Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi guys,

I am thinking if i should buy the i3 nuc i3 i5 nuc.
Do you think both will handle h265? Also does i3 handle x265 10 bit?
Can you guys please try and see what's the cpu usage for this samples, both with i3 and i5? I would be gratefull.

http://android.tnonline.net/Software/Vid...0Software/

I assume that both cannot handle 4k in the future.

I would like to make sure, the nuc would not become obsolete in 2-3 years, so i am thinking if the i5 will be worth it.
(2014-01-08, 10:22)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Think of material that claims to be 23.976fps but is not.

Hi Fritsch, long time no chat.

So, is it your understanding that 23.976 playback with Haswell should be okay without setting the sync display? I am having to do the same with a GT430 as otherwise when passing HD audio I get periodic audio glitches. It works pretty well but I do get small micro stutters in playback. I was hoping that Haswell would cure this but it sounds like things aren't really 100% there yet.

The lack of "perfect" audio/video playback similar to a hardware player is definitely one of the things with XBMC that has been causing lots of frustration for me personally as I have moved almost exclusively to HD content.
(2014-01-08, 17:04)tfouto Wrote: [ -> ]I assume ...

You assume wrong.
(2014-01-08, 17:49)joelbaby Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-08, 17:04)tfouto Wrote: [ -> ]I assume ...

You assume wrong.

So do you think the i3 nuc will be able to handle 4k? In what basis do think that?

Thanks
i3 will be fine for that.

1080p uses hardly any cpu
(2014-01-08, 17:04)tfouto Wrote: [ -> ]hi guys,

I am thinking if i should buy the i3 nuc i3 i5 nuc.
Do you think both will handle h265? Also does i3 handle x265 10 bit?
Can you guys please try and see what's the cpu usage for this samples, both with i3 and i5? I would be gratefull.

http://android.tnonline.net/Software/Vid...0Software/

I assume that both cannot handle 4k in the future.

I would like to make sure, the nuc would not become obsolete in 2-3 years, so i am thinking if the i5 will be worth it.
nuc i3
It looks like i've "bypassed" the OpenElec shutdown problem by disabling the Wake ON Lan feature in the bios. I did several tests and shutdown now always results in a proper shutdown instead of a reboot.

Now if i can only solve the annoying "XZ-corrupted data is compressed / system halted" then the NUC is ready for business.
That is a h264 video

You could check out a few HEVC/h265 videos here or here.

The Big Buck Bunny1080p MPEG2 TS, HEVC+AAC 1713 kbps sample utilize about 50% of the i5-4250u CPU with HD 5000 on a MacBook Air running MplayerX, which is more or less equal to the new i5 NUC. The internal XBMC DVDplayer was not so fond of this format. The vide decoder is probably not optimized yet, but it is utilizing 50% less than the demo video on the DivX 10 web pages..
(2014-01-08, 22:17)Torroa Wrote: [ -> ]That is a h264 video

You could check out a few HEVC/h265 videos here or here.

The Big Buck Bunny1080p MPEG2 TS, HEVC+AAC 1713 kbps sample utilize about 50% of the i5-4250u CPU with HD 5000 on a MacBook Air running MplayerX, which is more or less equal to the new i5 NUC. The internal XBMC DVDplayer was not so fond of this format. The vide decoder is probably not optimized yet, but it is utilizing 50% less than the demo video on the DivX 10 web pages..

http://www.divx.com/en/hevc

Can you check the % here? 4k shouldn't handle. What about the 1080p HEVC?
(2014-01-08, 06:23)stokd Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-08, 06:03)WTF0v3r Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to use the NUC with non MCE remote? I have two MCE remote devices now since obtaining my I5 NUC, and naturally both devices are receiving the same IR commands which is less than optimal. I am using a a Harmony One as a remote so lots of options for remote emulation, I am not sure what to do on the NUC side. I am running OE 3.2.4, and other than this issue I am in love with this little box.
Yes. Let me know how this works.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182047

This was just the ticket. Thanks for this! Your keymap is missing a couple of keys so I am going to be adding them, but at least you have shown me the way!
(2014-01-08, 21:54)hvdheurik Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like i've "bypassed" the OpenElec shutdown problem by disabling the Wake ON Lan feature in the bios. I did several tests and shutdown now always results in a proper shutdown instead of a reboot.

Just hope your power button doesn't take a dive. Wake on Lan is the only way I can power on right now. Has anyone else solved the power button issue?

One gentleman said he had by removing the ram. I did so to no avail.
My powerbutton still works fine. And my Harmony One can power on the Nuc just like it did before disabling wake-LAN. The shutdown problem seems to be related to the version of the Linux kernel that OpenElec uses. For me this bypass has solved my problem for now.

I'm actually waiting for the Samsung EVO msata drives to be available so I can just install Windows 8.1. I've tried Windows 8.1 on my laptop connected to my TV and the large Retro icons work great on a TV.
I wouldn't wait for the EVO drives, the difference in speed won't be felt if you're using this for HTPC use. I don't think power buttons are failing but there does seem to be some software weirdness going on, I just leave mine powered up :-)
(2014-01-09, 07:16)Clack Wrote: [ -> ]Just hope your power button doesn't take a dive. Wake on Lan is the only way I can power on right now. Has anyone else solved the power button issue?

One gentleman said he had by removing the ram. I did so to no avail.

My powerbutton stopped working as well. Fortunately my HTC One has IR which I use to turn it on.
Perhaps it would be helpful, If people with power button problems would post at least partly their serial numbers. It might be a problem with a (regional) chargeHuh

I for now don't have any problems with the button. Fingers crossed Angel