Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Hard time Showing Chinese Characters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was able to display chinese characters in the Transparency! skin on my laptop and desktops (running windows) by switching to the arial font within the apperance settings, however there were a few variables to this as well (I have chinese installed in windows as a secondary language) and i installed the addon entitled "Skin Font" (Author: taxigps, Version:0.0.2, type: script) which I believe i got from the chinese repository within SuperRepo (I'm not sure if it works but it shows a bunch of chinese characters in arial font in the addon's picture).

So in an attempt to get chinese to display on my android device I copied the arial.ttf and arial-caps.ttf from my windows machine and put it into the fonts folder of skin.droid. I also edited the font.xml in the 1080i folder of skin.droid (backing up the original of course) I edited the font.xml to include the arial and arial-caps ttf files as a second fontset running along side the default. To do this i just duplicated the default fontset and replaced the RobotoCondensed fonts with the arials, putting the arial-caps in the right places too. This was my result.

This did change my latin letters into the arial font but i still cannot display chinese, I also added the "Skin Font" addon just in case but no, didnt work. I know I can change character encoding to something like GB for simplified chinese but English is my first language so Id like not to mess around with the encodings to much

PS...in arial, hebrew and russian displayed fine
Im going to try again when i have some more time using another unicode ttf that I know for a fact has chinese characters just to test it (if that works than i know the problem is just with the arial font and not with the skin) still,any help would be apericated.
do you have any success displaying chinese characters ? I would like to learn how you did it and appreciate if you can share.
(2013-10-21, 19:00)digitaltomj Wrote: [ -> ]Im going to try again when i have some more time using another unicode ttf that I know for a fact has chinese characters just to test it (if that works than i know the problem is just with the arial font and not with the skin) still,any help would be apericated.
I found that if you switch to the pre-installed Arial font that all characters can be displayed.
(2015-03-08, 05:55)digitaltomj Wrote: [ -> ]I found that if you switch to the pre-installed Arial font that all characters can be displayed.

it works, thanks alot ^_^