Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I want to compile your vdpau-xbmc from git - should I use fernetmentas master or yours, or a special branch? Which compile-options are needed?

thx
You need the wsnipex mesa packages as Temporal is not yet in any official mesa release. That has nothing to do with xbmc as VDPAU is implement there since a long time.

But(!) with current versions > Alpha ( be it mainline or fernetmentas branch) we have optimized VDPAU so that throughput was adjusted to run as great on radeon vdpau implementation and on the nvidia one.
@tomtomme: fernetmenta master branch - the rest you find in the rules file of wsnipex tar.gz when you download it from the ppa itself. (make sure to disable pulse, use internal ffmpeg and use internal-librarires)
(2013-11-07, 08:44)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]@tomtomme: fernetmenta master branch - the rest you find in the rules file of wsnipex tar.gz when you download it from the ppa itself. (make sure to disable pulse, use internal ffmpeg and use internal-librarires)

thx fritsch. I am compiling right now with my "old" configuration except that I switched --enable-xvba to --enable-vdpau. I will have a look at this "rest" from wsnipex tar.gz, purge pulse etc., when it does not work. And I do have to figure out the options to use internal libs...
My goal is to get this done on opensuse 13.1 E-350 system and to deliver a nice HOWTO for the community here. Maybe that can be added to the first post?

EDIT:
I have searched the ppa for a tar.gz - there is none:
https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/...ies_filter=
if you compile without --disable-pulse you won't get the chance to do any passthrough and you won't get the new AudioEngine. Perhaps starting with: AE_ENGINE=Active xbmc will help.

i mostly compile: ./configure --enable-vdpau --disable-vaapi --disable-crystalhd --disable-libcec --disable-pulse --disable-debug

Edit:
For the howto: yes, sure - but I would consider you use the OpenSuse buildservice, there you can compile rpms easily
And in general: I hope this howto is obsolete when kernel 3.13 and mesa 10 and gotham v13 is available - cause everything will work out of the box.
@fritsch: Thanks for all the hints.
I tested it yesterday evening for a long time, (starting/stopping movies) but “unfortunately” I got no crash.
I will continue testing next evenings.

So long
(2013-11-07, 11:46)tomtomme Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-07, 08:44)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]@tomtomme: fernetmenta master branch - the rest you find in the rules file of wsnipex tar.gz when you download it from the ppa itself. (make sure to disable pulse, use internal ffmpeg and use internal-librarires)

thx fritsch. I am compiling right now with my "old" configuration except that I switched --enable-xvba to --enable-vdpau. I will have a look at this "rest" from wsnipex tar.gz, purge pulse etc., when it does not work. And I do have to figure out the options to use internal libs...
My goal is to get this done on opensuse 13.1 E-350 system and to deliver a nice HOWTO for the community here. Maybe that can be added to the first post?

From my experience building xbmc doesnt even need options except the prefix and libdir if you want to alter its build location. Pulse is disabled by default, vdpau et al are default on if the dev libs exist, internal ffmpeg, libs are used by default.
Hello

I did fresh install. I see and do it 1 post. Now xbmc is running, but I have some problem:
1. In picture and in music menu show "add source..." button, but in videos/filesis empty. I cant add sources... I try press "c" in videos menu and files menu, but missing "add sources..." I try remove an reinstall xbmc, abmc-bin, but unsuccessfull.
2. In System/Settings/Power Saving, the "Shutdown function" is showing "?0?" or "?-1?" instead of suspend or shutdown. And in power menu show only "exit" and "inhibit idle shutdown", missing the "shutdown, reboot, sleep".

Please help me, what can I fix this problems?
1.) nothing -> merge window - will get better around the 10th.
2.) read last page - you miss a package (sudo apt-get install consolekit) also check your polkit stuff
Thx for the fast answer Smile
2. is working Smile Power menu work, I can reboot or shutdown pc. But in system/settings/power saving the "shutdown function" is not changed. It show shutdown, and it is grey. How can I sleep the pc?
but what do you mean in first? What is mean merge window?
Those builds are master builds. Between every 1th and 10th all code that could go in goes in - and after the 10th everything is stabilized again.

We are currently in the middle of this process, so - it is broken and will be fixed later.
Power menu work, I can reboot or shutdown pc. But in system/settings/power saving the "shutdown function" is not changed. It show shutdown, and it is grey. How can I sleep the pc?
without "add source..." I cant see videos, films... It is very important Smile
yeah - nice :-)

remove your .xbmc and start over.

As said: problems known, hehe.
Nothing happend. Shutdown function is still grey, and missing add sources....

Hehe Smile

Then today I watch TV + lots of advertisement Big Grin

hehe Sad

Thx for help Smile
(2013-11-07, 15:45)gradinaruvasile Wrote: [ -> ]From my experience building xbmc doesnt even need options except the prefix and libdir if you want to alter its build location. Pulse is disabled by default, vdpau et al are default on if the dev libs exist, internal ffmpeg, libs are used by default.

thx - I read this a bit late, but everything except HD-sound is already working out of the box Big Grin

One strange thing: videos are fluent if NOT in fulscreen but windowed! Fulscreen stucks about every second a little bit. I suspected kwin-compositing, but thats not it (disabled it). Pulse audio was also disabled during compilation.

For HD sound I will try the marantz-firmware, because alsa-info.sh complains about wrong ELD.

My compilation options:

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-debug --disable-vaapi --enable-libbluray --disable-pulse --enable-vdpau --enable-non-free --enable-optimizations --enable-joystick --enable-xrandr --disable-goom --enable-samba --enable-nfs --enable-upnp