Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@locomotif: Do me a favor and _just_ read. The kernel in the start post is old - more than 4 weeks already. The patch for the artifacts is from today ... So it's obviously not included. I also linked the repository where you find which exact patch is applied with which kernel. So don't confuse others.

When @fatalsaint has reported if the artifacts are fixed, I might pick it to a 3.12.1-image
(2013-12-04, 22:15)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]@jaapp: Good catch, report this in the bugreport where it is coming from and provide some logs. I also have no luck for now with my Kabini and 3.13 - but no kernel faults detected.

Curious on the "Artifacts" People.

I will, as soon as I have some time (meaning: nobody is using the HTPC). I don't have a development environment to experiment on.
@fritsch,

i'm really not trying to be a nuisance...
since i'm still waiting for a fix to my other issue regarding 3.13, i'll just wait to see if you decide to update the 3.12 kernel

@deadite66, thanks for the explanation. that makes a lot of sense. maybe when i have some time, i'll play with this a little more.
starting to become more time consuming.
(2013-12-04, 21:34)locomot1f Wrote: [ -> ]i can't get you log files, cause I have no way
on my screen i get:
Code:
*ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU!!!
this repeats until it gives up
then it says:
Code:
*ERROR* radeon: failed initializing UVD (-1)

Oddly enough I'm getting these errors now. I was using 3.13-rc1 and upgraded to 3.13rc2-1 that I patched with the artifact fix and am getting this.

I am going to rebuild a previous kernel build with the patch and report back again... it takes my system a while to build a kernel Smile.
I updated to 3.13rc2-1, verified I was using 3.13rc2-1, rebooted now will not complete boot cycle.

Edit: getting same error as locomot1f reported "*ERROR* radeon: failed initializing UVD (-1)"
Ok, well, I get those UVD errors on both the 3.12-rc7 kernel and the 3.13rc2-1 kernel. With 3.12rc7 xbmc still starts up on boot just fine, but with 3.13rc2-1 it fails. I can manually restart xbmc and it comes up, which is strange.. in any case - on both kernels I still have the artifacts.

AMD A6-6400k w/ Radeon 8470D
mesa-git 10.0.1
ati-dri-git 10.0.1
libdrm-git 2.4.49-1
xf86-video-ati-git 20121110-1

Looks like someone already posted in the bug report that it doesn't work for them either. Guess we wait for another patch. I will now try and figure out why xbmc doesn't automatically start with the 3.13 kernel.
Good - make sure to report all those into the bugreports where the patches come from. Thanks for testing. It's a rough time, but we are only at -rc2 now, that can be made working until .13 final, which is the plan :-)
If people are pulling xbmc packages from wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master be aware there is a bug with 2:13.0~git20131205.0500-ed7431b-0saucy which causes service addons to fail. I had to roll back after taking a package upgrade. Supposedly this is fixed in GIT but just needs to be recompiled on that repo.
Oki, will be auto compiled tomorrow night.
fritsch, I'm trying to figure out based on your repo what commits where new in version 3.13-rc2 0.3 since 0.2. Is there some versioning logic going on I can use to find this out?

The reason I'm looking for these commits is because I want to figure out what is causing the jerking so I can place a bug report.
i copied over the HAWAII.bin drivers from here -- http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/
seems like they have not made it to the linux-firmware update yet....

also, @fritsch, i complied my own kernel -- Big Grin

(2013-12-05, 04:48)fatalsaint Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, well, I get those UVD errors on both the 3.12-rc7 kernel and the 3.13rc2-1 kernel. With 3.12rc7 xbmc still starts up on boot just fine, but with 3.13rc2-1 it fails. I can manually restart xbmc and it comes up, which is strange.. in any case - on both kernels I still have the artifacts.

AMD A6-6400k w/ Radeon 8470D
mesa-git 10.0.1
ati-dri-git 10.0.1
libdrm-git 2.4.49-1
xf86-video-ati-git 20121110-1

Looks like someone already posted in the bug report that it doesn't work for them either. Guess we wait for another patch. I will now try and figure out why xbmc doesn't automatically start with the 3.13 kernel.

this is what Alex D. has to say
Quote:Make sure you have installed the latest rlc ucode for your chip and make sure you've updated the ucode in your initrd if you are using one.

i asked him what this means, as i have no idea... any pointersHuh
Hi, first - thanks Fritsch for this, it is really appreciated.

Second - I installed according to your instructions, and all worked well, except the shutdown (and I did make sure that I removed the extra characters in that script).
Today I did 2 things:
- install the HomeRow web interface
- sudo apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

Now xbmc starts but there is a high idle CPU usage (33% on both CPUs) and it's at 16fps or less if I go to debugging mode (7-10fps). Resolution is at 1024x768, I think it was higher before.
If I try and play a video, it crashes or goes back to the home screen. Just navigating the menus bring both CPUs to 100%

I did update to the latest kernel
(Linux nano 3.13.0-rc2+ #1 SMP Wed Dec 4 17:31:18 CET 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

Let me know if I need to provide more info. Any suggestions as how to solve this?

dmesg: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6527448/
xbmc.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6527449/
Xorg.0.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6527450/
vdpau info: here I'm now getting an error whereas I wasn't getting one before:
xbmc@nano:~$ DISPLAY=:0 vdpauinfo | pastebinit
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error creating VDPAU device: 1
http://paste.ubuntu.com/6527451/
I did see in a previous post that it may be a sign of missing a few things, I typed:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-ati
but that was already installed.
dpkg -l |grep mesa : http://paste.ubuntu.com/6527456/
(2013-12-06, 00:30)locomot1f Wrote: [ -> ]this is what Alex D. has to say
Quote:Make sure you have installed the latest rlc ucode for your chip and make sure you've updated the ucode in your initrd if you are using one.

i asked him what this means, as i have no idea... any pointersHuh

The Radeon ucode's are provided, I believe, by linux-firmware. I did install linux-firmware-git to try it out, to update the radeon firmware, but I still get the UVD errors.
@vilnico: you installation is totally broken, start over with a clean install according to the howto