Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 12.2 High CPU Usage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The system boots fine and works great until you scroll down a list (quickly) then the CPU usage runs up to 100% on "both CPUs" and stays there, which in turn makes for choppy audio.

System Config:

Lastest (as of 10/6) 12.2 XBMCbuntu
dual core AMD 3 GHz Processor
Radeon 7600
4 GB RAM
2 TB HD
4 TB HD

I've added the dirty region stuff to the advancedsettings.xml, that didn't seem to help, I also updated to the latest video drivers, I turned on the debug log but didn't see anything that looked like it would help.

* One other weird thing:

when I log in to Ubuntu the desktop the desktop doesn't refresh correctly, I get "ghost" images of all the windows on the screen

Thanks everyone
This is a bug in in the interface (I don't know if it depends on the theme, but it happens to me with Confluence).
If you leave the "home" screen, and go to any of the setting pages, you won't see the high cpu usage any longer.

p.s.: the dirthyregion setting if it's not a scam, it's a waste of time.
(2014-07-19, 11:21)maxadamo Wrote: [ -> ]This is a bug in in the interface (I don't know if it depends on the theme, but it happens to me with Confluence).
If you leave the "home" screen, and go to any of the setting pages, you won't see the high cpu usage any longer.

update to a more recent version then.

why even comment on a year old post?
(2014-07-19, 11:21)maxadamo Wrote: [ -> ]This is a bug in in the interface (I don't know if it depends on the theme, but it happens to me with Confluence).

You think you've been swindled by the dirtyregions setting? wat?

Just because it did not lower CPU usage for you doesn't mean it isn't an actual feature of XBMC that does work. There's countless reasons why there might be an issue in this situation. I understand that you're frustrated, but please don't go spouting nonsense on the forum.

If you'd like to get to the bottom of your issue then update XBMC to v13 and try again. If there is still an issue then please provide a debug log (wiki), which will tell us more information.
(2014-07-19, 11:31)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]

update to a more recent version then.

why even comment on a year old post?

Perhaps because this issue has never been fixed?
I already have gotham 13.1 release candidate. Do you have a feature like "import from future" in python?

(2014-07-20, 04:00)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]

You think you've been swindled by the dirtyregions setting? wat?

Just because it did not lower CPU usage for you doesn't mean it isn't an actual feature of XBMC that does work. There's countless reasons why there might be an issue in this situation. I understand that you're frustrated, but please don't go spouting nonsense on the forum.

If you'd like to get to the bottom of your issue then update XBMC to v13 and try again. If there is still an issue then please provide a debug log (wiki), which will tell us more information.

I am using 13.1 and it's not nosense what I wrote and in my opinion you won't find anything useful in the logs (I already analyzed the logs myself).

- I have reset the settings to default
- I am using confluence theme
- I tried to disable preview for recently added items
- I tried the dirtyregions settings trick

The problem disappear when I move away from the "Home" screen to any other screen: let's say I click one ot the setting windows or any other menu.
In this case the CPU usage goes at 5%.
If you want to know more I have found a workaround, which is suitable for me.
As I use the autologin feature of the Login Display Manager in Linux (in order to have all the services available, web interace and upnp and so on) I have just changed the "starting screen" section to "settings", instead of "home".
In this case the CPU usage goes to 3%

p.s.: I don't know the exact name of this option as I am using the Italian localization: however, after login I get the "setting screen" and not the "home" screen.

I don't use any fancy screen saver: dim screensaver by default.
Even if I disable "dim" screensaver nothing changes.
Dirty regions most likely didn't have any effect because it's been enabled by default since v12. In other words, adding or removing it from advancedsettings.xml didn't change anything, because the most basic functions were always on no matter what.

The debug log isn't going to just flat out say "this is the problem". Rather, we need the logs to gather information, like what GPU hardware you are using, if XBMC was doing any kind of scanning or even just checking for updates (even though those are supposed to be normal functions), what messages, if any, is Confluence giving about the situation (or even the lack of information might indicate something), etc. Unless you actually understand XBMC's programming then you can't really conclude that the log doesn't contain any useful information.

High CPU usage could be a symptom of any number of issues, and we can't even be sure that you are having the same issue that the original poster had.
there were fixes done in the dirtyregion code that reduced CPU on home screen
Well I just upgraded to 13.2-BETA1 Git:450924a from 13.1 Git:f2acae7 today and noticed cpu at 30-40% while idling on home screen.

Reverted back to 13.1 Git:f2acae7 and cpu is back to 3-6% while idling on home screen.

Debug log: http://pastebin.com/MxiZg0g4

Being the final unstable saucy build I'll stick with 13.1 until moving to trusty lts.
If you have the RSS feed on the home screen enabled dirty regions won't show any effect because the content on screen is constantly changing. Rendering the GUI at 60Hz puts a lot of load on the ION GPU. The closer the GPU gets to its limits the more CPU load you can observe.
Dear all, we have found what the issue was, and I am really happy.
I disabled RSS feeds on the home screen (that are enabled by default) and now the CPU is at 3%
FernetMenta gave me the idea.... Wink

However, is this something expected, or is it something "crazy"? How can this text moving on the bottom cause 80% of CPU usage?

p.s.: and it makes perfectly sense: when I was leaving the home screen, the RSS feeds were not showing anymore...

Is it a known issue?
Do you want me to file a bug?
(2014-07-21, 20:22)maxadamo Wrote: [ -> ]Is it a known issue?
yes
Quote:Do you want me to file a bug?
no
(2014-07-21, 20:22)maxadamo Wrote: [ -> ]However, is this something expected, or is it something "crazy"? How can this text moving on the bottom cause 80% of CPU usage?

XBMC uses a rendering similar to that of a game. The downside is that it uses more CPU/GPU, the upside is that we get cooler effects and smoother animations. Even if the moving text isn't the most impressive thing on the face of the planet most of our animations are very smooth. And they are very smooth when comparing to applications which doesn't use a game rendering design.

Compare XBMC to a website, a typical application or android. They historically suffers from micro stutters. Thats because they are designed from the ground up to be static, animations is a side product. A game is design from the ground up to be dynamic, it doesn't care if nothing or the entire screen changes, its treated roughly the same, and optimized for full changes and thus smooth when that occurs.

Both designs have their ups and downs, both tries to find a balance were everything is smooth when dynamic and uses less resources when static.

But as said previously, 80% of CPU is most likely a system error or malconfiguration than xbmc doing something wierd. My ION uses less than 10% IIRC.

Cheers,
Tobias
(2014-07-21, 20:22)maxadamo Wrote: [ -> ]How can this text moving on the bottom cause 80% of CPU usage?

if only a single pixel changes, the entire screen needs to be rendered. OpenGL rendering on Linux has no "preserve back buffer" function. The feed may also move too fast. Moving it faster than 24fps makes no sense. (EDIT: scratch the last 2 sentences Smile )

Maybe I will submit a change which disabled the RSS feed as default.
Pages: 1 2