Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-04-10, 10:21)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Let's assume your video and audio are not perfectly in sync, cause of minimal differences in video clock, cause of latencies in the video material itself - we think of only 3 seconds are wrong within 90 minutes.

3 seconds are 3000 ms - so audio and video will slowly diverge over time.

In passthrough case, we only can drop or dupe, which means we can add an additional 32 ms package or we remove one 32 ms package - that will do "ckrrrrrch" or "click". That will happen perhaps 10 times during that playback time, let's assume 5 times add (you don't hear) and five times drop. So 5 clicks during the movie.

Now with resample, there are ten occasions of 32 ms time, where audio is "shortly resampled" - you won't even realize that :-) I am sure.

Before I forget: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html :-)

Interesting...

I have shortcuts on my Harmony remote to adjust the audio sync, which I have to do VERY rarely anyway. I haven't noticed (yet) any audio "drifting" out of sync...

If I turn passthrough OFF, and watch a movie in TrueHD or DTS HD, I still get those formats, but decoded internally by the Intel NUC and then -> sent to the receiver as PCM? Is that right? It's the same thing, really?

If I have passthrough OFF and audio resampling ON, how exactly does the resampling work? Does it send "pure" PCM 99.9% of the time, or is the whole audio format resampled the entire time? I'm confused about these settings...

I notice ANY clicks/pops in audio, and any frame-drops, so I'm trying to get the "cleanest" setup possible...

Thanks!

*edit*

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/Videos

This seems to imply that there is a loss in audio quality with resample audio. It doesn't really go into much detail about how it works. I would have thought the audio was constantly being resampled, but I have no idea how it works...

"Resampling has the advantage that the speed of the video can be changed considerably, so 24 fps can be sped up to 25 fps to play at PAL speed."

I don't want to do that, though!

Ahhh, so confused....

My Intel NUC can do 23.976hz perfectly, and it can bitstream any audio format. I *feel* like the best settings are just these ones:

Adjust display refresh rate to match video - ON
Passthrough - ON

The end. Done. Right? Smile
There is no decoding of DTS-HD happening, just the core is decoded, as there is no DTS-HD-MA decoder in the free world. And I am not talking about a global delay. No resampling the whole time.

If you want to know 100% exactly, check that: 6f5642ed7edabb3c71e8e9249fa0fd910 and see what happens and how it is done.

So now, the important thing: The limit is your ears - choose what you like. If you don't hear it, don't care. Or I will sell you one of these: http://gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile-dea...oat-hanger (inca read), german only: http://www.heise.de/tr/artikel/Verriss-d...88820.html

One important thing to add: What about sever video stutter? That's no issue (just in case - you would use Audio Clock)?
(2014-04-10, 10:54)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]There is no decoding of DTS-HD happening, just the core is decoded, as there is no DTS-HD-MA decoder in the free world. And I am not talking about a global delay. No resampling the whole time.

If you want to know 100% exactly, check that: 6f5642ed7edabb3c71e8e9249fa0fd910 and see what happens and how it is done.

So now, the important thing: The limit is your ears - choose what you like. If you don't hear it, don't care. Or I will sell you one of these: http://gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile-dea...oat-hanger (inca read), german only: http://www.heise.de/tr/artikel/Verriss-d...88820.html

One important thing to add: What about sever video stutter? That's no issue (just in case - you would use Audio Clock)?

So you HAVE to bitstream to get HD audio? Is that what I understand? If you let XBMC decode, then you only get the core track?

And I bet I couldn't tell the difference between a coat hanger and an (overpriced) Monster cable.

So re sampling the audio isn't a big deal, but can you re sample audio at the same time as bitstreaming?
In this midst of this audio conversation, I'd like to take a second to publicly thank fritsch for all his hard work making Gotham / OE great on the Intel NUC. My "ideal" xbmc scenario has been finally realized now thanks in large part to your effort -- I've watched a ton of content lately on the Gotham betas on the NUC -- everything from TV episodes, to ripped DVDs and Blu-Rays, and for the first time since I started playing with xbmc many years ago, everything plays spectacularly well. Beautiful video, perfect 23.96 playback (and 25hz, etc). Perfect lipsync. Bitstreamed HD Audio that works every time. And it is all crazy, crazy stable.

I really appreciate your passion for this hobby, and your work (as well as the work of everyone else on the project and the others providing support in this community) has enriched me and my families lives.

So, THANKS!
Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying i3 or i5 eddition.

My plan is to run Win8 and VirutalBox inside with Ubuntu distro for home server (www/sftp etc).
I will be using Win8 as Media Center with XMBC (for netflix etc) and WMC for TV while having VB running in the background.

No gaming is planed on the box.

Because it will have combined purpose I am exluding Celeron dude to computing power and I am in i3/i5 range.

Now I want this box also to be silent so I think I5 with it's higher TDP may produce more heat and be more buzzy then i3.. but will i3 be enough for my purpose ?

is i3 more quite then i5 ?
what remote controler you suggest for this to navigate thru XMBC and Windows 8 start pannel painless
If I get a harmony remote what do I need to make it work on windows 8? Will I need to install software? Or is it just part of the win8 drivers that are installed. Also with the harmony software to program it so I just search Intel NUC, or search by specific model number for the Haswell i5?
(2014-04-10, 20:09)macmus Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

My plan is to run Win8 and VirutalBox inside with Ubuntu distro for home server (www/sftp etc).
I will be using Win8 as Media Center with XMBC (for netflix etc) and WMC for TV while having VB running in the background.

