Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Haha that's a load of bs from Intel, hope it's a typo on their end. :-)

I have a nuc with 8gb of ram, two sticks, works just fine. Never had any issues.
(2014-07-23, 22:22)solamnic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-23, 21:35)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Or faulty RAM?

Why would you want that much RAM for an HTPC?

Both modules work on the upper slot... None of them works on lower slot..

( going to play a bit hearthstone Wink)

I once put two ram units of the same type in a 2 slot Mbd, and it kept freezing. It turn out that it only work properly, when I changed them around.
(2014-07-24, 20:18)solamnic Wrote: [ -> ]Intel answered:

"We have received your email and are happy to assist you.
Please we would like you to inform you that in most NUCs the lower slot does not work but you could test with a different memory.
The link below gives the list of supported memory configurations also the list of tested memory"

Are we serious? Lower slot DOES NOT WORK in NUCS?

Well just for fun (I do after all have a stack of these for my wife's office update) I just took a fresh one out of the box, put two fresh Crucial 2GB sticks (CT25664BF160B) in and it booted to BIOS fine, shows 4GB.

This "Intel" guy responding to your problem is a twerp.
2nd Question in Intel Support

Me:
Let me get this straight..
the lower memory slot that does not work is normal...?

Intel:
Thank you for contacting IntelĀ® Customer Support.
We have received your email and are happy to assist you.
We are writing to confirm to you that it is normal that the memory does not work on the lower slot. This is standard; it should definitely work in the upper slot.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You need to escalate this with a supervisor. The only reason I can think of in them saying this is if you are using a particular type of memory that is specifically identified as having this sort of issue (specific voltage, specs, etc)... in which case they should be able to direct you to a technical support link that explains this.

At this point I would request;

1. Ask to have your issue escalated.
2. Ask for something "official" from Intel that explains that the lower slot does not work.
3. Contact the vendor, seeking a refund and include a copy of the Intel support idiots email... sometimes the vendor has more pull and can get more resources involved than you as an end user.
I returned the unit to my vendor, in order to be checked by their technical stuff ..

I will have answers within this week...

By the way...
it is really really weird for intel to release a unit with non working ddr slot....

the world of computers never ceases to amaze me Smile Smile Smile
They even state in their own spec that it has 2 slots:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034586.htm
(2014-07-25, 16:39)Diapason Wrote: [ -> ]They even state in their own spec that it has 2 slots:

Exactly, send that link to the support person and ask them to explain why they are casually telling you over email it is not supported when their own documentation clearly states it does!
I notice that the RAM you bought is 2133 MHz, could that be causing problems since the NUC is spec'ed for 1333 and 1600? (I don't know enough about such things to even know where this is sensible to suggest. Tell me to shut up if that's appropriate!!)
(2014-07-25, 16:44)Diapason Wrote: [ -> ]I notice that the RAM you bought is 2133 MHz, could that be causing problems since the NUC is spec'ed for 1333 and 1600? (I don't know enough about such things to even know where this is sensible to suggest. Tell me to shut up if that's appropriate!!)

kingston reports it as nuc 34010 compatible... (have send them also an email.. Nod)

(2014-07-25, 16:40)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-25, 16:39)Diapason Wrote: [ -> ]They even state in their own spec that it has 2 slots:

Exactly, send that link to the support person and ask them to explain why they are casually telling you over email it is not supported when their own documentation clearly states it does!

Question sent... Nod
I finally have found success using my m2tech HiFace Two USB S/PDIF on the NUC (D54250WYK). m2tech FINALLY has posted an updated firmware and drivers for all of their xmos based converters. I guess it really was an incompatibility with the NUCs USB3.0. Everything works great now!
http://www.m2tech.biz/it/firmware_update_xmos.html
I'm finally able to listen to music directly through my dac using XBMC as an interface. Granted I do get better audio with different software, but I have a MacBookPro for that. However, xbmc has lots of audio add-ons and now they all sound much better!
Just an FYI, new bios 27 is out for the 4010U model.

Specifically:
Quote:*Updated processor support.
*Fixed issue where certain mini-PCIe devices are not detected.
*Fixed issue where infrared remotes do not power on the system
with OpenElec*.
*Added support for IntelĀ® Ready Mode Technology.

Very impressed that they updated the firmware to address a specific Openelec issue.
Yeah, I wonder how long it took people moaning at Intel to actually get it addressed.

Kind of frustrating though to see a BIOS release for the 4010U model (which for me works perfectly) when meanwhile the baytrail celeron 2820 NUC still cannot do HD audio bitstream or NetFlix under Windows and the threads on the intel forums about this just go on for months of them "waiting for an answer from engineering" and such excuses.
You know nobody has to buy a NUC and the more I read these threads the more I think I'd be reluctant to recommend it. Great potential, shame about Intel.
In general my 3 are brilliant and I would reccomend them. But of course it's always disapopinting when the vendor doesnt improve/resolve things in a quick manner or at all. At the end of the day they still do alot of stuff RIGHT and the form factor, specs and so on are still appealing. I can live without HD bitstream from the celeron on windows... if it was that important to me Id just install OpenElec where it works. But that said, Id still like Intel to fix it!