code:
start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger and net-device-up IFACE=eth0)

Though this did slow down my boot time a bit, Thoughts?
(2013-10-14, 17:15)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Hi pet.klikera,

nice to hear that. If you find time, also provide your qvdpautest results. It is not so easy to compile, but you will get it working I am sure :-)

Sure, it's the least I can do! ...that is, if i could do it... ;-)

After adding dependancies (of course, as root):
Code:
apt-get install pkg-config qt4-default qt4-dev-tools qt4-qmake cmake zip unzip libvdpau-dev make g++
I compiled using the Robert Massaioli's script:
Code:
mkdir ~/qvdpautest
cd ~/qvdpautest
wget https://github.com/robertmassaioli/qvdpautest/archive/master.zip
unzip master.zip
cd qvdpautest-master/
bash -e build_and_run.bash

so when i run
Code:
cd ~/qvdpautest/qvdpautest-master/localbuild/src/
DISPLAY=:0 ./qvdpautest

I get the same result as Claudio.Sjo
Code:
Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5300  @ 2.60GHz
Unknown GPU

VDPAU API version : 1
VDPAU implementation : G3DVL VDPAU Driver Shared Library version 1.0

FATAL: get_bits failed : No backend implementation could be loaded.!!

MPEGDecoder: FATAL: Can't open ./mpghd.dat !!
qvdpautest: htab.c:83: vlGetDataHTAB: Assertion `handle' failed.
Aborted

Did I do something wrong?

Also: I get no sound out of the analog output of the integrated soundcard. Is there a way to get it?

Greets,
RW

P.S.: I overdid it with the code tags, right? Big Grin