Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-03-27, 14:34)Nafi Wrote: [ -> ]@ focke_oeuf

just tried to reproduce this. No problem for me. It's working as it should.

I also use Nuc D34010 with openelec 4 beta.

Hi, thanks for testing. Are you using Bêta 1 or 2?

I had a quick look at the youtube addon thread and it appears that some people made some corrections which are not reported on github.
I'll try to uninstall/reinstall the addon to see if that changes anything.
Having used Steam In Home Streaming, I must say, it's well done. Spin it up.. don't count it out Wink
Regarding my USB 3.0 problem, here is at least "some" confirmation by Sylvia_intel:

quote:
"Steve, we just received an update saying that there is an issue with the USB 3.0; however I’m not sure if it applies to your problem.

I just sent the information to the engineering team so they can confirm it to me. In the mean time please check the thread."

https://communities.intel.com/message/229513#229513
So my Intel buddy just handed me a D54250WYB i5 NUC motherboard, but no power supply or chassis. Can you guys suggest a decent, affordable case I can pair it with? He also gave me an 80gb mSATA drive to go with it, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!
i use a no-name notebook power supply with 19V - 65W with a 5.5 mm/OD (outer diameter) and 2.5 mm/ID (inner diameter) plug.

see the tech specs for more infos http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23089/en...Spec03.pdf

for the chassis, I love the Abel series from http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/nuc-chassis/
for other fan-less solutions look at this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=187966
@seedubxj
I like the Akasa Tesla H case.
I saw the Akasa, but man, that price is steep. Are there cheaper options? Anyone who upgraded care to sell me their OE case?
(2014-03-27, 15:28)Taxcheat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-27, 13:28)arokh Wrote: [ -> ]XBMC can play bluray off discs, no? You can use Pipelight to watch Netflix in SuperHD on Linux btw.

I use a usb drive bluray to stream rented discs from MakeMKV to xbmc. It works well, but that's a hack and not the same as running a real disc under something like Total Media Theater. Because of licensing and DRM garbage, I don't think there are any direct-play-from-disc options are available under Linux that give access to all the extra features and delightful "prohibited operations" and forced trailers that you get with a real, dedicated software player.

You sure about pipelight? The Netflix Metro app is HTML5 with DRM extensions. As far as I know, they haven't been hacked. Pipelight is silverlight, and silverlight cannot play superHD. I'd love to be wrong so I could dump windows.

@Selene

Steam in home streaming -- that could be awesome. I was imagining how low-res a game would have to be to achieve 4k/60fps on hd5000 graphics, but this opens new options.

Hey! Now you're into one of my questions! Will the hd5000 Graphics play 4k/50fps? Since the DP supports it it would be Nice if the NUC delivers also.
And does the Choice of OS limit the Graphics? I mean, With 16GB RAM and SSD, would it deliver 4K even in Windows 7?
(2014-03-27, 21:57)sickpuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Hey! Now you're into one of my questions! Will the hd5000 Graphics play 4k/50fps? Since the DP supports it it would be Nice if the NUC delivers also.
And does the Choice of OS limit the Graphics? I mean, With 16GB RAM and SSD, would it deliver 4K even in Windows 7?

I think 2160/50p (aka 4k at 50fps) playback may be codec dependent? AIUI you can VAAPI accelerate H264 AVC 4k content up to 120fps in Intel HD graphics in Ivy Bridge and Haswell (or so it is claimed?), but H265 HEVC content will be CPU decoded only AIUI, and I don't know if the I3 or i5 NUCs will be up to decoding 2160/50p HEVC in software?

AIUI HEVC support isn't in mainline XBMC yet (though some people have built experimental builds with FFMPEG builds that have HEVC support)? (HEVC is likely to be the main standard for 4K content AIUI)

There are some uncompressed 4K clips knocking around (the EBU and SVT host them) which can be encoded to H264 or H265 for testing.
I have a build on my laptop that does HEVC. I can't recall without being at home which ppa I got it from.

It does HEVC mutithreaded, but then again it is an i7 with 8G Ram.
Hi guys, im going t get a haswell i3 NUC soon and I need to get a display cable as I dont have anything with mini-HDMI or mini-DP currently. I will be connecting to an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver HDMI input, and that then connects into a 65" Panasonic VT60 plasma over HDMI... Obviously I want to get bitstreamed HD audio from my NUC to my onkyo, and 1080P signal through the onkyo into the TV. Is there any difference/preference between using the mini-DP vs mini-HDMI output?
I am happy with mini-HDMI. Since I had standard HDMI already installed behind the closed, I have chosen to buy only mini-HDMI -> HDMI adapter for a few bucks.
I dont have experience with DP, but I guess it would be needed for a 4K resolution which I dont use, otherwise I dont see that should be any difference between HDMI and DP.

This is just my humbel opinion and I could be wrong.
Well looks like the decision was made for me as the place I just picked up my 4010 nuc only had miniDP to hdmi dongle so that's what I grabbed
(2014-03-28, 00:15)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I have a build on my laptop that does HEVC. I can't recall without being at home which ppa I got it from.

It does HEVC mutithreaded, but then again it is an i7 with 8G Ram.

fernetmenta's master ppa does hevc quite well, multithreaded. Runs fine on my core i5 4200U and on my Celeron 1820T. Gotham + 1 food.
(2014-03-27, 21:57)sickpuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Hey! Now you're into one of my questions! Will the hd5000 Graphics play 4k/50fps? Since the DP supports it it would be Nice if the NUC delivers also.

Linux Kernel 3.14 will support 60Hz over the mini-DP port on the NUC, at least that is what I read. Whether it has the power to decode a 4k file, who knows.