Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-04-02, 03:39)squareatom Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I have a D54250WYK1 with 3/3/2014 BIOS update. I'm trying to install Ubuntu minimal 13.10 but i'm having an issue when the install reaches the DHCP config. The installer is unable to configure the NIC. Manually inputting the network settings also does not work. Problem seems to be the e1000e driver that's loaded. I've seen reports of full desktop ISO working. Is anyone else having this problem and is there a fix/workaround? If not i might try and remaster the mini.iso to include the driver from the the full desktop ISO.

Still haven't had any luck with this. Anyone able to get the mini/server iso installed?
(2014-04-05, 17:07)squareatom Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-02, 03:39)squareatom Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I have a D54250WYK1 with 3/3/2014 BIOS update. I'm trying to install Ubuntu minimal 13.10 but i'm having an issue when the install reaches the DHCP config. The installer is unable to configure the NIC. Manually inputting the network settings also does not work. Problem seems to be the e1000e driver that's loaded. I've seen reports of full desktop ISO working. Is anyone else having this problem and is there a fix/workaround? If not i might try and remaster the mini.iso to include the driver from the the full desktop ISO.

Still haven't had any luck with this. Anyone able to get the mini/server iso installed?

Yes I have installed Ubuntu 13.10 server without any problems on a i3, though. Only tricky part was that I had to boot from the usb stick as "UEFI".
(2014-04-05, 17:32)Jorgensen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-05, 17:07)squareatom Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes I have installed Ubuntu 13.10 server without any problems on a i3, though. Only tricky part was that I had to boot from the usb stick as "UEFI".

Care to explain further? I've experience several issues and tried so many different combinations of ISOs. 32/64 bit, BIOS/UEFI. I'm almost at the point of returning the NUC.
(2014-04-05, 17:39)squareatom Wrote: [ -> ]Care to explain further? I've experience several issues and tried so many different combinations of ISOs. 32/64 bit, BIOS/UEFI. I'm almost at the point of returning the NUC.

(1) Downloaded .iso file (13.10) from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server/th...ase=latest
(2) Created bootable USB stick with UNetbootin and the .iso file from (1)
(3) Updated bios to FW24. (I haven't tried with the latest bios)
(4) Plug in the USB stick, power on the NUC and hit F2 for boot menu.
(5) Now you should see TWO USB stick entries in the boot menu. Choose the one which says "UEFI"
(6) Follow installation instructions.

NOTE: If I skipped step (5) I was still able to finish the ubuntu installation, but it was not possible to boot afterwards.

Hope you succeed! I am very happy with the setup.
(2014-04-05, 18:07)Jorgensen Wrote: [ -> ](1) Downloaded .iso file (13.10) from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server/th...ase=latest
(5) Now you should see TWO USB stick entries in the boot menu. Choose the one which says "UEFI"

NOTE: If I skipped step (5) I was still able to finish the ubuntu installation, but it was not possible to boot afterwards.

Ok thanks. Going to try now. Are you using wifi or ethernet? Ethernet appears to be broken with mini/server ISOs. As a workaround I'm using wifi module from my laptop.
Sorry, moved to correct thread
(2014-04-05, 18:11)squareatom Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-05, 18:07)Jorgensen Wrote: [ -> ](1) Downloaded .iso file (13.10) from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server/th...ase=latest

Ok thanks. Going to try now. Are you using wifi or ethernet? Ethernet appears to be broken with mini/server ISOs. As a workaround I'm using wifi module from my laptop.

I was using ethernet .
So I installed my D54250WYK, updated BIOS, installed Win7, updated Win7, got XBMC up and running and tuned it to fit my use.
I did all this while the NUC was connected directly to the TV's HDMI-port(with a miniDP to HDMI-cable).
This evening, my girfriends birthday and I was planning on watching a movie on the NUC with the wife to be, so I connected the NUC to the Receiver, the same port as my previous HTPC was connected to, and when I turned the system ON it was all black.. No signal the screen said..
WTF was my first thought, so I disconnected the NUC from the receiver and connected it directly to the TV again, but still nothing..
The power-button remains blue after turning it on, but the NUC never sends a tiny bit to the TV, it sais "No signal".

So this evening I've seen a movie with the lady on my old HTPC while I've had horns growing on my forehead.. WHY IS IT ALL BLACK!!!??
Could it be that the NUC just forgot how to send signals out to the miniDP-port? I dont have a miniHDMI to HDMI-cable, so I cant check that out, so I will try to get my hands on one of those on monday.. But still it is saturday night here, I WANT THE NUC TO WORK, NOW!! :/ (sorry for the capitals..)

