Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Don't forget a space by pressing the "Leertaste" :-)
:p
My NUC has started to not shut down and instead reboot again grr

Also was anyone able to file a bug report with ubuntu on why you can't do a clean install using UEFI? I get missing os after reboot
(2014-01-03, 13:46)tutu Wrote: [ -> ]My NUC has started to not shut down and instead reboot again grr

Does this Issue only exist with Linux or also with Windows?
Anyone tried to shut down without a Network Cable?
(2014-01-03, 06:02)millercentral Wrote: [ -> ]I've found that VA-API doesn't work if "multithreaded" is enabled (i5 Haswell NUC). With multithreaded selected the stream never really starts, and the system eventually locks up.

Yes, now VA-API works for me too Big Grin

(2014-01-03, 13:58)-DDD- Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-03, 13:46)tutu Wrote: [ -> ]My NUC has started to not shut down and instead reboot again grr

Does this Issue only exist with Linux or also with Windows?
Anyone tried to shut down without a Network Cable?

Just tried it, disconnected the LAN Cable but it still reboots Sad

@ Fritsch

Leertaste und in die selbe Zeile klappt auch nicht Smile
and now Windows 30 Days Trial Version Wink
Mine shuts down fine on Ubuntu 13.10

Power's a bit crazy though. Power button stopped working. Also automatically boots when mains power is first switched on (plugs are off overnight)

Dave
Windows - never again thanks Smile
windows is only to test if it OS related or bios related, not to use it forever Wink
(2013-12-27, 19:17)joenitro Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

So, I've had my i5 Haswell NUC (D54250WYK), 60GB SSD, 8 gigs ram for a week. It's a lovely thing, apart from a few problems:

I cant F2 into BIOS at all with my (wired) HP USB keyboard :-( Tried the rear and front USB ports. Tried with NUC connected to my Denon 2113 AVR and also to my Panasonic Plasma (5 years old - TH-37PX70) same result - pressing F2 causes the NUC to hang completely, with only remedy being to power off and on again.
I CAN however, press F10 at POST to change the boot device and F7 to update BIOS (which I've done to the latest 022 version). Any ideas as it's proving to be rather frustrating now?!

Also, I've installed Windows 7 and XBMC(!). Boots up very fast and loaded my mysql library fine. All ok except that a lot of my (99% 720p h264 mkv) movies have a green band across the top of screen in the black bar area :-(
Tried with hardware acceleration on/off and also changing display refresh rate to match video etc to no avail).

I then tried the latest stable intel build of Openelec (running off a 16GB USB stick, just for testing purposes) with similar results and also the grey blacks problem :-(

Would I be better off trying Windows 8.1 instead or waiting for Gotham?
It's really annoying, as I've bought the NUC as an upgrade to my Apple TV2 which, although quite slow in the menus (the main reason for getting the NUC!!!) it mainly just, works!

Any ideas welcome and if I find something that DOES work, I'll inform this thread accordingly :-)

Me again!

So after more testing with my i5, I've now settled on Windows 8.1 as an OS (yeah I know, but I need to be able to use Teamviewer and it's working fine for me so far :-P ) and it's working really well so far. Boots straight into XBMC in about 15 seconds or so. No green bars on anything so far and also managed to get HD audio playing correctly after ensuring that the Realtek Audio drivers were installed. Now plays BD iso's with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-Master Audio perfectly :-)

One problem I do have is with the infared sensor. It's all recognised fine in Device manager and I've installed the Nuvoton CIR driver. But my MCE remote ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/media-centre-remote-n18hc ) wont work with it at all. If I use the supplied dongle though, it works fine. Any ideas?
I've tried Dolphin Emu 4.0 with the i5 version (HD 5000) on Linux and on Super Mario Wii at 1080p (internally 1x) I am only getting about 35 fps and feels too slow to play (like mario is walking slowly). Has anyone tried it on Windows? Just wondering if the linux drivers aren't quite upto scratch yet as far as performance is concerned.

It was about 58fps on my old A10 5700. I can't drop the res (the only options I have are auto or 1080p). I guess because my XBMC is running at 1080p. Unless anyone knows how to make that happen?

My specs are:

D54250WYK Core i5 4250U / 1.3 GHz / HD Graphics 5000
Kingston SSDNow mS200 60 GB
Kingston 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM 1.35V

Does the NUC automatically run the ram at 1600Mhz with tight timings or is this something I must do? Can you OC the RAM?
(2014-01-03, 09:52)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]@millercentral:
"Multithreaded": Please read the description. This highly interfers with every HW Acceleration. HW Decoders need to get the frames single threaded or they crash hard. This setting will be moved to Expert Settings and I will put in a really fat warning. So - that is to be expected.

Hi Fritsch, sorry I knew that, but inferred that "Use Software Filter for VAAPI" meant HW Acceleration wasn't in use. My bad!

Question for lmyllari: With VA-API+SW Filter, is the 16-255 luminance still accurate, or should we add back the xrandr workaround to autostart.sh?

Thanks!

ps...

As a summary to the overall status using the Haswell NUC for OpenElec as based on the latest:

- Boot time from cold boot: under 5 seconds.
- Video Quality: Awesome
- 23.996/24Hz playback: Perfect
- HD-Audio: Working perfectly, even with refresh rate changes (I turned off navigation sounds, but not sure if this is needed or not - my puppy barks at the "swoosh")
- IR Remote: Works great with RC6-based MCE remotes (including power on from off), but requires autostart.sh modification to work around BIOS bug.
- Power States: Still troublesome, shutdown often results in reboot, standby wakes immediately. However, the NUC uses very little power at idle, so the suggested workaround is to just leave it running.

The only thing I'm still trying to solve is how to make a dual-boot menu screen that can be selected from the IR remote... SysLinux doesn't recognize the remote, possibly GRUB or maybe something UEFI related....

The Gotham dailies are also very stable, I've left it running for a week at a time with no crash.

I am very appreciative of everyone's involvement in making this a great experience.
(2014-01-03, 20:29)joenitro Wrote: [ -> ]One problem I do have is with the infared sensor. It's all recognised fine in Device manager and I've installed the Nuvoton CIR driver. But my MCE remote ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/media-centre-remote-n18hc ) wont work with it at all. If I use the supplied dongle though, it works fine. Any ideas?

Maybe the NUC have the same Nuvoton Chip like here?! https://communities.intel.com/thread/45662
(2014-01-03, 21:15)-DDD- Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-03, 20:29)joenitro Wrote: [ -> ]One problem I do have is with the infared sensor. It's all recognised fine in Device manager and I've installed the Nuvoton CIR driver. But my MCE remote ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/media-centre-remote-n18hc ) wont work with it at all. If I use the supplied dongle though, it works fine. Any ideas?

Maybe the NUC have the same Nuvoton Chip like here?! https://communities.intel.com/thread/45662

-DDD-,

Maybe so, but I haven't had a problem with the nuvoton driver in that sense. By the time I was installing windows 8.1, that driver was already released and I already had it. The CIR all appears to be working fine according the the device manager, but doesn't respond to any remote key presses. Pop in the supplied USB infrared dongle and it works straight away....very frustrating.
You haven't had a Problem with what Kind of OS? Win8.1 or Win8? The Problem in Intel Forums seems to be only Win8.1 related.