Because it will have combined purpose I am exluding Celeron dude to computing power and I am in i3/i5 range.
I want this box also to be silent so I think I5 with it's higher TDP may produce more heat and be more buzzy then i3.. but will i3 be enough for my purpose ?

It sounds like you want to do quite a bit with this thing, I would probably go for the i5. Although actually if noise etc is a concern then why not have a server PC located elsewhere, to hose your virtual box and any other backend duties, then just have a simple frontend client for XBMC, a Celeron 2820 NUC would do, or an i3 4010 if you really wanted...

Also if you are planning on running WMC, you can use ServerWMC backend, to feed the TV/recordings to multiple frontend XBMC PVR clients. Works for everything except copy protected channels. Check it out in the PVR forums
i'm planning to buy homerun and stream to NUC XMBC.
As far i have read i should be able to stream everything except HBO.
For HBO I would need to install WMC and add homerun from that or i need some other solution?
If homerun stream in upnp what is the diffence if i fetch it on xmbc or wmc?
Is there some information coming in upnp data that forbids to play it on xmbc ?

(2014-04-11, 03:01)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-10, 20:09)macmus Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

I want this box also to be silent so I think I5 with it's higher TDP may produce more heat and be more buzzy then i3.. but will i3 be enough for my purpose ?

It sounds like you want to do quite a bit with this thing, I would probably go for the i5. Although actually if noise etc is a concern then why not have a server PC located elsewhere, to hose your virtual box and any other backend duties, then just have a simple frontend client for XBMC, a Celeron 2820 NUC would do, or an i3 4010 if you really wanted...

Also if you are planning on running WMC, you can use ServerWMC backend, to feed the TV/recordings to multiple frontend XBMC PVR clients. Works for everything except copy protected channels. Check it out in the PVR forums

i dont want to have any htpc or any running PC at my homeas for now. I need some energy efficent solution.
NUC will have to play a role of all in one solution til i by my htpc and move to diffrent place.
(2014-04-11, 03:01)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]Also if you are planning on running WMC, you can use ServerWMC backend, to feed the TV/recordings to multiple frontend XBMC PVR clients. Works for everything except copy protected channels. Check it out in the PVR forums
will this serverWMC and PVR work also with HBO?
Is HBO flagged as CopyOnce? If so then No it wont work. ServerWMC streams the data from WMC recordings (even for live viewing) so if you are not able to watch a recording of that channel on another PC (due to DRM etc) then you cant use ServerWMC to distribute it
Hello,

I have i3 version, want to know what deinterlace / video scaling method do you recommand for best quality.
I watch 720p series and 1080p movies on a 42" LCD.

I saw this post http://www.avsforum.com/t/1457107/dxva2-...t_22942407
This recommandations are still useful ?
Is it really better to use mpc-hc + madvr ?

Thanks.
You don't have to Deinterlace an 720p File, only 1080i and LiveTV with 576i and 1080i.
Hi all,

I've been following this thread since it got started and I joined the forum/got a NUC (D54250WYK) today Smile I'm really happy about it, everything works great (remote and everything) I just have a few questions.

To get 23,976 / 24p working correctly - are these settings recommended? @fritsch - I know you're probably sighing right now but the different advices given in the thread are for different versions of OpenElec and it's rather hard to follow which one to use for the latest beta.

My TV/amp supports 24p. I don't really care about DTS-HD or passthrough.
Code:
Video settings - playback
"Adjust display refresh to match video": on start/stop
"Pause during display refresh": off
"Sync playback to display": on
"A/V sync method": video clock (resample audio)

Code:
System settings - video output

vertical blank sync: let driver choose
limited color range 16-235: off

Code:
system settings - audio output

enable passthrough: off

last but not least:

Do we need to set <delay>175</delay> to 0, in advancedsettings.xml, in the latest beta?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
(2014-04-11, 20:50)MstrP Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

I've been following this thread since it got started and I joined the forum/got a NUC (D54250WYK) today Smile I'm really happy about it, everything works great (remote and everything) I just have a few questions.

To get 23,976 / 24p working correctly - are these settings recommended? @fritsch - I know you're probably sighing right now but the different advices given in the thread are for different versions of OpenElec and it's rather hard to follow which one to use for the latest beta.

My TV/amp supports 24p. I don't really care about DTS-HD or passthrough.
Code:
Video settings - playback
"Adjust display refresh to match video": on start/stop
"Pause during display refresh": off
"Sync playback to display": on
"A/V sync method": video clock (resample audio)

Code:
System settings - video output

vertical blank sync: let driver choose
limited color range 16-235: off

Code:
system settings - audio output

enable passthrough: off

last but not least:

Do we need to set <delay>175</delay> to 0, in advancedsettings.xml, in the latest beta?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

For me, with last Gotham, only checked adjust display to match video. And disabled 175ms in advanced settings. But using dts dtshd and Dolby 5.1 passtrough

Perfect smooth display and lip sync