Anyone experienced the same thing? Any ideas about what has gone wrong and how to get it right?

BTW: When I shut down the NUC before disconnecting it from the TV and connecting it to the receiver there was a windows update-shutdown, but I dont think that would have any effekt on how/where the NUC sends its signals..? And remember, it doesnt even send the BIOS-text or nothing, it sais only NO SIGNAL on the screen..

So please guys, help the norwegian dumbass out here..
(2014-04-05, 19:08)Jorgensen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-05, 18:11)squareatom Wrote: [ -> ]

I was using ethernet .

Finally got Ubuntu installed! So the mini.iso will not work with UEFI and the NIC hangs when booted in BIOS. x64 Server ISO and UEFI is the way to go. Also my USB3 flash drive didn't want to work. Installer kept saying it couldn't mount CD. Anyway going to continue with the minimal install. Thanks for the help. This NUC is very picky so hopefully everything else goes smoothly.
(2014-04-05, 23:22)sickpuppy Wrote: [ -> ]So I installed my D54250WYK, updated BIOS, installed Win7, updated Win7, got XBMC up and running and tuned it to fit my use.
I did all this while the NUC was connected directly to the TV's HDMI-port(with a miniDP to HDMI-cable).
This evening, my girfriends birthday and I was planning on watching a movie on the NUC with the wife to be, so I connected the NUC to the Receiver, the same port as my previous HTPC was connected to, and when I turned the system ON it was all black.. No signal the screen said..
WTF was my first thought, so I disconnected the NUC from the receiver and connected it directly to the TV again, but still nothing..
The power-button remains blue after turning it on, but the NUC never sends a tiny bit to the TV, it sais "No signal".

So this evening I've seen a movie with the lady on my old HTPC while I've had horns growing on my forehead.. WHY IS IT ALL BLACK!!!??
Could it be that the NUC just forgot how to send signals out to the miniDP-port? I dont have a miniHDMI to HDMI-cable, so I cant check that out, so I will try to get my hands on one of those on monday.. But still it is saturday night here, I WANT THE NUC TO WORK, NOW!! :/ (sorry for the capitals..)

Anyone experienced the same thing? Any ideas about what has gone wrong and how to get it right?

BTW: When I shut down the NUC before disconnecting it from the TV and connecting it to the receiver there was a windows update-shutdown, but I dont think that would have any effekt on how/where the NUC sends its signals..? And remember, it doesnt even send the BIOS-text or nothing, it sais only NO SIGNAL on the screen..

So please guys, help the norwegian dumbass out here..

Now I have even tried with a miniHDMI - HDMI cable, still no picture..

Noone out there who has tips? I just cant figure this one out..

Edit: I have restored the bios, during this I obviously got signals from the nuc to the screen.
But when I replug the microSSD the screen turns black again.

Now I'm making a bootable USB to reinstall the win7 from and see if that works.
Do you think there would be any difference if I restored the BIOS with an older version?
Try to connect directly to TV... do you get the picture?
I did that, everything I tried after getting the black screen from the receiver was tried while directly connected to the TV.

Update: After reinstalling the BIOS 3 times, I now got only one of the RAM installed(dont know if that got anything to do with my problems, but I decided to put in one piece at a time while trying out this), I finally got to install the Win7, and now I'm connected to the receiver and still have picture!
But now I'm running win update and got every bodyparts that can be crossed, crossed to prevent this from going back south..
Wish me luck with this, I got a bad feeling about it and is afraid that it will f**k things up again..
(2014-04-05, 14:34)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-04, 17:56)focke_oeuf Wrote: [ -> ]Also I have another question about audio playback.
I have my NUC plugged onto an AVR receiver, which decodes all HD audio codecs for videos.
It won't decode "all HD audio codecs" - it will just decode the mainstream consumer HD audio codecs (DTS HD Master Audio and High Resolution and Dolby True HD) along with the legacy DVD-quality audio codecs (Dolby Digital and DTS) (There are also a few other variants that are less widespread like Dolby Digital Plus and some of the Dolby/DTS enhancements like DTS ES which are also likely to be decoded) (A few amps may also support some flavours of Windows Media Audio I believe?)

