Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Newbie here, so excuse me for my noob question.

Just got my new NUC today and running OE from a USB stick. So far I have face two issues.
1. I notice that part of the screen is out of display. I tried to change the resolution, display mode (which I can't, it only says full screen mode and have no other option), and even the display mode of the tv. Is there a way to fix it?

2. Remote does not work at all, not even able to turn on/off the machine. Mine is the black xbox remote, so supposedly it will work out of the box according to previous posters. I look at bios and make sure "enhanced consumer IR" is checked. I understand that it may not work in OE because of driver issues, but I should be able to at least turn on/off the nuc with the remote right? Do I need to set something on my remote first? For the ones who said it will work out of the box, which key do u press? The TV power button? (and funny enough, I press the xbox power button and it turns on my xbox instead)

I am still waiting for my ssd to come, so I may just do a window build later on. Do you think windows will somehow display correctly or have configurations to adjust the display size? And once I install the Intel CIR driver the remote issue should be resolved?

Again, sorry for being such a noob. I am new to the whole htpc world.
Regarding the display overscan, what model TV do you have and how are you connected to it (eg through a receiver or direct to TV, using displayport or HDMI, etc). Hopefully your TV has a 1:1 pixel mapping mode, sometimes it's called "Just Scan" and also sometimes is only available on a particular HDMI input. Need to check the manual. Failing that there are sometimes things you can do on windows or linux to try and set custom resolutions that account for your TV's overscan but hopefully it's just a matter of putting your TV in the right mode so you dont have to deal with that pain

No input on the remote sorry, since these things dont seem to be available here in Oz as yet! Sad
I have the same Problem with the Color Space, without the Autostart Script set to Full-RGB i just
get grey instead of black.....going to Full RGB does help...but more then needed, there really get many details lost
cuz of the BLACK in Comparison to my other Devices...:/

I guess that this really occurs at many ppl but most of them arenĀ“t used to calibrated displays anyway so they wont recognize it..
may be switching back to Limited and try using my TV/Beamer/AVR Settings to get the Image straight..Full RGB wont be good to start of
cuz blacked out details wont come back..
(2013-11-15, 02:50)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]I think the intel-gfx mailing list or freedesktop.org bugzilla would be the best. You'll find the Intel linux gfx engineers there.

I'm not sure if there is yet enough information to file a good bug report. My thinking is to come up with a simple case of "download image A, set hdmi output level X, set monitor input level Y, observe error Z in the test pattern".

I'm starting with the raw YCbCr patterns from w6rz.net converted to RGB using the tool on the same site. These should be pretty reliable and easily duplicated/inspected.
lmyllari, thank you. You're doing more scientific testing than I am.

I think it's best to wait for more details and a reproducible test case. If you'd like to file the bug report, please do. If you'd rather not, I'll take your information and try my best on the mailing list and bugzilla.

Cheers
Using full range video output from Ubuntu, monitor set to limited range RGB and playing video with mplayer2, everything seems to be in order. Levels are correct, BtB and WtW are there, no banding in greyscale ramp. No oddities in resolution tests either, although I haven't looked for chroma issues yet. I also checked static RGB images with same results.

My command line:
~/src/mplayer2-build/mplayer/mplayer --colormatrix-output-range=limited -vo gl -fs

I will next try the VA-API enabled mplayer (if I can make it build) to verify that hw decoding works properly. Maybe the issues are with XBMC YUV-RGB converter.
(2013-11-15, 00:16)-DDD- Wrote: [ -> ]Gotham Build? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ings_go.3F

(2013-11-15, 00:13)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]Bug report, new Intel drivers... dont believe in that... this is known for a long time now and I am sure Intel/drivers devs knows that.

Why not try it; make a bug report, make a Thread in Intel Forums, email to Intel, Chat to Intel?

(2013-11-15, 00:36)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:
Quote:Why not try it; make a bug report, make a Thread in Intel Forums, email to Intel, Chat to Intel?

I have done testing now on OE 3.2.3. Before, when I have tested it about 6/8 months ago on NUC i3 3rd gen, I was using OE ver 2 and something ( I dont remember).
Reporting to Intel? If I recall right OE dev guys (who knows how to do stuff right way) already have tried and they have better channels.
So what you're saying is you'll moan about it here, but not do the things that might actually result in a fix. Well done. That's the open source spirit mate. Keep it up.

(2013-11-15, 01:47)Alchete Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-15, 00:36)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]So what you're saying is you'll moan about it here, but not do the things that might actually result in a fix. Well done. That's the open source spirit mate. Keep it up.
^^^ I was just going to say this.

Nothing will get done without a proper bug report. And, the more voices the better. I'll file a report.

Is Intel the right place to start? If someone has filed bug reports with them before or has knows where specifically to file these reports please post.

Well, story is longer than a few lines and also I dont need to make an excuses here, but will explan now and will try to shorten this as possible:

About half a year ago I have got i3 3rd gen nuc for testing for a few weeks with all intentions to buy it after and keep it for a HTPC purposes and to replace my oldish XtreamerPro.
The conclusions were unfortunatelly the same as it is now with 4th gen, but there was workaround to do all decoding stuff with using software decoding where brightness and contrast was set to about 55%.
I havent noticed then the blurish picture, since all my focus was to the "color range" problem and I was running out of time owning NUC.

