Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-01-07, 23:31)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]Under Win8.1 I have "c" mapped under registry to "guide" button.

Perfect.

Ya, everything has been just perfect with this machine. I can't believe how much faster the UI and just general actions are when compared to my old Atom machine. I didn't really think I needed to update it but pulled the trigger anyways... DAMN. It's noticeable!

If anyone makes it this far in this thread and is wondering if it's a machine worth buying, give you a resounding yes.
(2014-01-08, 00:04)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, passthrough has probably problems with that option.

Cause we cannot really do something, when the audio and video are slidely off. Passthrough you can only duplicate or drop package wise or alternatviley use the Audio Cock as source - bad for video :-)

Should work nicely with 7.1 LPCM :-)

@fritsch, will the audio engine in Gotham decode the full HD Audio stream for DTS-MA/TrueHD if bit-streaming is disabled?
Is it possible to use the NUC with non MCE remote? I have two MCE remote devices now since obtaining my I5 NUC, and naturally both devices are receiving the same IR commands which is less than optimal. I am using a a Harmony One as a remote so lots of options for remote emulation, I am not sure what to do on the NUC side. I am running OE 3.2.4, and other than this issue I am in love with this little box.
(2014-01-08, 06:03)WTF0v3r Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to use the NUC with non MCE remote? I have two MCE remote devices now since obtaining my I5 NUC, and naturally both devices are receiving the same IR commands which is less than optimal. I am using a a Harmony One as a remote so lots of options for remote emulation, I am not sure what to do on the NUC side. I am running OE 3.2.4, and other than this issue I am in love with this little box.
Yes. Let me know how this works.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182047
(2014-01-08, 00:02)arokh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-07, 16:09)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Try it.

So I tried it and there are slight audio glitches and more dropped frames in the start of the Star Trek blu-ray remux with TrueHD with "sync playback to display" turned on. I'll keep it off for now looks smooth as butter for me.

That's unfortunate. Looks like there is no reason to upgrade to Haswell now.
(2014-01-08, 01:52)millercentral Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-08, 00:04)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, passthrough has probably problems with that option.

Cause we cannot really do something, when the audio and video are slidely off. Passthrough you can only duplicate or drop package wise or alternatviley use the Audio Cock as source - bad for video :-)

Should work nicely with 7.1 LPCM :-)

@fritsch, will the audio engine in Gotham decode the full HD Audio stream for DTS-MA/TrueHD if bit-streaming is disabled?

There is no decoder for DTS-HD currently, so the DTS core is used and you get 6 channels.
(2014-01-08, 08:04)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]That's unfortunate. Looks like there is no reason to upgrade to Haswell now.

I think you misunderstood. 24p and HD audio playback is perfect here as far as I can see. I just played with that option because Fritsch said it should be on. Haswell can playback at 23.976 fps so there should be no need to sync playback to the display. The method mentioned will drop and/or dupe frames if it thinks that's necessary, which will obviously mean crackling audio and stuttering picture when it does. Perfect playback should be achieved by playing back at same framerate as video and untouched audio.

Are you guys experiencing audio out of sync when bitstreaming? It is definitely perfect here but then again my Denon AVR has HDMI lip sync, maybe that's why?
New drivers are available for the ethernet port and rapid storage. You can find it in the intel downloadcenter.
Think of material that claims to be 23.976fps but is not.
(2013-05-26, 00:23)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]4.) XBMC settings
System->Settings->System->Video Settings:
Vertical Sync: Always on

System ->Video->Playback:
Use HQ Scaler when scaling larger than: 20%
VAAPI: On
Use SW Filter for VAAPI: On
Adjust Refreshrate to match video: On
Sync Playback to Display: On
Sync Method: Video Clock (Drop/Dupe)

Oh!! with Sync Playback to Display on, the Subtitles (setting them ahead +200) are now in perfect sync. With Sync Playback to Display disabled, setting them 100+ is too slow and +200 too fast.

Playing a remuxed MKV DTS-HD is working fine for me, refresh: 24 missed: 0 speed: +0.100% sync: 0% avg: 0%. Im getting some Drops and Skips at the start of the movie, but no more during the play.

Does the "speed: +0.100%" mean it had to correct the Audio with 0.100 ahead?
Vertical Sync: Is something special on Linux. The Always Enable heavily tries to tell the driver what to do. As intel driver Auto vsyncs, keep that to Let Driver Decide and restart xbmc.
(2014-01-07, 18:35)hellow Wrote: [ -> ]I feel that my nuc is making to much noise. I was wondering what cpu load, speed and temp is when idle in menus?

Does any care to post your numbers?

I would be forever thankfull Wink

I have set the minimum duty cycle to 30.
The only Info. On fan noise i found is on the Intel community site.
https://communities.intel.com/message/215606#215606
I also wane know what are the best settings?
For NUC i3 openelec.
(2014-01-08, 11:54)edp_1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-07, 18:35)hellow Wrote: [ -> ]I feel that my nuc is making to much noise. I was wondering what cpu load, speed and temp is when idle in menus?

Does any care to post your numbers?

I would be forever thankfull Wink

I have set the minimum duty cycle to 30.
The only Info. On fan noise i found is on the Intel community site.
https://communities.intel.com/message/215606#215606
I also wane know what are the best settings?
For NUC i3 openelec.

Thanks for the link!
I set my Nuc i5 to 25% minimum, and I hear it only, when temps rise to approx. 70 degrees. As I'm using it most of the time to watch media via XBMC it doesn't bother me much, as temperaturres stay low while watching movies.
Hello,

I have had the I3 haswell nuc for a while now. First installed the OpenElec nightly (13559 I believe) but had only trouble with this. Could not even install a new skin or anything so then I went for the 3.2.4 stable version. I still have a few issues though:

- Before I had setup a MySQL library on my NAS, and this worked perfect for my ATV2 and Ipad. When I tried to acces this db (by adding the advancedsettings.xml and after adding the sources) on my nuc it doesn't work. Is there any reason that this shouldn't work? Maybe the IOS/OpenElec combination does not work? All XBMC's are version 12.2

- More importantly, even with only using a local database installed on my NUC, XBMC will quit sort of every 24-48 hours displaying "exited with code 139" I have googled this (of course) but as far as I could see this is a generic linux warning and doesn't really point anywhere specific.
This morning I wanted to play some music, and it quit with the same message. I have a debug log here: http://pastebin.com/H6sp1cmN

Anyone else has this problem with OE?

The other strage thing is that it is showing info about a advancedsettings.xml in my debug log, but I have completely removed this from my userdata folder. (besides the content of this file is completely different) Did this file come standard with OE?

Videoplayback seems fine (with VAAPI and VDPAU OFF and XVBA ON) and the black levels look correct to me (LCD tv).

Hope anyone can help so I can make it more stable (and maybe even share the library).

Thanks!