Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-05-22, 09:01)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]You can try with OpenELEC. If this also does works - you could overwrite the ELD information in windows. If you already use OpenELEC - no idea.

I trust OE more - cause I know the guy that writes the Linux Audio drivers in person :-)
Yeah I always thought you must have inside alsa knowledge, the documentation is pretty hard to fathom to us non C programmers LOL.
I "know the guy" does not mean - I understand his code - just to be clear here :-)
(2014-05-22, 08:45)Thalatta Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone having EDID/HDMI handshake issues with their NUC and receiver? I just purchased a D34010WYK which I am trying to connect via my HK AVR 1700 receiver, but I can't get it to work consistently. Works fine when plugged directly into my tv however. I've heard that little device made by Gefen called the HDMI Detective Plus can fix this, but I'd like to avoid spending another $100 if I can...

Everything worked fine with my Acer REvo that that NUC is replacing, so I'm pretty stumped.

Thanks!

I have a possible EDID problem with my celeron NUC in so much as when it is left on but receiver/TV are turned off, I get a resolution change and XBMC sometimes ends up weird after everything comes back on again. On my i3 NUC I cant say as it is in a bedroom with no receiver. But as fritsch mentioned, you can do in software what that Gefen thing does in hardware, ie present a specific EDID to your NUC at all times, rather than it dynamically changing. There is a tool called Monitor Asset Manager that lets you show the EDID being presented by your components (in theory even modify it if you need) then save that to a INF file (driver) that you can update the "generic monitor" device to use. In this way windows will only ever see the EDID you wanted it to. So far its working OK on my celeron NUC although I havent conclusively proven the problem has gone away since it didnt happen repeatedly in the first place, and I havent done enough testing. But it's free and worth a go!
(2014-05-22, 07:30)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Image:
]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55728161/vdpau-settingshowto.png

Thanks Fritsch, but I don't see this option under acceleration in the latest OE builds of Gotham, must it be enabled by a special option in advancedsettings.xml?

(2014-05-22, 05:54)-DDD- Wrote: [ -> ]SW Filters for VAAPI are enabled on your System?

Ah, this is the piece I'm missing, how are SW filters for VAAPI enabled? I will also search around for this. Thanks.
I may not have understood correctly your question, but there is an option for HW acceleration which enables to select codec by codec which one is accelerated.

VC1 is kind of special though as I have two options for it. One is about allowing SW decoding (and is mentioned to crash on intel GPUs...)

I'am in expert mode, and this menu is located under video/playing options

Edit: I use OE since Beta 1 and activated the auto update option.
Ah, I think I might know what the issue is. I wanted to play with this option on an older i3 and just remembered I have an Nvidia GPU in this box, which would probably explain what is going on. Box is not in front of me but I can test this later thanks for replies from all.
(2014-05-22, 11:02)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-22, 08:45)Thalatta Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone having EDID/HDMI handshake issues with their NUC and receiver? I just purchased a D34010WYK which I am trying to connect via my HK AVR 1700 receiver, but I can't get it to work consistently. Works fine when plugged directly into my tv however. I've heard that little device made by Gefen called the HDMI Detective Plus can fix this, but I'd like to avoid spending another $100 if I can...

Everything worked fine with my Acer REvo that that NUC is replacing, so I'm pretty stumped.

Thanks!

I have a possible EDID problem with my celeron NUC in so much as when it is left on but receiver/TV are turned off, I get a resolution change and XBMC sometimes ends up weird after everything comes back on again. On my i3 NUC I cant say as it is in a bedroom with no receiver. But as fritsch mentioned, you can do in software what that Gefen thing does in hardware, ie present a specific EDID to your NUC at all times, rather than it dynamically changing. There is a tool called Monitor Asset Manager that lets you show the EDID being presented by your components (in theory even modify it if you need) then save that to a INF file (driver) that you can update the "generic monitor" device to use. In this way windows will only ever see the EDID you wanted it to. So far its working OK on my celeron NUC although I havent conclusively proven the problem has gone away since it didnt happen repeatedly in the first place, and I havent done enough testing. But it's free and worth a go!

Excellent - thanks for the info, I'll check out the Monitor Asset tool.
I have installed WMC and XBMC latest beta build on Windows 8.1 i5 NUC.

I have at home HDhomerun and with ServerWMC and I have configured XBMC to watch LiveTV. Everything (channels, recording, EPG) works fine with 5.1 DD passtough to AVR.
However now I want to watch HBO so i decided to test WMC (had to pay 10$ Sad ), however this one have strange issue.

When playing channel, it shows video but sound is in constant 2-3sec loop. After ~10sec the channel crash with error in WMC:
"your display driver is not configured properly to play video, restart WMC or restart Windows"

I have private laptop with Windows 7 + WMC and all channels are working fine there including one with DRM like HBO .

Does anyone have same issue ? I supect I am missing something in Windows 8.1 configuration or Intel just screwed something again...
So does everything else work properly in WMC, just not the HBO channel? What about other similar channels? If you make a recording of the channel and try and play that back later in WMC, do you get the same issue? What audio format does HBO use?

