Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Using Full RGB is way off.
Using Limited RGB is washed picture or like you would watch TV over cigarette smoke. But dark areas also does not have details which could be calibrated with contrast setting if there was any.
Yes, I have the exact same issue.

Panasonic VT-50 plasma (calibrated)
i3 Haswell NUC
OpenELEC 3.2.3

Full RGB is too dark. You need a dark movie (Zero Dark Thirty) and probably a calibrated TV to see this.
Limited RGB is a grayscale washout.

I'm frankly surprised everyone with a NUC isn't seeing this issue, but I suspect it's because most TVs are too bright from the factory and by setting OpenELEC to Full RGB (which is too dark) it all cancels out.

What are the options moving forward?

- Bug report?
- New Intel drivers?
- Fiddle with gamma/brightness?
- Wait for OpenELEC/XBMC to sort it out?
@Selene: If you have some other player, like any decent BlueRay or anything else like I have oldish XtreamerPro with Sigma Designs chipset for video decoding, do a frame compare and look the detail, like hairs.
You will see that on the good Picture you will see any single hair but on NUC there is some blurish look a like maybe hair.

I am too disapointed since I need a replacement for xtreamer which now already lacks some new codecs support (it is already about 6 years or so old).

Looks like there is still only NVidia way to go but NUC looks really a cutie....aaaaaah. Sad

I have some luck only because I have a failsafe as using NUC as a replacement for home desktop computer (also an old one), so buying it does not resolve as having another trash (expensive) in my home.

Anyway, I still will have some faith in Intel to do it right with the drivers, but deep down I really dont belive this will happen.
(2013-11-15, 00:03)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]@Selene: If you have some other player, like any decent BlueRay or anything else like I have oldish XtreamerPro with Sigma Designs chipset for video decoding, do a frame compare and look the detail, like hairs.
You will see that on the good Picture you will see any single hair but on NUC there is some blurish look a like maybe hair.
Have you checked your TV/monitor settings? I didn't see any blurring with the test patterns. Can you replicate this for example with the avshd709 section C?
(2013-11-14, 23:51)Alchete Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Using Full RGB is way off.
Using Limited RGB is washed picture or like you would watch TV over cigarette smoke. But dark areas also does not have details which could be calibrated with contrast setting if there was any.
Yes, I have the exact same issue.

Panasonic VT-50 plasma (calibrated)
i3 Haswell NUC
OpenELEC 3.2.3

Full RGB is too dark. You need a dark movie (Zero Dark Thirty) and probably a calibrated TV to see this.
Limited RGB is a grayscale washout.

I'm frankly surprised everyone with a NUC isn't seeing this issue, but I suspect it's because most TVs are too bright from the factory and by setting OpenELEC to Full RGB (which is too dark) it all cancels out.

What are the options moving forward?

- Bug report?
- New Intel drivers?
- Fiddle with gamma/brightness?
- Wait for OpenELEC/XBMC to sort it out?

I think some people havent seen good PQ yet, and other have bought NUC, see the problem, but choose not to admit it. Sad
Gamma doesnt resolve the situation, since gamma adjusts only the middle section of "color curve".
Bug report, new Intel drivers... dont believe in that... this is known for a long time now and I am sure Intel/drivers devs knows that.
I also believe OE can not solve this without decent drivers from Intel, and they are like locked out here.
I dont know what to do with XBMC, when I have like about 6 months ago tested this I had an brightness and contrast option in XBMC if I choose to software decode. Now I cant find this option even if I choose SW decode over a HW decode. This is why I went to i5 proc, since for HW decode a celeron edition is sufficient. But seems that now I have been locked out from using this settings in XBMC.
Gotham Build? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ings_go.3F

(2013-11-15, 00:13)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]Bug report, new Intel drivers... dont believe in that... this is known for a long time now and I am sure Intel/drivers devs knows that.

Why not try it; make a bug report, make a Thread in Intel Forums, email to Intel, Chat to Intel?
(2013-11-15, 00:09)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-15, 00:03)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]@Selene: If you have some other player, like any decent BlueRay or anything else like I have oldish XtreamerPro with Sigma Designs chipset for video decoding, do a frame compare and look the detail, like hairs.
Have you checked your TV/monitor settings? I didn't see any blurring with the test patterns. Can you replicate this for example with the avshd709 section C?

I dont need to check TV as I have already calibrated it long time ago and it works perfectly with any other video sources I have in house (settop box, xtreamer, blueray player) without making some custom settigns on those sources.

(2013-11-15, 00:16)-DDD- Wrote: [ -> ]Gotham Build? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ings_go.3F

(2013-11-15, 00:13)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]Bug report, new Intel drivers... dont believe in that... this is known for a long time now and I am sure Intel/drivers devs knows that.

Why not try it; make a bug report, make a Thread in Intel Forums, email to Intel, Chat to Intel?