I did everything I knew and I could to write about this problem here, on the openelec forum and when the problem was pinpointed to Intel drivers, a had also inform Intel about.
Almost all of this was, more than less, ignored.

I had spend few weeks of my time with testing and to make everything suggested, even found some sollutions and workaroud (did also wrote about that back then).
And dont forget, I just want to be a consumer here and believe me if I will use openelec or xmbc I will donate to openelec and xbmc.

See also: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1427497

After returning NUC, I couldnt do nothing more.

Also, somewhere on this thread I have wrote that I am willing to do all test you can remember for you, now when I have the new NUC here.

So, please, dont a give me some "open source spirit" accusations bullish as I did whatever was in my "power" and knowledge.
I suggest you to spend a money to buy a NUC, do a testing, make yourself "open source spirit" and join to what I have already done to make this problem resolved. Wink

(2013-11-15, 09:39)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]Using full range video output from Ubuntu, monitor set to limited range RGB and playing video with mplayer2, everything seems to be in order. Levels are correct, BtB and WtW are there, no banding in greyscale ramp. No oddities in resolution tests either, although I haven't looked for chroma issues yet. I also checked static RGB images with same results.

My command line:
~/src/mplayer2-build/mplayer/mplayer --colormatrix-output-range=limited -vo gl -fs

I will next try the VA-API enabled mplayer (if I can make it build) to verify that hw decoding works properly. Maybe the issues are with XBMC YUV-RGB converter.

See: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1418235
Quote: XBMCbuntu has brightness and contrast because it does software decoding.

(2013-11-15, 00:35)Selene Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-15, 00:19)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-15, 00:09)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]Have you checked your TV/monitor settings? I didn't see any blurring with the test patterns. Can you replicate this for example with the avshd709 section C?

I dont need to check TV as I have already calibrated it long time ago and it works perfectly with any other video sources I have in house (settop box, xtreamer, blueray player) without making some custom settigns on those sources.

(2013-11-15, 00:16)-DDD- Wrote: [ -> ]Gotham Build? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ings_go.3F

Why not try it; make a bug report, make a Thread in Intel Forums, email to Intel, Chat to Intel?

I have done testing now on OE 3.2.3. Before, when I have tested it about 6/8 months ago on NUC i3 3rd gen, I was using OE ver 2 and something ( I dont remember).
Reporting to Intel? If I recall right OE dev guys (who knows how to do stuff right way) already have tried and they have better channels.

Is there any reason to believe that Windows XBMC or other media player wouldn't have this issue?

I have the latest gotham nightly and it's still a problem there.

Yes, but dont know for sure before testing. In a week or so I expect to get SSD to make a Windows environment, for now I work with USB live stick (obviously OE). Wink

For more info see: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1427497
I just cant find brightness and contract options in OE 3.2.3 when I choose software decoding.
Does anyone knows where I can find "archive" of previous versions to download?
I am looking particulary for OE 3.0.2 to try this.
Thanx gamble
NP, hope you can find a Solution, we share (and care about) the same problem Smile
Assuming this isn't getting fixed in a hurry, what's a good NUC alternative that has discrete gfx?
(2013-11-15, 07:20)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding the display overscan, what model TV do you have and how are you connected to it (eg through a receiver or direct to TV, using displayport or HDMI, etc). Hopefully your TV has a 1:1 pixel mapping mode, sometimes it's called "Just Scan" and also sometimes is only available on a particular HDMI input. Need to check the manual. Failing that there are sometimes things you can do on windows or linux to try and set custom resolutions that account for your TV's overscan but hopefully it's just a matter of putting your TV in the right mode so you dont have to deal with that pain

No input on the remote sorry, since these things dont seem to be available here in Oz as yet! Sad

So that's what it is called, overscan. My TV is a Panasonic ST50, and I am connecting it directly with HDMI port. I will look into it more today and hopefully find a setting to fix it.
Thanks for the reply! Hopefully someone can shed some light on the remote issue too!
(2013-11-15, 15:24)chineseboy123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-15, 07:20)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding the display overscan, what model TV do you have and how are you connected to it (eg through a receiver or direct to TV, using displayport or HDMI, etc). Hopefully your TV has a 1:1 pixel mapping mode, sometimes it's called "Just Scan" and also sometimes is only available on a particular HDMI input. Need to check the manual. Failing that there are sometimes things you can do on windows or linux to try and set custom resolutions that account for your TV's overscan but hopefully it's just a matter of putting your TV in the right mode so you dont have to deal with that pain

So that's what it is called, overscan. My TV is a Panasonic ST50, and I am connecting it directly with HDMI port. I will look into it more today and hopefully find a setting to fix it.
Thanks for the reply! Hopefully someone can shed some light on the remote issue too!

See the paragraph:
Also in the Picture Menu there are the Advanced Settings where you will find the 16:9 Overscan. It is important to ensure that the 16:9 Overscan function is set to Off and the Aspect Ratio is set to 16:9 for high quality HD sources, otherwise the display will scale high definition content which will reduce the resolution of the material you are watching.

Source: http://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic...review.296
If you're not opposed to running windows... it just... works, I thought I'd report.
I got my i3 NUC yesterday and installed Linux Mint 15 and XBMC on it. When playing movies I noticed that the blacks are a bit more gray than they usually are. I've read the last few pages in this thread and I understand that I'm not the only one with this problem but I don't understand what's causing it. Is there something wrong with the hardware or is it the combination of hardware and Linux?