However there are other codecs using the computer (and broadcasting) world that are not usually (if at all) decoded by consumer amps - such as AAC, FLAC, OggVorbis etc.

Quote:When it does this, I can see that it decodes an HD audio stream by a little logo appearing.
Yes - because your amp can decode bitstreamed Dolby True HD an DTS HD MA/HR it signals that fact.

Quote:When I play FLAC audio files, the AVR does not seem to change anything, and thus I'm wondering how the NUC is sending the audio stream to the receiver (which seems not to see any HD audio stream but a "normal" one).

FLAC (and AAC) will be decoded to PCM (in some cases PCM multichannel - which can be carried via HDMI and is supported by the Intel GPU audio device) and fed over HDMI in PCM. As XBMC will default to PCM output when not playing a bitstream track, then your Amp won't know that it is being fed anything different unless the FLAC is multichannel and/or a different bit depth or sampling rate and so won't display any changes.

However - your amp itself is doing the same process when fed DTS HD or Dolby True HD - it will be decoding to PCM (multichannel in many cases) within the amp - all that XBMC is doing with FLAC is doing the PCM decode itself as the amp can't.

Quote:I chose the i3 instead of the Bay Trail in part because of the HD audio chip, but now I'm wondering if it is usefull only for video playback...

AIUI the Haswell and Bay Trail NUCs have the same functionality in HDMI audio terms - but there are Windows driver issues at the moment with the Bay Trail and HDMI bit streaming of HD audio (though OpenElec and Linux distros are fine)

Not sure what the HD audio chip you refer to is - could it be the analogue audio functionality (or SPDIF coax/Toslink optical output)? The HDMI audio is handled by the CPU+GPU integrated chip AIUI.

(Most modern PCs have two audio devices. The HDMI Audio for bit streaming "HD Audio" and the "HD Audio" chipset for handling analogue and optical/coax SPDIF audio output - and they are two unrelated and independent sections of the PC.)

Quote:Is it normal or am I missing something?

It's normal. Your Amp can't play FLAC natively, so XBMC will losslessly decode (no quality loss) to PCM rather than your amp doing it.

(** PCM is the standard, uncompressed audio format carried over HDMI. You can think of it a bit like WAV. There is no compression at all. FLAC, DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD are all losslessly compressed formats, where the original PCM audio is carried with lossless compression. Think of it like a WAV file that has been put into a ZIP archive. Consumer AVR Amps can decode DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD to PCM internally - so you can send these signals bitstreamed over HDMI. Consumer AVR amps can't decode FLAC so XBMC has to do the PCM decode. All that is happening is that the decoding is taking place in a different point in the chain)

Wow this is one of the clearest explanation ever!
Thanks a lot I understand that although my AVR doesn't mention anything, it truly receives high quality audio when XBMC decodes FLAC audio files.

To elaborate on the NUC audio chip, if you go to the Intel website, the i3 Haswell and the DN2828 Bay trail don't have the same statement under the audio capabilities. On one of the many forums talking about the NUC as HTPC, someone stated the i3 had a better handling of HD audio streams.
Maybe in my case this wouldn't have made any difference (having an AVR handling audio after the NUC), but this was one of my decision maker.
I have just assembled a D54250WYK with 4gb Kingston ram and a 60 gb msata hd. I decided to go for the i5 in case I later wanted to run Windows but for now just XBMCbuntu. I have installed XBMCbuntu 12.2 Intel-Nvidia. Everything seams to work OK until I try to play a movie and then the video stutters and there is no sound. The only way to get the sound back is to reboot and restart my amp. I also have an issue with the lack of remote, I have tried a Cyberlink MCE compatible remote but get no response to any button pushes.
(2013-10-28, 12:32)joelbaby Wrote: [ -> ]For the NUC you only need D34010WYK.

There are cheap mSata SSDs which are slow, just like there are cheap USB sticks which are slow.
You can buy faster USB sticks (e.g. Sandisk Extreme), and standard mSATA SSDs - and then the price becomes about the same.

If you are concerned about cost of mSATA SSD (about $40 for 32Gb), then you could just get an old USB stick and see how OpenElec works for you.
Even before you buy the NUC, just put OpenElec on a 4Gb or 8Gb stick and see how you go on your PC. Then you will see the speed for yourself.

Hi was just woundering what version of openelec ill have to download to try it on my laptop before i look into building my own system.. i have a laptop windows 7 64 bit?

Thanks for any help