Have you updated all the Intel drivers including the Management Engine Interface and graphics card driver (including the HD audio driver in the graphics package)? Im not sure if the problem is audio related but you could also just try running HDMI directly to the TV (cut the AVR out of the equation) just as a troubleshooting step.
All channels are affected.
I have all latest drivers.

I found here:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/view...95&p=70674

Solution:

"If you open Control Panel > Sound make sure you have it set to 2.0 (Stereo)
If you have it set to 5.1 or 7.1 you can get that error in WMC.
There is some weird conflict in WMC/Windows, if you have it set to 5.1 in Windows and Windows Media Center that error will pop up.
What you want to do is try setting the Audio to Stereo in Windows (control panel > sounds)
and then open WMC > Tasks/Settings > General > Windows Media Center Setup > Set up your Speakers .. Go through the speaker setup and set it to 5.1 or 7.1 (depending on your speaker configuration).
This will get you surround sound in WMC and usually stops the "files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer." error from popping up"

Post about this:

"I've been dealing with this for the past week as I have hooked up my new NUC (intel haswell/ 5000 graphics) PC to a new Pioneer receiver (to a Vizio tv) via HDMI for the first time and have been losing my mind trying to figure out what the issue is. What is suggested by Newfiend is correct and will work but it makes it so nothing else you play besides TV will go across in 5.1. So MKV files lauched via Media Browser or My Movies and the like will be stereo only. The other option I've found is uncheck the option to allow apps to use Exclusive mode (last tab in the HDMI audio options). The challenge here is that you don't get bitstream, everything is PCM which isn't ideal if you would like the receiver to handle all decoding duties. I've not figured out how to make it all work like we'd expect.

*edit - should mention that the NUC was running win 8.1 and that I reproduced the same issue with a 3 year old Dell laptop running Win 7 & a ATI/AMD card and driver set. In both cases I was able to get it to usually work if I went to a recorded file and double clicked it (which launched media center to play) vs. trying to start it from within the media center interface. So it is an issue with Windows and some faulty/impatient/whatever code when it comes to its TV playback & audio via HDMI."

Did anyone solve it ?
The "5.1 bit streaming in WMC issue when Windows is configured for 5.1 speakers" issue has been going on for years, and years, and years. It's such a pain. Particularly if you want 5.1 bit streaming (so you can watch DTS DVDs) AND 5.1 PCM (for 5.1 AAC broadcasts - which we have in the UK)

It's one of the reasons I've almost totally switched to Linux XBMC and TV Headend.
Can i set stereo in Windows (instead of 5.1 setup) and still be able to do 5.1 or passthough in XBMC ?
Quick question... sorry for not reading all 212 pages first... But I just bought the BOXDN2820FYKH0 NUC, with 2GB of RAM and a Cruzer mini 16GB USB stick. I updated the BIOS to FY0034 and used the Intel OpenELEC build - links below. I created the boot disk using the create_livestick_osx script (I'm on OSX).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_...ldID=23879
http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/viewcate...tel-builds

I've tried two different USB sticks, both USB2. I've tried both ports on the back. It boots to NUC screen, then to the OpenELEC screen that asks me if I want to do "live" or "install". The default is live, and goes there after 5 seconds. The choice disappears and the OpenELEC background remains... and then that's it. Nothing changes. I left it there for a few minutes and nothing happens. The USB stick light flickers once and then nothing more. Does this process take a long time the first time?

The only thing I may have done to mess it up is that I chose "install" the very first time, by mistake ... but there's no hard drive in it, so it wouldn't have been able to install. I rebooted and went with live the next time. Could I have somehow messed something up?

I don't have a 2.5" HD to put in it, but that may be the next thing I try. But I was really hoping to get USB boot working.

UPDATE: I tried the BIOS settings suggested by the link below, under the OpenELEC section at the bottom, and still nothing (same behavior described above). I thought maybe disabling the UEFI boot might be the key, but apparently not.
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...033935.htm

UPDATE2: Which OpenELEC should I be using?? I've seen some (older) forums say you need a nightly build. Some say generic. Some say Intel. I've tried both OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-4.0.2 and OpenELEC-Intel.x86_64-3.2.4. Neither works. The Generic one looked promising, but it gave me 5 options and none of them were "boot from USB". The only options were for installing.

What the hell am I missing here?
Use OpenELEC 4.0.2 and here try the efi image.

Example: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...efi.img.gz

gunzip and write with dd or diskimager onto a USB stick. Btw. you are in the wrong thread. You neither have a hsw based nuc nor a core processor. See here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=187433
(2014-05-24, 07:30)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Use OpenELEC 4.0.2 and here try the efi image.

Example: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...efi.img.gz

gunzip and write with dd or diskimager onto a USB stick. Btw. you are in the wrong thread. You neither have a hsw based nuc nor a core processor. See here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=187433

Thanks - I'll give that a shot. Sorry for hitting the wrong thread. This was the top Google hit.

BTW, I figured out my problem... I was thinking the OpenELEC Generic USB stick would be the boot drive. It wants to install onto some other drive, so I need two USB drives - one to initially boot from (OpenELEC installer) and one to install onto and eventually boot from. I had to install from one to the other. Now it's working.