Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-03-06, 23:09)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]The image quality is perfect. We use the swfilter + deinterlace with Yadif, method "Deinterlace". There is no better deinterlacer in the whole linux world (despite perhaps the new BBC deinterlacer, but that's not really realtime).

Concerning the black colors:

Sometimes autodetection of the screen fails. Then range is set to limited, which means, while the display is in deed Full. This will remove all blacks and also all whites -> gray
If it's wrongly detected as Full but is in deed limited, then you get much too dark images.

Use some Test images, too see if everything is fine - changing such a misdetection is not a realy problem, needs to be do once and fine:

The images you posted are quite helpful Fritsch. Do you know if they will display correctly for testing purposes if they are just downloaded directly from the thread, put on an SD card and displayed on the device?
If you use a capable browser, of course, alternatively use wget to get the URL.

e.g. View Image in new tab. Save Image as.
(2014-03-08, 00:03)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]If you use a capable browser, of course, alternatively use wget to get the URL.

OE does not have a browser, at least not that I am aware of. I'd consider just loading Linux, but frankly my UNIX skills are rusty and it looks like a pain in the ass to set up and maintain.
(2014-03-08, 00:05)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]curl -o /storage/pic1.jpg https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...b_test.jpg
curl -o /storage/pic2.jpg https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...ierung.jpg

Groovy. Now I just have to wait for my hardware to show up so I can test all this crap out! Nod
(2014-03-07, 15:20)focke_oeuf Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone,

I received my i3 NUC yesterday and installed it in almost no time (Bios setup bug for one hour and then worked with no reason...) with the Bios v024 and OE 4.0 BĂȘta.

Everything went smoothly HDMI plugged on my Yamaha AV receiver but I have a few interrogations though:
- For the audio output, the HDMI mentions my TV instead of my AV receiver. I get sound from the AV receiver, but I'm not sure if I have to configure any passthrough option or not. For the moment I let it as default, but what the passthrough is made for in my case?
- My AV receiver should be able to decode almost any audio stream, should I check all the options for audio HD codecs or should I only check the one I want Xbmc to output?
Would you know where I can find copyright free videos to test the different HD audio codecs handled by the NUC?

You have a very recent A/V Receiver that can decode nearly all audio formats, as my yamaha 3020 (last generation).

Personnaly, I prefer to use Passthrough for all formats, specially DTS, because those Yamaha do a great job for that.

So, I only activate Adjust display to match video and Audio Passthrough : I have smooth video on Openelec beta 4 without stuttering (i had few little stuttering with Frodo) and audio is decoded as DTS or DTH-HD for instance in the Yamaha.

With the turn around of the advanced Settings (audio delay), I get well synchronized sound on video.

So all is perfect for now !

I have also my TV name that appears in the Sound System of XBCM.
(2014-03-08, 00:03)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-08, 00:03)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]If you use a capable browser, of course, alternatively use wget to get the URL.

OE does not have a browser, at least not that I am aware of. I'd consider just loading Linux, but frankly my UNIX skills are rusty and it looks like a pain in the ass to set up and maintain.

Opera for OpenElec http://openelec.tv/forum/90-miscellaneou...-flash-but
(2014-03-08, 08:06)-DDD- Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-08, 00:03)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]

Opera for OpenElec http://openelec.tv/forum/90-miscellaneou...-flash-but

Interesting. Will have to see how it works.
Really easy, the most difficult for me was the Sound in Flash, i had to create a asound.conf for my HTPC
Is there a way to turn off the soap opera/motion smoothing effect? When I watch something from the NUC it has that really bad fake looking effect, which I don't get from my WD Live box.
That's a setting on your TV, perhaps specific to the source your NUC is on.
I don't think so, the settings on the TV are the same for both sources.
Is it the same if you connect NUC to the HDMI on TV where now WD is connected?
(2014-03-07, 19:25)Jorgensen Wrote: [ -> ]....
I just tested the file from you link. And it works perfectly here. The sound comes from the speaker illustrated on the TV.

My setup:
Intel Hasweel i3
Ubuntu Server 13.10 - I installed XBMC following this guide: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1429454

So far I have played media with DD and DTS-HD and everything has worked perfectly for me....

Thank you Jorgensen
This is not through xbmc, correct? Just the file played directly through one of the embedded video players in Ubuntu, and the config on the sound app set for hdmi 5.1?

The difference appears to be the connection config - yours directly to amp, mine to TV via hdmi, then to amp via optical.
The passthrough will not work in my case.*

*The passthrough works via xbmc however by setting the sound app setting to stereo and then xbmc decodes the 5.1, DTS, AC3 etc when 'enable passthrough' is selected

But it looks like to process from 5.1 output from the NUC, it needs to go directly to amp.
(my amp has no hdmi inputs - would require an hdmi splitter/converter)
(2014-03-08, 00:03)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ].... OE does not have a browser, at least not that I am aware of. I'd consider just loading Linux, but frankly my UNIX skills are rusty and it looks like a pain in the ass to set up and maintain.

I'm using xbmc over Linux Mint 16 - Mint is extremely intuitive to use, the Cinnamon desktop in Mint, for me, is a lot easier to adapt to (if you are a Windows user) than the Unity desktop
It is really simple to install and set-up. Comes with Firefox but you can easily add whatever browser you prefer (Opera or Chrome or more)
You use the software manager to find the applications you want and they will install automatically.
And installing xbmc is a breeze too - you will need to use the Terminal for the Beta but if you can cut/paste that is all you need. Big Grin