I have done testing now on OE 3.2.3. Before, when I have tested it about 6/8 months ago on NUC i3 3rd gen, I was using OE ver 2 and something ( I dont remember).
Reporting to Intel? If I recall right OE dev guys (who knows how to do stuff right way) already have tried and they have better channels.
(2013-11-15, 00:19)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-15, 00:09)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]

I dont need to check TV as I have already calibrated it long time ago and it works perfectly with any other video sources I have in house (settop box, xtreamer, blueray player) without making some custom settigns on those sources.

(2013-11-15, 00:16)-DDD- Wrote: [ -> ]Gotham Build? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ings_go.3F

I have done testing now on OE 3.2.3. Before, when I have tested it about 6/8 months ago on NUC i3 3rd gen, I was using OE ver 2 and something ( I dont remember).
Reporting to Intel? If I recall right OE dev guys (who knows how to do stuff right way) already have tried and they have better channels.

Is there any reason to believe that Windows XBMC or other media player wouldn't have this issue?

I have the latest gotham nightly and it's still a problem there.
Quote:
Quote:Why not try it; make a bug report, make a Thread in Intel Forums, email to Intel, Chat to Intel?

So what you're saying is you'll moan about it here, but not do the things that might actually result in a fix. Well done. That's the open source spirit mate. Keep it up.
I think you guys have crappy TV's or crooked eyes, colors look fine here Smile Blacks should be black yo

(2013-11-14, 23:46)-DDD- Wrote: [ -> ]Opera Addon for OpenElec: http://openelec.tv/forum/90-miscellaneou...-flash-but

I'm Norwegian myself, but last time I thought Opera was a decent browser was when the only other alternative was Netscape.
(2013-11-15, 00:40)arokh Wrote: [ -> ]I think you guys have crappy TV's or crooked eyes, colors look fine here Smile Blacks should be black yo

(2013-11-14, 23:46)-DDD- Wrote: [ -> ]Opera Addon for OpenElec: http://openelec.tv/forum/90-miscellaneou...-flash-but

I'm Norwegian myself, but last time I thought Opera was a decent browser was when the only other alternative was Netscape.

Are you using any xandr fixes?

Also, https://www.dropbox.com/s/6wj0lpvq6ydg2x....28.10.jpg (off my nuc)

vs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1gxkyx8r18voa...8.27-2.jpg

not the same frame obviously but you can see the difference in the blacks
(2013-11-15, 00:36)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]So what you're saying is you'll moan about it here, but not do the things that might actually result in a fix. Well done. That's the open source spirit mate. Keep it up.
^^^ I was just going to say this.

Nothing will get done without a proper bug report. And, the more voices the better. I'll file a report.

Is Intel the right place to start? If someone has filed bug reports with them before or has knows where specifically to file these reports please post.
Whoever develops the driver? Not sure if that is intel or freedesktop.org
(2013-11-15, 01:47)Alchete Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing will get done without a proper bug report. And, the more voices the better. I'll file a report.

Is Intel the right place to start? If someone has filed bug reports with them before or has knows where specifically to file these reports please post.
I think the intel-gfx mailing list or freedesktop.org bugzilla would be the best. You'll find the Intel linux gfx engineers there.

I'm not sure if there is yet enough information to file a good bug report. My thinking is to come up with a simple case of "download image A, set hdmi output level X, set monitor input level Y, observe error Z in the test pattern".

I'm starting with the raw YCbCr patterns from w6rz.net converted to RGB using the tool on the same site. These should be pretty reliable and easily duplicated/inspected.
Glad and sad to know I'm not the only one having issues with my new toy (XBMCbuntu - Core i3 Haswell, 8GB, 30GB mSATA, Intel 6235AN). I got this today to replace my Boxee Box and after a few hours I am sad.

Thank you for the mod probe refresh fix on the CIR. I was guessing it was a resource conflict. Then I read the lame response from Intel that you got. I ended up having to stick the script in /etc/init.d/xbmc after rcS.d, rc.local, /etc/xbmc/live.d and /etc/xbmc/setup.d all failed.

Is anyone else using the Intel 6235AN? I'm getting what I think is bad wifi reception or poor performance. Larger MKVs take 30s or more to load on a wireless N network about 6 feet from the WAP. Seeking is terrible. Some movies flat-out refuse to play.

Is anyone else getting crackling audio? I'm running audio over HDMI and have disabled every codec but am getting lots of (RROR: CAESinkALSA::HandleError(snd_pcm_wait) - under run) just cycling through the menus (not during playback). Sometimes audio playback doesn't happen at all.

Lastly, I've gotten kernel panics and outright crashes 4-5 times over the past few hours.

Wondering if a fresh install of Ubuntu and then installing XBMC will do me any good, or maybe a reinstall altogether.
I'm beginning to seriously consider a windows install.